Warning - Beck "Morning Phase" - Don't Bother With 24/96 from HDTracks

rw@cn

In short, the Analog Planet link says the album absolutely was mastered at 24/96 (although some individual tracks may not have been recorded in hi-res), and that the resulting sound is EXACTLY as Beck intended it.... Whether audiophiles like it or not.

Audiophiles should tell Beck to shove it.  :x

wushuliu

Been a while since I listened to Beck but he's always had a thing for low-fi production hasn't he? Just kind of recording how and wherever. Definitely not someone who caters to audiophiles. I've always thought he was someone who makes (good) music for cheap headphones or background at parties.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Audiophiles should tell Beck to shove it.  :x

Beck can do what he wants.  Morning Phase has a very dense atmospheric soundscape, not the kind of sound that lends itself to dynamic extremes.  This is folk music for the EDM crowd, not large scale symphonic music or big, punchy rock & roll.  The limited dynamic range is an intentional part of the production.

It's a highly processed recording, but I find the sound of the album fascinating.  His voice is multiplied and chorused at various intervals with long, sustained reverb trails spread across the sound stage.  Even when singing intimately and directly, his voice is tightly doubled. 

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Been a while since I listened to Beck but he's always had a thing for low-fi production hasn't he? Just kind of recording how and wherever. Definitely not someone who caters to audiophiles. I've always thought he was someone who makes (good) music for cheap headphones or background at parties.
Couldn't disagree more.  Several of Beck's best efforts are amazingly produced (although often compressed-for-effect) as they need to be in order to hear the kind of sweet and sour timbres he employs.  Listen to Mutations or Sea Change (especially MoFi version).  If you really want to hear amazing....try Sea Change in 5.1.  Masterful.