HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server

LarryB

Re: HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server
« Reply #60 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:47 pm »
Pardon the Newbie question:

Are the battery operation and SSD the main advantages over (1) a Netbook, or
(2) a touch-screen-all-in-one computer such as one of these (the price of which is similar to this unit + monitor + keyboard + mouse)?

Thanks in advance.

Larry

HAL

« Reply #61 on: 25 Oct 2011, 11:36 pm »
Pardon the Newbie question:

Are the battery operation and SSD the main advantages over (1) a Netbook, or
(2) a touch-screen-all-in-one computer such as one of these (the price of which is similar to this unit + monitor + keyboard + mouse)?

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Larry,
One of the advantages of going to the small MS-1 format was getting the power supplies out of the unit.  The Netbook is a great starting system, but found that the display power supply was causing some noise issues.  This was eliminated with the MS-1.

I do use the Netbook as the remote control for the MS-1 as well as an Android Tablet.  I find the Netbook is a bit easier to use for remote control as I am still getting use to the Tablet format touch screen.   Integrating it with a touch screen monitor is possible, but not tested at this time.

All the users so far are running the MS-1 off the external AC supply.  The comments so far are based on that configuration. 

I am using a BatteryBUSS with my unit and learning what is best for the setup.  Once I have it optimzed then I will be able to discuss what is the next step.

Hope this helps.

Rich

LarryB

« Reply #62 on: 26 Oct 2011, 12:25 am »
Much obliged Rich.  It sounds like you have a real winner on you hands.

Larry

HAL

« Reply #63 on: 28 Oct 2011, 01:54 am »
Looks like I will be delivering unit #5 in person for listening trials.   :D

LarryB

« Reply #64 on: 28 Oct 2011, 05:11 pm »
"for listening trials."

Thankfully, without the tribulations. :)

HAL

« Reply #65 on: 29 Oct 2011, 07:06 pm »
For customers that purchase an external 1TB eSATA drive with the MS-1, I will preload the sampler HiRez files from four of the on-line music websites.

Here is the list:

HDTracks
HDTT
BlueCoastRecords
LessLoss

They are identified as each company on the disc. 

This should make it easy to start your HiRez listening experience and expose folks to websites where to obtain HiRez downloads.  These include 24bit/96KHz, 24bit/192KHz and DSDIFF stereo files.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #66 on: 1 Nov 2011, 04:51 pm »
Rich, I'm curious about your take on battery power for the MS-1.  Any impressions yet?

HAL

« Reply #67 on: 1 Nov 2011, 05:27 pm »
Scott,
I am home with sinus issues, so my ears are not the best at this point. :(

The BatteryBUSS is ready and will setup the battery powered Borbely headphone amp today for trials against AC power.  This is going to be tried with my 12VDC@40Ah LiFe battery pack.   :D

If you hear a loud noise, it might be me with singed eye brows and hair standing on end!   :o

HAL

« Reply #68 on: 4 Nov 2011, 07:59 pm »
Ok, the battery voltage has to get to 13.2VDC so the MS-1 power supply will start-up.  It has been at 13.3VDC for a week with the DAC running.  I think I need to build a voltage dropping circuit to give this a try.   :scratch:

HAL

« Reply #69 on: 5 Nov 2011, 03:09 am »
Building unit #6 for my sister-in-law as a HTPC.   

Will see what happens when we tie it to her HDTV. 

HAL

« Reply #70 on: 11 Nov 2011, 01:33 am »
The MS-1 #6 install as a HTPC is complete.  She bought a copy of The Green Lantern to check out Blu-Ray video and it looked very good using the HDMI interface to her 1080p HDTV.   The Blu-Ray drive worked well with Cyberlink PowerDVD11 Ultra!

Replaced the SSD with a 500GB SATA drive for her to store pictures and videos of the family.

HAL

« Reply #71 on: 11 Nov 2011, 07:24 pm »
MS-1 #7 is built and will be installed tomorrow at my friends house.

Will also bring along a Musiland Monitor 01US asyncronous USB DAC for him to try in his system. 

This should be interesting.

Will be going back to my 12V 75Ah AGM battery for the DC trials coming up.   :D

HAL

« Reply #72 on: 14 Nov 2011, 02:30 am »
Did not get to the battery trials this weekend.

Did the install of Unit #6 and so far it is doing very well as her HTPC.  Added the WiFi setup for her today and got her interconnect connection working again so she can do internet radio and streaming video via her HDTV.

Unit #7 is an interesting story.  It went to another friends house for initial trials for gaming and high quality audio.  Looking forward to his comments after the integration is complete and his game arrives.   

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #73 on: 14 Nov 2011, 02:45 am »
Do you currently have the MS plugged directly into the wall, or is there Uberbuss/equivalent reducing noise? 

HAL

« Reply #74 on: 14 Nov 2011, 02:50 am »
Scott,
I have it plugged directly into the wall at this point.

The UberBUSS is yet another trial.   I have to take it out of the system to give it a try with the MS-1. 

HAL

« Reply #75 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:41 am »
MS-1, unit #5 is ready for install this Saturday.   :D

HAL

« Reply #76 on: 20 Nov 2011, 01:28 pm »
MS-1 #5 is installed and sounded very good to me with the customers DAC and system.   :D

LarryB

« Reply #77 on: 22 Nov 2011, 06:20 pm »
As the recipient of MS-1 unit #5, I am very impressed.  It is an excellent addition to my system, and sounds better than my optical drive.  I am indebted to Rich for his help in setting it up, and for his patience in teaching me the procedures for its use.

Regards,

Larry Borden

HAL

« Reply #78 on: 22 Nov 2011, 10:38 pm »
Larry,
I am very glad that you like listening to the MS-1.  That is what made this a fun project helping folks get better sounding music from their existing collection.  Accessing the HiRez music libraries that now exist just adds to the musical experience.

It was my pleasure to install it and teach you the functionality.   Had a great time listening to your setup while giving it a trial without tribulation!   :wink:

Best,
Rich

HAL

« Reply #79 on: 4 Dec 2011, 05:06 am »
Back to some listening trials.

Connected the PC system to the BatteryBUSS using my 75Ah AGM battery with a full charge.   Dave suppled me with cables for both the MS-1 and the external eSATA drive.  Tied this to my DIY DAC and Borbely Audio SE DC coupled headphone amp driving my Sennheiser HD650's running off separate battery supplies as they do not run off 12VDC.

The last vestiges of noise floor are gone, leaving low level details to be there when expected, in comparison to the 12V and 5V switching power supplies they normally require.  This is noticable in low level passages in music.  This seems to help the most with classical and jazz recordings, but even in some rock/pop recordings can be evident. 

Is this a huge change, no.  It is more like the icing on the cake!  :D