jcotner

Here's one for Danny.....
« on: 31 May 2012, 10:06 am »
Danny if you were going to design an ultimate 2 way nearfield monitor
that had no cost constraints, what sort of general parameters would
you set? I say no constraints but let's say under 3K for drivers and
components. If you think one of the N speakers is already there
I would find that impressive, but just wanting to see if you ever
considered a design that's a little outside your normal box.

And I talking about a true reference level monitor. Flat and
accurate to an extreme. Something good enough for any
top engineer in Nashville or LA or NYC to consider top rate.

Which drivers (indulge me here), ScanSpeak, SEAS, Accuton
Neo, GR-drivers, all fair game.
Cabinet configuration (ported, sealed, transmision line).

Something that probably wouldn never make it into your product
line up because it didn't make sense for the masses.
If I am wasting your time on a dream speaker I understand, but
really couldn't resist the temptation to ask and it's something I'd
like to build some day if I find the right design.

Danny Richie

Re: Here's one for Danny.....
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2012, 03:50 pm »
Sometimes I wonder if you guys have been intercepting my e-mail communications.  :?

I am doing design work for a new company that involves designs centered around performance objectives without cost constraints. You won't find any info on the company. It is completely new. The company is called Serenity Acoustics.

They have in fact asked me to design a mini-monitor that can be used in any room, near or far away from a rear wall yet still maintain a flat and accurate response in any room.

Initial testing leads me to believe this mini-monitor could set a new bench mark. How about a very small mini-monitor that is only 6.5" wide, has an extremely accurate response, is time and phase coherent, has 93db sensitivity, is an easy load to drive with a relatively flat impedance that is a pure resistive load, requires no current demand from your amp, and plays to a -3db of 20Hz.

Sounds too good to be true huh?

The Mini monitor uses a pair of Neo drivers covering from 200Hz and up. The stand that holds the little monitor has a pair of 8" servo subs in a side firing configuration. The Neo's are super fast and clean presenting the clearest mid-range that I have ever heard from a speaker. And the servo subs are covering from 200Hz and down. The servo subs are completely adjustable from damping settings low frequency extension filters. So they will play as low as you want them to or roll off starting as high as 40Hz.

The cabinets are somewhat complex to build utilizing some curved shapes and thick walls. It will look really sharp! This is no DIY design. These will be sold fully assembled and with a factory direct model. So prices will be reasonable. You just pick your finish.

How's that?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2012, 04:03 pm »
When?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2012, 04:12 pm »
When?

I wish I could give you a date of completion. I am working on several designs for them all at once and several cabinet builders are working on prototype cabinets. So much of what takes the most time is not within my direct control. 

LarryB

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2012, 05:09 pm »
My impression is that in the past few years, state of the art speakers are increasingly using novel (and proprietary) drivers whose performance was not previously possible.

Ribbons can do things that many (most) dome tweeters can not (though of course, many ribbons have ther own problems).  That said, a major problem with ribbons is blending them with traditional cone mid/woofers, as the latter invariably sound "slower" than the ribbons.  Based on what I've heard with the Super V's, the servo subs may be an ideal candidate to solve this problem.

I hope Danny wil keep us posted regarding this new monitor.

Larry

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2012, 05:14 pm »
I wish I could give you a date of completion. I am working on several designs for them all at once and several cabinet builders are working on prototype cabinets. So much of what takes the most time is not within my direct control.

:whip:

jcotner

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2012, 06:28 pm »
Sometimes I wonder if you guys have been intercepting my e-mail communications.  :?

OK yeah well I've been driving over from Bonham, Tx to Iowa Park and intercepting your wi-fi.
Didn't you see the van on the street? ..... Sorry never been there and don't own a van.  :wink:

This is a design that has always been of interest to me and I've got a speaker now that's
supposed to do that now, but didn't build it because the guy that sold it to me has abandonded
DIY for finished speakers. I insist that whatever I use and recommend has to be kit. Otherwise
I would have gone PMC or Meyers for these monitors a long time ago.

What about a base speaker without the sub that maybe doesn't have to be a swiss army knife
for all rooms? Let the builder handle the subs and integration but give them the killer performance
from 200Hz up. That's really what I was hinting at. For reference monitoring, imagining and performance
above a couple hundred Hz is where it is at anyway. BTW I've been using some IL-60s for over 10
years that are set up kind of like what your describing and they work well and are great speakers
but not for recording work.

