Cancelled my Tidal subscription

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
Cancelled my Tidal subscription
« on: 25 Jan 2018, 03:08 am »
Sort of ironic considering how much bitchin' I did over Bryston's Tidal interface. But after about a year, realized it wasn't worth $20/month to me (YMMV).

My main complaint is how Tidal organizes music. Jazz and Classical, for example, are single giant categories, instead of breaking it down like Roon does.  (But I also didn't continue my complimentary Bryston Roon subscription.)

I will now be building a library of high rez downloads and others as I find them.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Cancelled my Tidal subscription
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2018, 03:26 am »
I will now be building a library of high rez downloads and others as I find them.

:thumb:

Pundamilia

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2018, 05:02 am »
I too have lost interest in Tidal. My original objective was to learn more about the newer music that I was "missing out on". I'm now back to listening to the music that I currently have and really enjoy. :D

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2018, 05:38 am »
I too have lost interest in Tidal. My original objective was to learn more about the newer music that I was "missing out on". I'm now back to listening to the music that I currently have and really enjoy. :D
Thank You. Not even necessarily newer music, for example, I heard some Bossa Nova (independent from Tidal), and thought, I like that. So I put it in their search engine, and only got things with Bossa Nova with that name in the title (like a compilation), but not selections based on that genre, Tidal's search function stinks.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2018, 10:25 am »
Tidal's interface, and even more so, their search functions, could use some help, as you point out. I have found things I missed originally  by 'tweaking' my search more than I should have to. It doesn't parse multiple terms or suggest alternatives to possible typos. Apple's search is much more effective, their discovery is 50 times better, and if they came out with a lossless option, I'd drop Tidal like a rock. (They don't care enough about SQ to do that though.) Re your complaint about how it handles Classical, the other problem is its artist-focused interface. Searching for a particular release can be difficult. Want to search by label? Forget it. Genres other than pop are the stepchildren. But until it improves or some better option emerges, I'm keeping it, warts and all.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2018, 11:16 am »
Yeah, I'm disappointed in it too.  Either not much available in my interests or too hard to search if you don't know artists. 

Signed up for the free 6 months deal, then found out my internet service/wireless router needed an upgrade (frequent drop outs).  Will cost $370+ to install fiber optic service after winter/spring conditions relent and by then the free deal will be up.   :(

gbaby

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2018, 02:53 pm »
Sort of ironic considering how much bitchin' I did over Bryston's Tidal interface. But after about a year, realized it wasn't worth $20/month to me (YMMV).

I think many of us have wrongfully given Bryston a hard time at one point or another. At least you are honest enough to acknowledge it.  :oops:

dburna

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2018, 02:57 pm »
Well, I must be an outlier.....because I really LIKE Tidal.  I have recently been getting into ambient and electronica, and Tidal has a lot in this area that I can't get anywhere else.  I have a lengthy "wish list" of CDs, and Tidal has had most of that (esoteric) list, allowing me to check out the CDs before purchasing.

I guess it just depends on what you are seeking.  I have yet to try any of the curated lists, but that's next on my agenda.

-dGB

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2018, 03:00 pm »
I think many of us have wrongfully given Bryston a hard time at one point or another.

Bryston is not perfect. Criticism can lead to improvements.
cheers

DavidS

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2018, 04:26 pm »
I'm with dburna on this one - still feel like I own a record store where I can have any record I want whenever I walk in.  Used to carry lists around to buy cds - now instant gratification.  Probably have 2K cds and they are hardly played (even though my cd setup sounds great) because I am addicted to exploring new music (classical, folk, jazz, old rock) through Tidal and Roon.  Has been this way for pretty much 2 years now.

Krutsch

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2018, 04:41 pm »
+1 ... my 6-month free TIDAL subscription from Sprint just expired. I am not really listening to it much, so I let it go.

I find Spotify to be a better catalog for exploring new music and I already have a family plan for the wife & daughter.

If I like something, I order the CD or download it from HD Tracks, if it's available.

I am still using Roon, however, despite my earlier impression that it's value diminishes without TIDAL. I really like the Roon UI and I've grown accustomed to the features (e.g. Focus and Bookmarks).

