15" Sub with Songtowers

ckullmann1

15" Sub with Songtowers
« on: 30 Mar 2012, 07:18 pm »
Does anyone use a 15" sub with their Songtowers?  If so, does it work well for both music and HT?I'm in a 20 x 20 room (3,600 cu ft) and plan to purchase a sub mainly for HT (although I might use it for music at some point -- not that I currently feel the STs need it!) and wondered if 15" would work well with my Songtowers.  I don't want to error on the small side b/c there's no way my wife will let me put two subs in the room.  I know Songtowers extend much lower than their woofer size would suggest, but the Rythmik site suggests the 15" is best suited for 6.5" woofers or larger. Thanks.   

chargedmr2

Re: 15" Sub with Songtowers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:02 pm »
I'll be interested to see the replies to this thread as I am in a very similar situation.  My room is just a bit larger (4100 cu ft), I am running SongTowers (which I love!), and getting one sub into the room will be challenge enough given my WAF concerns.  Are you thinking of having Jim build you a sub, or are you considering other options?

drgn95

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:07 pm »
I'm using dual Hsu. -VTF-15's in my setup and they blend together very well. I wanted Rhythmic's but were out of my price range. I listen to both music and movies, etc

pelliott321

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:13 pm »
do not waste your time with one, if you do you will be getting a second one soon after

dap7777

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2012, 01:45 am »

Does anyone use a 15" sub with their Songtowers?  If so, does it work well for both music and HT?I'm in a 20 x 20 room (3,600 cu ft) and plan to purchase a sub mainly for HT (although I might use it for music at some point -- not that I currently feel the STs need it!) and wondered if 15" would work well with my Songtowers.

I use a single Epik Empire sub - dual 15" I think- with my HT2-TL's (replacing my Songtowers) but in a smaller room than yours. As was true with the Songtowers, I think the sub adds glorious, visceral bass punch to movies and to some music (think Bach organ or rock & roll).  I've read others on this site who IMO imply that adding a sub to their Salk's is beneath them.  In the off chance I find myself getting based out, I simply turn off the sub or turn it down, but that happens rarely as I have the crossover set at about 50 or 60 as I recall.  Spacewise the sub is big enough, though, that two of them would be impratical as well as sonic overkill.  For me anyway.

ricardojoa

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2012, 06:22 am »
im using the rythmik 15, but if i can do it again i will go with dual 12 for my room, not because the 15 is not suitable for the ST, but dual set up will definetely be better once you have dealt with a single sub. The sweet spot is smaller. Also, i think the 15 cabinet is a little too big, i like two smaller cabinets. :lol:

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2012, 09:47 pm »
^ Why is a 15 not suitable for SongTower's?  I think it's perfect for them.

I'm using dual 15's (sealed) and I can vouch for them making an improvement in every aspect, especially if you apply PEQ below the crossover.  Both of you will benefit from one of Jim's amazing custom Salk/Rythmik 15" subwoofers.  The bracing inside the cabinets is a step above most companies, and the cabinet walls are nice and thick.  With the servo technology, a very good woofer and 600 watts of power they'll fill your rooms with great bass and open up the midrange a bit on the ST's, making them sing even sweeter.  I highly recommend getting a 15" sealed or passive subwoofer fellas!