BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

odessamarin

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #1080 on: 25 Jan 2018, 10:17 am »
I can confirm my (Alps), not leanear.. its fine adjustment between 9 and 15 o'clock.
What is interesting that in photo from last mentioned here review (2017).. it also Alps inside )
Seem Bryston use both volume pots
https://hometheaterhifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/bryston-bha-1-headphone-amp-fig5.jpg
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/headphone-amplifier/bryston-bha-1-balanced-headphone-amplifier-review/

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1081 on: 25 Jan 2018, 10:45 am »
James, have there been changes to how the volume control Works? My BHA-1 has a tailored volume control that has a fine adjustment between 9 and 15 o'clock and a rather steep adjustment below and above that. Has this been changed to a linear or logarithmic volume adjustment?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

I am not aware of any change - if there is too much gain you can reduce the overall gain with the front panel switch.  A lot depends on the efficiency of the phones and the BHA-1 was designed to drive the more difficult phones out there.

Also I think there is a modification to reduce overall gain if you want but check with Mike on that. - mpickett@bryston.com

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #1082 on: 25 Jan 2018, 11:27 am »
Hi Antun

I am not aware of any change - if there is too much gain you can reduce the overall gain with the front panel switch.  A lot depends on the efficiency of the phones and the BHA-1 was designed to drive the more difficult phones out there.

Also I think there is a modification to reduce overall gain if you want but check with Mike on that. - mpickett@bryston.com

james

Ok, thank you James!

Cheers!
Antun

jtinto

« Reply #1083 on: 27 Jan 2018, 09:59 pm »
I'm a bit late to the party. I've had my BHA-1 and Sennheiser HD800 combo since late 2012, but only just discovered what they're truly capable of.

I discussed some options with Gene at Take Five Audio and ordered some short custom balanced XLR splitter cables so I could connect my BDA-3 directly to both my BP-26 and BHA-1. I also ordered a custom balanced headphone cable with 4-pin XLR for the HD800.

Wow. I'd often read that running balanced in/out was the best, but I had no idea how improved it would be. Resolution and dynamics are vastly improved over the single-ended 1/4" connection. Like listening to 24/96 after an mp3.

I also asked Gene to make a short 4-pin to 1/4" adapter cable, so it's easy to A/B the two connections and use my new cables on other head amps.

jtinto

« Reply #1084 on: 16 Feb 2018, 09:39 pm »
I just picked up a pair of the new Focal Clear headphones.

These sound the closest to my Model T Sig speakers of any phones I've tried to date driven by Bryston electronics.

Focal introduced the Clear priced between their Elear and Utopia with top-notch build quality and included accessories.

I am very pleased with these on portable amps and dedicated balanced separates. They compare very favourably with my HD800. Not quite as quick or resolving, but not as dry and analytical. They have a smaller soundstage, and not quite as airy. The HD800 being a bit more suited to acoustic and classical and the Clear more of a rocker.

They have a slightly raised bottom end, yet are neutral throughout the rest of the audio spectrum. They are very easy to wear and fun to listen to for hours.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1085 on: 16 Feb 2018, 11:32 pm »
What portable amp are you using to drive the Clears?

Nordkapp

« Reply #1086 on: 16 Feb 2018, 11:36 pm »
I just picked up a pair of the new Focal Clear headphones.

These sound the closest to my Model T Sig speakers of any phones I've tried to date driven by Bryston electronics.

Focal introduced the Clear priced between their Elear and Utopia with top-notch build quality and included accessories.

I am very pleased with these on portable amps and dedicated balanced separates. They compare very favourably with my HD800. Not quite as quick or resolving, but not as dry and analytical. They have a smaller soundstage, and not quite as airy. The HD800 being a bit more suited to acoustic and classical and the Clear more of a rocker.

They have a slightly raised bottom end, yet are neutral throughout the rest of the audio spectrum. They are very easy to wear and fun to listen to for hours.
I'm using the Elears through BHA-1. Couldn't be happier.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1087 on: 16 Feb 2018, 11:40 pm »
For me, HE-560 and HD650 thru BHA. Smooth as silk.  Balanced all through.  :thumb:

jtinto

« Reply #1088 on: 16 Feb 2018, 11:49 pm »
For me, HE-560 and HD650 thru BHA. Smooth as silk.  Balanced all through.  :thumb:

I wish that I still had my HD650. I sold them a while ago. It'd be nice to try them with my current system on an even footing.

jtinto

« Reply #1089 on: 16 Feb 2018, 11:53 pm »
What portable amp are you using to drive the Clears?

