Tidal, The 1400KB/sec streaming service

Gopher

Re: Tidal, The 1400KB/sec streaming service
« Reply #40 on: 22 Feb 2015, 03:04 am »
It looks like Tidal support is already in place for those of us still rocking squeezebox based solutions.  Very cool.   Will have to give that 14 day trial a whirl when I get my listening room complete in the next month or so.

Davey

« Reply #41 on: 22 Feb 2015, 03:13 am »
I'm on the trial as well.  Fairly impressive.

geowak

« Reply #42 on: 4 Mar 2015, 06:40 am »
For Tidal users out there. Is anyone using Tidal over a Squeezebox Classic? I heard there is a plugin now for this. Also is anyone streaming Tidal over their android or iphone yet? Is the sound still a step UP from Beats or Spotity?

I am using an Iphone plugged into a DAC (Pure I-20) and wondered if the Iphone would make a decent streaming device with Tidal app to my DAC. Once again, any step UP in sound over other streaming services...?

Crimson

« Reply #43 on: 4 Mar 2015, 12:52 pm »
I don't have a Squeezebox, but I use Tidal quite a bit on my iphone 6. No doubt about it it, there's a noticeable improvement over Spotify and iTunes Match.

Philistine

« Reply #44 on: 4 Mar 2015, 01:04 pm »
I'm streaming Tidal through all my SqueezeBox devices using the ickStream plugin - works great.
Here's the link with the instructions:
https://tidalhifi.com/us/about/squeezebox

geowak

« Reply #45 on: 15 Mar 2015, 11:30 pm »
Well I have been using Tidal streaming now...and I do like it. I tried it with the plugin for the Squeezebox classic and cannot get it to work. Plus I really don't like the SB Classic anymore. Just too buggy and difficult to set up and use.

But with the desktop version on the Macbook Pro, Tidal HiFi is very good. The sound is very good. I also like it on my Iphone with the Tidal app. I use it on the Pure I-20 base station and run it directly into a Benchmark DAC.  Word of caution, unless you use the offline function on the Tidal app menu or you turn off your cellular data, it will HOG UP ALL YOUR DATA on your phone! You must go offline or just use wifi on your phone (if you are near a wifi area) Unless you have an unlimited DATA plan. I guess I will have to play with the offline function on the app, which is not user intuitive.

I agree $19.99 a month is pricey, so I do not know if I will keep it until I have looked and found many artists I like and am convinced the sound quality is THAT much better than Spotify.

OzarkTom

« Reply #46 on: 15 Mar 2015, 11:53 pm »
Tidal successfully accomplished a stream test of Meridian's MQA format earlier this month at their headquarters.

https://www.meridian-audio.com/news-events/another-huge-milestone-for-mqa/

groovybassist

« Reply #47 on: 17 Mar 2015, 08:05 pm »
I was doing the 7-day trial with Tidal and just canceled it.  I'm only 4 days into the trial and two of those days have been marred with their now infamous "server error" messages and a slew of dropouts.  This was driving my Auralic Aries and me crazy.  Listening to music shouldn't require a masters in networking, but it sure seems to these days, unless you play vinyl of course.  Maybe that's where I'm headed.

-Mike

stereocilia

« Reply #48 on: 21 Mar 2015, 04:48 pm »
I just signed up and I'm getting cracking and popping (like a record skipping a groove). I'm using a lenovo laptop with chrome into a mytek stereo192 dac. If it's on my end I will try to hunt it down, but if it's intrinsic to Tidal then I think I'll cancel until they're ready for prime time.

Crimson

« Reply #49 on: 21 Mar 2015, 06:14 pm »
They did have server issues a few days back (they were performing upgrades), but other than that I've never experienced dropouts, clicks or pops.

stereocilia

« Reply #50 on: 21 Mar 2015, 06:53 pm »
Is it track-specific? Most of the tracks on The Sugarplastic "the resin" album don't play for more than about 12 seconds.

stereocilia

« Reply #51 on: 24 Mar 2015, 12:26 am »
I switched to USB 1.1 and stopped using the JRiver WDM driver with Tidal and the popping and clicking stopped altogether. I'm glad this works, but I wish I knew why.

vonnie123

« Reply #52 on: 5 Apr 2015, 06:01 am »
went the Sonos Deezer Elite route for $10 month.  great catalog.  the lossless 44.1 sampling rate is fine for streaming.