More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

restrav

Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #260 on: 14 Feb 2018, 07:21 pm »
in an amazing failure to meet the expectations, B&W P7s bass performance has been a let down. i was expecting colored, slightly v shaped, and fun i got thin sounding typical of closed back headphones, id call it analytical and sterile even. bass has no impact, compared with monolith M1060 that has he560 level of bass it is just a complete letdown.

with signstek even worse. signstek's headphone out is not good.

wushuliu

« Reply #261 on: 14 Feb 2018, 07:44 pm »
based on the innerfidelity measured response as well as subjective review it sounds like something is amiss. Measurements show it should be on the boomy bass side of things. Definitely not thin.

No, the signstek headphone out is not as impressive as line out to 2 channel.

wushuliu

« Reply #262 on: 14 Feb 2018, 07:44 pm »
FYI, I have an extra NIB Sabaj DA3 for sale in the trading post...

restrav

« Reply #263 on: 14 Feb 2018, 07:54 pm »
based on the innerfidelity measured response as well as subjective review it sounds like something is amiss. Measurements show it should be on the boomy bass side of things. Definitely not thin.

No, the signstek headphone out is not as impressive as line out to 2 channel.

yes it is the opposite of what i was expecting based exactly on those observations that you mentioned. my V-moda crossfade headphones trumps this p7 in bass and eberything else really. i am positively baffled.

JohnR

« Reply #264 on: 15 Feb 2018, 03:06 pm »
Sealed headphone measurements can be very sensitive to.. well, seal. Measurement differences can be dramatic. Do you wear glasses? - sometimes this is enough to ruin the response.

Sorry I just realized this is not a headphone thread...

wushuliu

« Reply #265 on: 15 Feb 2018, 03:35 pm »
Sealed headphone measurements can be very sensitive to.. well, seal. Measurement differences can be dramatic.

Pretty much what the innerfidelity review said about those headphones.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #266 on: 16 Feb 2018, 08:44 am »
Why are we talking about headphones, out of the blue?  Did someone post in the wrong circle?  This is the Cheap and Cheerful circle and the thread is about DACs for peanuts.

karnana

« Reply #267 on: 21 Feb 2018, 08:21 pm »
https://hifimediy.com/uda38pro-usb-dac-es9038pro

ES9038PRO + SA9227 for $249. Looks decent. So who is going to bite the bullet?

Edit: God I'm slow, there was already a thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155526.0

restrav

« Reply #268 on: 21 Feb 2018, 08:29 pm »
Why are we talking about headphones, out of the blue?  Did someone post in the wrong circle?  This is the Cheap and Cheerful circle and the thread is about DACs for peanuts.

Sorry it was entirely my bad.

Audio-gd R2R 11 is coming. im so excited about doing a comparison between Chord Hugo, Sabaj DA3, R2R-2, and schiit bimby (DAC only). ill do that as soon as it has over 100 hours on it.
it is very timely because i have a bunch of good value headphones in my possession. from Senn HD650 to hifiman HE400, to Modded fostex T50RP to monolith planars in addition to my stereo.

wushuliu

« Reply #269 on: 21 Feb 2018, 08:31 pm »
https://hifimediy.com/uda38pro-usb-dac-es9038pro

ES9038PRO + SA9227 for $249. Looks decent. So who is going to bite the bullet?

Already did. I created a separate thread about somewhere below this one. Unfortunately the 'quick shipping' that was offered for the first units was misleading - it's been 2 weeks and I still have not gotten a tracking number due to the Chinese New Year delays for all these companies. I am moving next week so if it's not delivered by then... So I'm already feeling like I'm getting what I paid for. It would have been better if they were just up front about the shipping.

bixby

« Reply #270 on: 22 Feb 2018, 09:57 pm »
I also bought a monoprice 3.5 mm to male RCa cable for 4.5 bucks off ebay, but ill be on the look put for a proper (thick and heavy lol) cable (length 1 to 3 feet) preferably OCC for under 35 bucks. i dont feel like taking a chance on chin fi so if anyone has 1st hand experience with real quality cables from Chinese suppliers please let me know. other than case that i find an amazing pure copper with good connector cable for cheap i will stick with the monoprice.

