long run cables

callglobalbob

long run cables
« on: 24 Feb 2018, 12:29 am »
I have a rear set surround speakers.
They are Kirksaeter model #260.
They match the front set, with matching numbers.

I have them 23' from the surround amps.
I have Kimber 12TC on the fronts, but cost is prohibitive from buying 46' of that awesome cable.

can anyone recommend something that is decent and modestly priced?

I will welcome all suggestions.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: long run cables
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2018, 12:44 am »
I have a rear set surround speakers.
They are Kirksaeter model #260.
They match the front set, with matching numbers.

I have them 23' from the surround amps.
I have Kimber 12TC on the fronts, but cost is prohibitive from buying 46' of that awesome cable.

can anyone recommend something that is decent and modestly priced?

I will welcome all suggestions.
Do your own cables, speaker cables are easiet than power cables to mount that is just solder if it use connector if use bare wire it not need nor even solder, for raw cables look PE, Sonic Craft or OCCMetal.
http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/wire-speaker-c-296_179

https://www.parts-express.com/cable-pants-14mm-2-conductor-black-10-pcs--082-784

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2018, 02:32 am »
Welcome - Monoprice has some good items too - e.g. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2817

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2018, 01:56 pm »
Since these are rear (surround) speakers, you don't need ultimate fidelity cables for adequate sonics. Power will be (relatively) low. None the less, at 23' you will want at least 14GA and you could consider 12GA, although the cost difference will be fairly large with the larger cable.

Although many people recommend Monoprice cable, they offer marginal Chinese-manufactured examples that compare poorly to others. At least some spools of Monoprice 2747 12GA cable has been found to be Copper Clad Aluminum. CCA has lower current capacity compared to copper, is considerably more brittle (so breakage of strands is a problem) and is generally not recommended; standard rule of thumb is to derate by 3AWG, so the 2747 is equivalent to 15GA copper.

That Monoprice 2747 is not pure copper is also borne by other comparisons that show it to be lighter (50 ft spools 12GA) and tests to have higher resistance than what you should expect.

If you can afford it, I would recommend Belden 5000UP (12GA), about a buck a foot from Parts Express or in 100' spools from many vendors. PE also has their own branded pure copper speaker wire at about $25/50' spool 12GA.

john1970

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2018, 02:44 pm »
I would also check out BlueJeans cable for unterminated speaker cables:

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

12 ga. Belden cable goes for $0.63/ft and 10 ga. Belden cable goes for $1.14/ft.

Good luck,

John

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2018, 02:58 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, callglobalbob.  Many good suggestions so far and more on the way I'm sure.  You might also consider buying used and you might find an affordable deal on the Kimbers you mention.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2018, 06:00 pm »
Rear speakers do not need much in the way of cable except thick copper.
I would buy some ordinary 12 gauge wire for surround speakers that far away.

If you could hear a difference between 12 gauge copper and Kimber in surrounds in ordinary use that far away.. wow.....

But if you insist, try Kimber 4VS

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2018, 09:46 pm »
I agree with the above.  Use a 10-12g wire. Blue Jeans cables sells belden 10-14g cable at great prices if you go unterminated and terminate them your self.  I use the 10g in my main system.  They sound as good as anything that I have tried at 13 feet from my amp.

If you feel that you need or want something higher end, the take a look at Analysis Plus Chocolate-

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ANCHOV&opt=3564|1325

I have also seen it sold in bulk.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2018, 11:21 pm »
There is nothing wrong with Blue Jeans Cable, but their shipping charges are higher than Parts Express ($7 or free). Other good vendors are Markertek (free shipping any order) and Redco.

For example West Penn Wire Super 25227B 12GA from Markertek is $26 shipped for 50 feet. It's a quality cable, CL2 rated, meets NEC fire codes for in-wall, oxygen free copper.

There are many options, I don't intend to do your shopping for you. But basically as others have said, 12GA from a reputable vendor. I do not consider Monoprice to be reputable, and why not buy a US or Japan or European-made cable when you have the choice? It's not more expensive than Chinese junk.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2018, 11:35 pm »
There is nothing wrong with Blue Jeans Cable, but their shipping charges are higher than Parts Express ($7 or free). Other good vendors are Markertek (free shipping any order) and Redco.
I must say I never got buy at PE in the past, as they always refused to ship to my country, now already some years they are shiping to my country, by express freight only and with Customs Duties pay in advance... :duh:

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2018, 11:43 pm »
I must say I never got buy at PE in the past, as they always refused to ship to my country, now already some years they are shiping to my country, by express freight only and with Customs Duties pay in advance... :duh:

Oh, if you're outside the US you *really* don't want to be buying from Monoprice, as your shipping cost for a 50' spool of cable would be probably in excess of $US50, and Blue Jeans is also very expensive for international delivery. PE is good as are a number of other vendors, but in most cases not the ones most US residents typically recommend.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2018, 11:59 pm »
Oh, if you're outside the US you *really* don't want to be buying from Monoprice, as your shipping cost for a 50' spool of cable would be probably in excess of $US50, and Blue Jeans is also very expensive for international delivery. PE is good as are a number of other vendors, but in most cases not the ones most US residents typically recommend.
The only US shop is possible to buy in US is Madisound, they ship by USPS at flat rate.

ripeart

« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2018, 06:27 am »
I bought a pair of SVS cables when they went on special and loved the quality of the terminations (banana/spade). I think you would get the same quality with cheaper cable, heck even zip cord. However if you're looking for something that looks nice and is built well for not too much more than a monoprice cable I"d highly recommend.

ripeart

« Reply #13 on: 26 Feb 2018, 06:01 am »
Left a word out....

I think you would get the same quality with cheaper cable

Same 'audio' quality.