JBL LSR305 Powered Speakers, Less Than $300

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Re: JBL LSR305 Powered Speakers, Less Than $300
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2015, 08:45 pm »
Rather than start a separate thread for these speakers, figured I'd just resurrect this one as I've purchased a pair of these speakers via Massdrop.

Let me just say I'm impressed... REALLY IMPRESSED  :o  I have to keep reminding myself that I paid $240 for a PAIR, and that INCLUDES built-in amplifiers (essentially four mono amps)!

So here's the story. I've got a 2 year old and another on the way. Magnepans with my DIY ClassDaudio.com monoblocks are not going to cut it any longer, or rather, survive in the same room as the kids. I was looking for something I could tuck into the locked, but metal mesh front, cabinets for casual listening and pull out onto stands or the cabinet top for more critical listening. That meant cutting back on the number of components (thus gone are the mono amps) to make room for the speakers.

Well, these things fit the bill perfectly. I got them as a "proof of concept" figuring $240 is worth it to try. Hell, I've paid more, A LOT MORE, for a pair of interconnects and other tomfoolery.

The sound? Remarkably full-bodied, spacious and room filling with a surprising reach at the bottom end for a 5" woofer. The highs are very smooth, something I was not expecting with a "pro" monitor, perhaps even a bit too smooth at times and seeming a bit dark. And they are not the last word in detail, being a bit veiled or restrained on the top end. But I've only just started listening and have not figured out proper placement.

As a replacement for my Magnepan MG10.1 panels, those have the edge in creating a big, spacious soundstage and "you are there" presence... but not by much that I can discern thus far. The Maggies definitely don't go as low, as the 10.1 is designed to peter out around 80hz, thus my use of a couple subs, which by the way I have not even hooked up yet with the LSR305.

Though it remains to be seen, I think I could esaily live with these. At least for awhile, especially given that I've now got a good headphone rig for more rarefied listening.

ANCILLARY EQUIPMENT:
- Squeezbox Touch running EDO
- Canare digital coax to Pre/DAC
- Wyred4Sound mPRE
- DIY Kimber PBJ XLR interconnects

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2015, 08:51 pm »
Yes, the LSR Series are amazing speakers.  I'm waiting for a good deal on the LSR 308's.  I missed a pair recently but oh well.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #22 on: 20 Apr 2015, 12:37 am »
Yes, the LSR Series are amazing speakers.  I'm waiting for a good deal on the LSR 308's.  I missed a pair recently but oh well.

I considered the LSR308 as well, but ultimately they were just a bit too large for me. I also have some concerns about resonances due to their larger package. I too may try them some day if I can get a good deal... they also show up on massdrop every now and then.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 20 Apr 2015, 12:56 am »
Here was my setup with the LSR305's. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #24 on: 21 Apr 2015, 07:32 am »

The question you might ask, is it worth the hassle of doing all of this. I think so, the 308's have massive potential as a solutions that can run as a 2 channel without a sub setup, and they have so much headroom it's silly. The other thing is that they are 1 step removed from the JBL M2 which sells for 10k a pair. Fixing this stuff and having a pair of $400 powered speakers that approach that level would be amazing. Even if it costs $200-300 to do it, it's still a bargain.

The JBL M2 sells for $20,00 the pair.

I would be very interested in hearing the passive LSR 705i and LSR708i
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/7-series/lsr708i#.VTX-G2aRDcE
whose waveguides are more similar in appearance to the M2 and both of which employ real compression drivers and pretty special bass/mid drivers. I think these at long last have come to market and Full Compass, at least, is selling them for $700 and $1500 a piece.
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/480792.html
Reports of early listening impressions are promising, as they should be with that heritage and price tag. Also, these are now in a price range where some pretty well respected (if unknown) studio monitors exist.

aevans

« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2015, 08:07 am »
Found out that the 308's front baffle is only attached by 6 screws, so the modifications are much easier than I anticipated. This week I'm working on modifying one of them with the alumifoam for the baffle and plate amp. The sides will get some aluminum backed butyl treatment. Looks to be about $50 per speaker in parts. I'll update here when I get some results.

Bear

« Reply #26 on: 22 Apr 2015, 01:51 am »
I have had the 308's setup in a 5.2 config for several months now.  They are impressive little dudes.  Interested in the mods proposed buy the reviewer as I have the same concerns.  No-rez?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #27 on: 22 Apr 2015, 02:14 am »
Found out that the 308's front baffle is only attached by 6 screws, so the modifications are much easier than I anticipated. This week I'm working on modifying one of them with the alumifoam for the baffle and plate amp. The sides will get some aluminum backed butyl treatment. Looks to be about $50 per speaker in parts. I'll update here when I get some results.

Thanks, I'll be curious to hear what you find. LOVE your style of reviewing!

I have had the 308's setup in a 5.2 config for several months now.  They are impressive little dudes.  Interested in the mods proposed buy the reviewer as I have the same concerns.  No-rez?

Definitely a thought, won't take much I bet, but I would definitely do some measurements, close miked of the low end response and make sure you don't change it too much by altering (however slightly), the acoustic volume. You won't change the waveguide's response which is fine, cause that's engineered very well. Use HolmImpulse and also measure the impedance/phase before applying the NoRez and then measure it afterwards. It will be educational at least!

Best,
Anand

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #28 on: 22 Apr 2015, 02:17 am »
The JBL M2 sells for $20,00 the pair.