The Monoprice may be steel like the simple cable 3.5 to 3.5 I bought for the car.  Piece o crap.  Yet some of their stuff is really good.

I have a Belkin Gold in 6 foot length that sound pretty nice.  You could have that for about $10 plus ship.  I ordered an Audio Sensiblity cable for about $100 I believe that sounded really good, but sold it when I sold my Mojo.

Personally, I would go with a well made cable from one of the pro audio houses.  should not be a whole lot more than $35.

restrav

« Reply #271 on: 23 Feb 2018, 01:06 am »
The Monoprice may be steel like the simple cable 3.5 to 3.5 I bought for the car.  Piece o crap.  Yet some of their stuff is really good.

I have a Belkin Gold in 6 foot length that sound pretty nice.  You could have that for about $10 plus ship.  I ordered an Audio Sensiblity cable for about $100 I believe that sounded really good, but sold it when I sold my Mojo.

Personally, I would go with a well made cable from one of the pro audio houses.  should not be a whole lot more than $35.

no its pretty good for the price. it is thin but thats it. it is real thin copper
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9768

the RCA's are a little loose compared to my proper hifi interconnects but that it.

i wont be using it anyway. i just bought it in case i wanted to send the signal from sabaj to a premp but the situation is not gonna come up.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #272 on: 23 Feb 2018, 03:29 pm »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #273 on: 23 Feb 2018, 11:33 pm »
We're back.

For those areas that you have access to, you are welcome to participate in topics that are unrelated to your products. Please note that the Posting Guidelines always apply.

With regard to your own products, you are not permitted to discuss product availability, pricing, future product features, or anything related to your business activities.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=about;area=industry-participant
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2018, 05:02 am by Letitroll98 »

noise11

« Reply #274 on: 26 Feb 2018, 07:14 pm »
Sorry it was entirely my bad.

Audio-gd R2R 11 is coming. im so excited about doing a comparison between Chord Hugo, Sabaj DA3, R2R-2, and schiit bimby (DAC only). ill do that as soon as it has over 100 hours on it.
it is very timely because i have a bunch of good value headphones in my possession. from Senn HD650 to hifiman HE400, to Modded fostex T50RP to monolith planars in addition to my stereo.

do you think sabaj da3 it is a contender to chord hugo?  :o because I had my eyes on a chord mojo for a longtime which is a step down from hugo.

ksbruce

« Reply #275 on: 12 Mar 2018, 09:38 am »
Has anyone else tried a usb c output on their computer to the Sabaj? A subtle but noticeable improvement.

restrav

« Reply #276 on: 12 Mar 2018, 04:45 pm »
do you think sabaj da3 it is a contender to chord hugo?  :o because I had my eyes on a chord mojo for a longtime which is a step down from hugo.

that was a slip of finger mistake on my part, i meant chord mojo, i have never heard Hugo.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2018, 07:44 pm by Dadbeh »

dflee

« Reply #277 on: 12 Mar 2018, 08:52 pm »
I am lazy and don't want to go though all these posts and then look up the model (I'm tired already) so
are any of these suggestions R2R type or non over sampling?

Thanks
Don

o0o

« Reply #278 on: 15 Mar 2018, 09:28 pm »
If you guys have missed there's a new windows driver v4.41.0 for XMOS-based DACs released by Sabaj this time. It will work with variety of products from SMSL and Sabaj including Idea, IQ, Da2, Da3 and others. I have no idea what's new in there but it works perfectly with Da2.

restrav

« Reply #279 on: 15 Mar 2018, 10:07 pm »
any new finds that sound better so similar to sabaj DA3?