I'm not a big portable user, but tried them on Fiio F11 and Mojo. They're a very easy to drive 50ohm load.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1090 on: 17 Feb 2018, 12:06 am »
I wish that I still had my HD650. I sold them a while ago. It'd be nice to try them with my current system on an even footing.

LOL I sold mine then contracted regretitis, and bought them again, used. Lifers now.  :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #1091 on: 19 Feb 2018, 07:58 pm »
LOL I sold mine then contracted regretitis, and bought them again, used. Lifers now.  :thumb:

Always had a love hate relationship with the 650…back in 2003 with AKGs and Grados in the roster the original was just too polite for my tastes…the later versions were better or it might just be the BHA-1.  :D
My most recent pair was bought new last summer just after selling my Massdrop HD6XX…lol…just preferred the original look….anyway those were sold in the fall to make room for the newer 660s. Considering I sold off most of my ancillary phones after getting the HD700s in 2013 and then sold after getting the 800S I’m hope bring the 6xx with a similar driver will sound more in line with my personal preferences.
Anyway my 660s have been on backorder with Amazon since late November……but finally shipping this week, should have them Tuesday or Wednesday.…will post impressions.

rob80b

« Reply #1092 on: 19 Feb 2018, 08:05 pm »
Spoke too soon...even though it was a "Family Day" Canada Post was still making deliveries.... :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1093 on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:00 pm »
Rob, thx for the heads-up about mail delivery -- Didn't know they delivered on Fam Day.

As for your new 660...let us know how its sounds on BHA-1, and vs. the new/old 650.
Enjoy.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1094 on: 20 Feb 2018, 07:43 am »
I'm not a big portable user, but tried them on Fiio F11 and Mojo. They're a very easy to drive 50ohm load.

Hi!

Do you own a Chord Mojo or did you just try it out? If you own it, can you post some comments about how it compares to BDA-3, just for the kicks?

Cheers!
Antun

rob80b

« Reply #1095 on: 20 Feb 2018, 12:50 pm »

As for your new 660...let us know how its sounds on BHA-1, and vs. the new/old 650.
Enjoy.

It's still early...nothing earth shattering...but that's not what the 600 series are all about....
posted a few tidbits here....
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd660s-finally-a-successor-for-the-hd650.862308/page-152#post-14054338

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1096 on: 20 Feb 2018, 07:52 pm »
Thanks, nice banter there on HeadFi. Seems like the 660 may be a real step forward for Sennheiser.

cheers

R. Daneel

« Reply #1097 on: 1 May 2018, 11:15 am »
Hi fellas!

I have a question for you. I have one of the earlier revisions of BHA-1, serial # in the 3xx range, which still has balanced preamp outputs.

My question is regarding the gain structure of this amplifier. I am using it with a BDA-2 DAC with balanced XLR cables and with a pair of Sennheiser HD800 headphones. They are 300 Ohm and in my opinion, very sensitive. So much in fact that I usually listen to music with the volume control around 8 - 9 o'clock and the gain switch set to LOW.

Is it possible to decrease the gain of this amplifier and would this have a negative or a positive effect on the audio quality?

If the gain is 14 dB with he switch set to LOW, I'd perhaps be interested in decreasing it to 0 dB (zero). This would put the volume control in-between the 9 - 15 o'clock range where the most precise adjustment to the volume can be made.

Thanks!
Antun

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1098 on: 1 May 2018, 01:18 pm »
Hi fellas!

Is it possible to decrease the gain of this amplifier and would this have a negative or a positive effect on the audio quality?

Thanks!
Antun

I had this gain adjust done a few years ago. Involves changing a resistor. Allowed me to use the vol knob at 10-3 o'clock, low gain in balanced.

I did not hear any decrement in SQ afterwards. If you can, I would recommend it, for headphones. Not sure about effects on preamp outputs.

My dealer made the adjustment after MP emailed him the specs and instructions.

cheers

R. Daneel

« Reply #1099 on: 1 May 2018, 05:17 pm »
I had this gain adjust done a few years ago. Involves changing a resistor. Allowed me to use the vol knob at 10-3 o'clock, low gain in balanced.

I did not hear any decrement in SQ afterwards. If you can, I would recommend it, for headphones. Not sure about effects on preamp outputs.

My dealer made the adjustment after MP emailed him the specs and instructions.

cheers

Hey mate!

You're using HD800 as well?

I think I would prefer if this modification was done by Bryston themselves.

Cheers!
Antun