I would be very interested in hearing the passive LSR 705i and LSR708i
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/7-series/lsr708i#.VTX-G2aRDcE
whose waveguides are more similar in appearance to the M2 and both of which employ real compression drivers and pretty special bass/mid drivers. I think these at long last have come to market and Full Compass, at least, is selling them for $700 and $1500 a piece.
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/480792.html
Reports of early listening impressions are promising, as they should be with that heritage and price tag. Also, these are now in a price range where some pretty well respected (if unknown) studio monitors exist.

Thanks for the links Russell. Given that these 2 models are trickle down technology from the M2's AND they are unpowered/passive will appeal to a lot of folks who have their own favorite amp choices.

I would be totally stoked if I could audition them!

Best,
Anand.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #29 on: 22 Apr 2015, 09:43 pm »
Along more "Cheap and Cheerful HiFi" lines, my interest has also been piqued by the the Studio 530 (http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+530.html?dwvar_STUDIO%20530_color=Black#q=studio+530&start=1) and recently announced Arena series (http://www.jbl.com/arena-series/).

Although from a value standpoint, I'd still need to add amp(s). I'm really scratching my head how they achieve this sound with the LSR305 at that price point  :scratch:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #30 on: 23 Apr 2015, 07:20 am »
Along more "Cheap and Cheerful HiFi" lines, my interest has also been piqued by the the Studio 530 (http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+530.html?dwvar_STUDIO%20530_color=Black#q=studio+530&start=1)
A friend bought these and was thrilled to the bone. He seldom swears, but the voice message he left me was replete with expletives. They really are amazing.

Apparently, the Studio 570 floor stander is the sweet spot in the line. Someone visited the designer's house and they were playing in one of his rooms. He said "they sound better than they have any right to".

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #31 on: 23 Apr 2015, 06:44 pm »
A friend bought these and was thrilled to the bone. He seldom swears, but the voice message he left me was replete with expletives. They really are amazing.

Apparently, the Studio 570 floor stander is the sweet spot in the line. Someone visited the designer's house and they were playing in one of his rooms. He said "they sound better than they have any right to".

I wonder why the 530 book shelf version and the 570 floor stander are the same price at $600.00? The 570 has an additional driver and obviously more material costs :scratch:.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #32 on: 23 Apr 2015, 07:01 pm »
Where are you seeing these prices, Greg? Could one be for the pair and the other for a single?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #33 on: 23 Apr 2015, 07:05 pm »
Where are you seeing these prices, Greg? Could one be for the pair and the other for a single?

I just clicked on the link from Krikor and then searched for the 570 on the same site.

Well Russell, I just looked again and you are correct, the 570 is listed as each and the 530 is for the pair. :oops:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #34 on: 23 Apr 2015, 07:29 pm »
I think the 570s can be had for less than that, now that they are an older model. I don't think they sold well because they were a little more expensive than most of the apparent competition, due in part to the quality of the drivers. They claim a compression driver on the horn, for example, as opposed to the dome tweeter on a waveguide which is more common and cheaper.
They're $900 a pair here, for example:
http://www.deniswhite.com.au/jbl-studio-570-compact-floor-standing-speakers.-1-new-pair-only.html

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #35 on: 25 Apr 2015, 07:49 pm »
Very nice looking speakers, unfortunately way over Cheap and Cheerful guidelines.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #36 on: 10 May 2015, 06:34 pm »

Just a heads up... both the 305 and 308 are on sale right now at Crutchfield for buy one get the second at half price, with free shipping to boot! I'm trying real hard not to get a pair of the 308s just to see how they compare to the 305.

LSR305 pair = $225 shipped
LSR308 pair = $375 shipped

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 10 May 2015, 06:45 pm »
Just a heads up... both the 305 and 308 are on sale right now at Crutchfield for buy one get the second at half price, with free shipping to boot! I'm trying real hard not to get a pair of the 308s just to see how they compare to the 305.

LSR305 pair = $225 shipped
LSR308 pair = $375 shipped
Thanks.  I'm determined to find used 308 at a better deal.  :lol:

OzarkTom

« Reply #38 on: 10 May 2015, 08:28 pm »
Here is a brand new pair for $315 in Charleston.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/ele/5009560753.html

JeffB

« Reply #39 on: 14 Jun 2015, 11:18 pm »
Side by side playback between JBL LSR 305 and Presonus Eris 5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XieoQYu0Usg

I have listened to this several times. 
I don't like the way they chose to switch back in forth in the middle of a song as you never hear the exact same thing played on both speakers.
The first thing that I really notice is that in the beginning, the guitar sound on the Eris E5 is strongly present in the mix and as soon as they switch to the LSR305 the first time,
the guitar sound seems to take a back seat in the mix.  Suddenly drums and vocals are mainly what I hear.  I can't quite put my finger on whether this is because the song
is in a different state of playback or whether it is the speakers.
After several listens, I feel the Eris E5 sounds better integrated, more coherent, while the LSR305 seems more open and with stronger bass.
I always wonder what would happen with a properly integrated sub-woofer.  This would likely also open up the sound of the Eris E5 a bit.
In any case I still think the comparison is interesting, even though one is listening through a mic and different speakers.

I found the rock track.
It is called "Ripe" by the Screaming Females.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ObpxB1_TV8

Presonus Eris E4.5  around $200 a pair.
Short video, but they sound good in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp0bOdw2fK4

Another interesting comparison
PreSonus Eris E5 vs. KRK Rokit RP5 G2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn3WwsqSoxg