Also maybe make the amplifier requirments a little more rigid, like an Aragon (which I use) or
Bryston or something like that. Something that could allow the speaker to be a kit.
I guess kit is kind of a major factor to me. That's being said what is the target retail price
for this contract speaker you're doing?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2012, 06:32 pm »
Sounds too good to be true huh?
Yes it did...until I read the part about the stand being part of the system, you sly dog :P

nrenter

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2012, 12:23 am »
How's that?

F'ing awesome! I wonder if Roy J over at GMA would pour some marble "cabinets" for your project.

HT cOz

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2012, 01:23 am »
Are the bases sealed or ob?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2012, 01:48 am »
If they are side firing servo woofers, probably not OB.  That would put the listener in the null. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2012, 02:14 am »
HAL is correct the stands with the side firing 8" servo subs are sealed.

jcotner

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jun 2012, 02:28 am »
If I am wasting your time on a dream speaker I understand, but
really couldn't resist the temptation to ask and it's something I'd
like to build some day if I find the right design.

Sigh...I feel like my thread kind of got hijacked somewhere along the way or
perhaps I'm being ignored.  :roll: but I did say build which implies kit.
So I do understand busy (which undoubtely you are) but I'm perfectly willing
to call this a someday speaker just to get it classified as a kit.

In the meantime I'm getting some reference headphones until I can find the speaker
described above in kit form.  :D

HT cOz

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jun 2012, 02:29 am »
If they are side firing servo woofers, probably not OB.  That would put the listener in the null.

I should have picked up on that  :duh:

persisting1

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2012, 05:08 am »
Sigh...I feel like my thread kind of got hijacked somewhere along the way or
perhaps I'm being ignored.  :roll: but I did say build which implies kit.
So I do understand busy (which undoubtely you are) but I'm perfectly willing
to call this a someday speaker just to get it classified as a kit.

In the meantime I'm getting some reference headphones until I can find the speaker
described above in kit form.  :D

Are you wanting Danny to design you a pair? I read this as a rhetorical question instead of someone waiting to build this speaker. I'm sure you can pay him to design you your dream speaker.
If he has the time of course.

I say rhetorical due to this thread about top shelf monitors.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103720.0

jcotner

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2012, 05:54 am »
Are you wanting Danny to design you a pair? I read this as a rhetorical question instead of someone waiting to build this speaker. I'm sure you can pay him to design you your dream speaker.
If he has the time of course.

I say rhetorical due to this thread about top shelf monitors.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103720.0

I originally framed this hypothetical monitor as a kit (maybe in a subtile way) and Danny says
here is a speaker but it's not a kit and that's the last I heard about the hypothetical monitor as
a kit.  So yes I would wait for this speaker as a kit because what Danny offered up is a finished
speaker and my hypothetical monitor is a kit as described originally.

To me this is a little different than a top shelf monitor because I'm talking about a reference
monitor. Room type is very specific and for nearfield mixdown use. Probably a speaker for a small
minority anyway.

I'm a degreed design engineer and one thing I understand well is NRE. Danny could be contracted
to build this one off speaker but after I coughed up the design cost and factor in lead time I just
as well buy the PMCs or the Meyers. I was kind of pressing for a speaker that I just haven't quite
seen in kit form yet. I had one I thought was close but it's not available anymore and that
designer doesn't do kits anymore either. Maybe this is just not a speaker that makes sense for the
DIY community. The complex cabinet is what makes the PMC special so I'm not surprised Danny
has taken the same route. I can build a pretty complex cabinet but once again maybe the market
is just not there.

And that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jun 2012, 06:20 am »
Danny, when you say "The Mini monitor uses a pair of Neo drivers covering from 200Hz and up" you mean a Neo10 and a Neo3 per side?

2bigears

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2012, 06:42 am »
 :D  sign me up .....  just what i have been looking for ..... :D    Send me a pair soon as they are done Danny...... :D

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jun 2012, 07:26 am »
Forget all this stuff. I want to see the new GR Research designs.  :)

2bigears

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jun 2012, 07:32 am »
 :D  so interested in a good monitor ????  :D
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2012, 05:35 pm by 2bigears »