Affordable Record Cleaner

Don_S

Affordable Record Cleaner
« on: 14 Dec 2017, 01:43 am »
Recommendations?  I have a bunch of vinyl from my younger days.  Some of it is probably trashed.  Other albums have only been played once or twice to copy to cassettes.  I am thinking of resurrecting my TT.  I am sure all of the vinyl could be helped by cleaning.  I do not want to invest a bundle and I don't want to DIY.

Any good?
Record Doctor  http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RDKIT

Spin Clean  http://www.audioadvisor.com/images/g_SWSYS.jpg

johnto

Re: Affordable Record Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2017, 02:23 am »
If the records are just dirty cleaning will help, if all scratches probably not. I use a disc washer available for about $10 on eBay. If the record is real dirty (yardsale finds) alcohol on a lint free cloth will do the trick. Great your getting back to vinyl.

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2017, 04:26 am »
During my brief foray back into vinyl, I picked up a manual vac unit from a member. Don't remember the name of unit or member, but I thought it made a huge difference over what I remember from my days with records back when I was young. I have no idea if the spin doctor thingy works or not, but I just don't think wet brushes cut it. If on a budget, I would try to find the cheapest vac unit you can. Maybe something like the Record Doctor unit?

And a carbon fiber brush for daily use.

I mostly bought used vinyl and after cleaning, I would hear only an occasional tick or pop. Spend the money if you are committed to vinyl. Think of as essential component.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2017, 04:30 am »
RCM from the guy in Canada. It uses a vacuum. Super easy setup.

This one, can't beat it for price, NOT EVEN CLOSE.

GentleBender

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2017, 10:12 am »
Folsom is right! That thing has great performance for its price point. I already had a wet dry vac to attach and was able to clean so many records. I found a recipe for a great cleaning solution that is cheap to make and not harmful to the vinyl for a combo to clean some pretty dirty records I picked up as a big lot. :thumb:

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2017, 06:45 pm »
Hey Don,

The Squeaky Clean Vinyl is really hard to beat at that price point. I picked one up with an extra pickup wand and a cheap shop vac for about $240 CAD all in (about $192 USD). Mine came with a wet-clean brush but I also picked up a few MoFi and Disc Doctor brushes.

I tried the Spin Clean with mediocre results, skip that step and go straight to the vacuum system.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2017, 07:00 pm »
 DIY. A clean non static microfiber cloth. Dawn liquid soap. Clean the LP with diluted Dawn and distilled water once. WHY?? That is all it needs. Cleaning before each play is just BS IMH. clean is clean unless sleeve is dirty. Be careful not to get paper label wet. Easy peasy. Buy an antistatic record brush with ground wire. before playing after cleaning ALL you will need is the brush. The new Audioquest brush I hear is really good. Not a dealer of such.

charles

stevoz

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2017, 01:34 am »
At the risk of being pillored as I was on another US audio forum site, I'll put in a word for 'Revirginizer'. Take it from me, nothing will get your LP's back to pristine clean like 'Revirginizer' will. No, it won't 'fix' physical damage like scratches and scuffs but no cleaning method will.....but it will clean your vinyl 'groove deep', leave it looking like new and definitely improve SQ..... 8)