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2018, 04:42 pm »
Personally I am tired of the complications and failings so reliably included in nearly everyone's software. Technology has helped me many times to be sure but, on balance, it is becoming more trouble than it is worth. So, to remain on point, I will say that Tidal looked like more trouble than it was worth to me so I dropped them today. Among other problems I, like some other posters, found it difficult to navigate and it seemed to be designed for a demographic that does not favor me. I believe I am experiencing encroachment as a very fine membrane of Luddite is slowly developing between me and my computer. I especially don't like feeling as if my computer is the portal through which I invite abuse.
With government protections a thing of the past, I wonder what recourse will remain if ever I am hacked and need assistance. It is starting to look like anything goes.

mav52

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2018, 04:50 pm »
I'm keeping my Tidal. No issues streaming with my Lumin or its app.  And I'm finding new music each day.   And I still have over 3000 CD's, 400 - 500 LP's. So right now I'm still happy with the music I do discover on Tidal.  OF course, with the Lumin no windows PC  its all controlled by an ipad.  Lumin > Ethernet right to my > Netgear modem and out to my carrier to a 115 Mbps down/12up service. No issues at all.  So darn simple the wife can use it.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2018, 05:07 pm »
   That is why I still spin those silver discs on my dedicated 44.1 transport. The music server has only music I put in it. For new music WBGO radio and music reviews.
 Everyone wants a piece of you. For me they cannot have it.

charles

rbbert

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2018, 05:20 pm »
...I will now be building a library of high rez downloads and others as I find them.
Just wait 'til all you can buy is MQA or MP3  :cry:

JDoyle

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2018, 05:20 pm »
I'm on the very brink of starting this (just setting up my gear now; a brand new Player/Dac/Amp & Speakers are almost complete) and I am a bit confused.  I thought Roon organized and played the music that it received from Tidal. 

How exactly does this work?

Thanks,

JD

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jan 2018, 05:28 pm »
Just wait 'til all you can buy is MQA or MP3  :cry:

No thank you. That is why those shiny discs will never leave my home. 44.1 done right is all I need. With dedicated transport and state of art DAC I'm in like Flynn.

charles

geowak

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2018, 06:22 pm »
I like Tidal overall and will be keeping it. I like all the new MQA albums which are really building up a library of music, but I don’t like the Jay Z hype and all the music that seems to cater to a younger audience. There appears to be more of those titles over say blues, jazz, clasical, or older albums. I think Tidal MQA might provide a spark to other streaming serives like Spotify or many others to offer hi-res content. That is good for those of us who like to stream. I am a big fan of this for the vast array of music I could not own and store myself.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jan 2018, 06:24 pm »
Interesting discussion. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the possibility of having immediate/instant access to millions of albums all for a meager $20 a month? Seriously, how can that NOT be worth $20??

Even if you own 10,000 or 20,000 albums (never mind the space required to keep 10K discs) that’s absolutely nothing, not even a drop in the bucket compared to having several million albums at your finger tips... And by the time you find a certain CD in your 10K collection and drop it into your CDP and push play, you could been half way through the album if you just streamed it.

dburna

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jan 2018, 06:50 pm »
Interesting discussion. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the possibility of having immediate/instant access to millions of albums all for a meager $20 a month? Seriously, how can that NOT be worth $20??

Even if you own 10,000 or 20,000 albums (never mind the space required to keep 10K discs) that’s absolutely nothing, not even a drop in the bucket compared to having several million albums at your finger tips... And by the time you find a certain CD in your 10K collection and drop it into your CDP and push play, you could been half way through the album if you just streamed it.

Yes, that's essentially where I have landed over time.  All the world's technological advances have not kept pace with people's expectations of what "should be"....nor could they.  People forget (conveniently) how far we have come from a technology standpoint.  Me, as I get older, my sense of gratitude grows about what I have (and to what I have access).  If anyone in the 70's or 80's had access to this many albums at the snap of their fingers, they would have had to be a millionaire.  Actually, even then it wasn't technically feasible to do so.  I am just grateful for what I have.  In this fast-paced world, the one thing I don't have time for is.....complaining.

Enjoy every sandwich,  -dGB