Help me pick a Bluetooth streamer please?

flavo

Help me pick a Bluetooth streamer please?
« on: 26 Nov 2017, 12:20 am »
I'm changing my room around and think I'm going to need to go wireless from my PC (Jriver) to my DAC (stealth DC1) that feeds the rest of the 2 channel setup.
Alternatively, I could run a digital cable from my PC to DAC but it would need to be close to 40 feet long.
My preferred method  would be to use my Iphone as a remote to control the Jriver on my PC that would send a signal to the BT receiver into my DAC.
I'm here asking because I've been reading reviews and I don't know if any of the BT units actually do this, as no one has spelled it out in there reviews. 
Does all that make sense?

Looking at the Bluesound node 2
Auralic Aries Mini
Ifi Nano iONE

Do those units do that? Should I consider any others that are on the lower end of the price point?

Thanks so much for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
Re: Help me pick a Bluetooth streamer please?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2017, 12:26 am »
I used this guy with excellent results for just basic streaming of Spotify etc...

https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-B1-Premium-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B00MHTGZR4

Digital and analogue out both sounded excellent....

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2017, 12:34 am »
You can stream Spotify directly from your phone or a tablet over Bluetooth, if you have a BT receiver plugged into your preamp. Resolution can be up to 16/44.1 (Redbook).

flavo

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2017, 01:16 am »
My apologies, I think I wasn't clear. I'm looking to stream lossless type files from my PC to the BT unit. I use Jriver which I currently have running to my DAC from my PC via a digitial cable. I can access my PC/Jriver with my Iphone. So I'm basically just looking to replace my digital cable from my PC with a some kind of  BT unit.  Will the AudioEngine B1 simply replace the cable from my PC to DAC?
Thanks

srb

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2017, 02:07 am »
Although the Audioengine B1 Bluetooth receiver is a pretty good one as far as Bluetooth receivers go, I'm not sure you really want to stream via Bluetooth as a replacement for your digital S/PDIF connection.

The best of the Bluetooth audio codecs, aptX, tops out at a bitrate of ~ 384kbps and is not lossless despite what some Bluetooth receiver vendors would have you believe.

Using one of the streaming devices you mentioned would allow you to stream losslessly via Wi-Fi and avoid the lower bitrate limitation of Bluetooth.

On the other hand, 40 feet is doable with a good quality coaxial S/PDIF cable and I currently have a 35 ft coaxial S/PDIF cable in use in a system.  It doesn't have to be super expensive, just known good quality such as Belden 1694A cable with Canare RCAP "quasi" 75Ω connectors which can be had for ~ $50 in a 40ft length.

If you only have an optical S/PDIF connection, either a very high quality plastic or a glass fiber cable would be more appropriate for that distance.  If one of the connections is a Mini-TOSLINK, avoid the use of a Mini-TOSLINK adapter and get a TOSLINK to Mini-TOSLINK cable.

Steve
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2017, 03:43 pm by srb »

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2017, 07:31 pm »
I'll underline the previous post that the best available bluetooth now (APT-X) is almost CD quality.

I use a BT receiver for things like Pandora.  There are several good ones.  The Audio Engine mentioned is one.  I have the Auris BluMe.

One of the differences in the ones up around $150 vs. those under $100 will be in the DAC.  You might not use the BT receiver's DAC, but these are a good way to insure good quality parts and manufacturing and the benefit of a digital out (the Auris has toslink optical out as well as analog RCA out).

srb

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2017, 07:53 pm »
I'll underline the previous post that the best available bluetooth now (APT-X) is almost CD quality.

384kbps vs. 1411kbps.

Also keep in mind that to utilize aptX™ in a Bluetooth receiver, on the transmitting end the Bluetooth adapter in a PC, phone or tablet must also be aptX™ enabled.

Steve

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2017, 10:24 am »
Bluetooth, even when using APTX HD is a lossy protocol.
I prefer a lossless one.
One very cheap option is Chrome Cast Audio. It does 24/96 max.
I have heard rumors that the Toslink is a bit jittery.

I recommend to have a look at UPnP/DLNA
This is a protocol with broad support
It is lossless and uses the home network.

JRiver supports  DLNA
There are plenty UPnP programs for the phone (turns it into a remote control)
What you need is a DLNA box at the DAC site
Have a look at  Sonore Sonic Orbiter, Auralic Aries Mini.

flavo

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2017, 12:25 am »
This is all great info folks! Thanks so much. Now to decide and buy something.

Vincent, I'm curious about the Chromecast audio. Have you used one? For the price I think I'm most likely going to pick one up to at least use on the secondary rig down stairs. Sounds pretty interesting and easy.

flavo

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2017, 01:00 am »
Also I have an Iphone and Ipad for remotes so I guess BT is pretty much out.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2017, 03:14 pm »
For the price I think I'm most likely going to pick one up to at least use on the secondary rig down stairs. Sounds pretty interesting and easy.

Do check if JRiver can cast to Chrome

zappan

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2017, 08:40 pm »
With the mentioned BS Node 2 you don't need your JRiver any more. Node is the player, your computer is just a storage. You can connect Node to your network via LAN cable or via WiFi. Node builds a library of your music from your shared disk, and you use your phone/tablet as remote control. Also supports streaming services and radio. Hassle-free, no expensive long running cables, and no lossy BT.

(probably with Aries you could do the same)