Goodbye Netflix

2bigears

Goodbye Netflix
« on: 1 Dec 2016, 04:04 am »
 :D    Canada gets Amazon Prime tomorrow ,   Canadian Netflix sucks real bad ,,,, :D

fredgarvin

Re: Goodbye Netflix
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2016, 05:36 am »
Amazon sucks even harder. Sorry for you're dreams.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2016, 09:13 am »
I like Amazon.  I've got Netflix, Amazon & HBO Now, all of them have some things I like. :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2016, 02:16 pm »
Netflix in Canada does suck!   I was using a VPN to get American Netflix and when Netflix finally blocked the VPNs, I dropped Netflix.  Canadian media has too much of a strangle on content and severely overcharge for it.   I negotiated a deal with Rogers and got HBO and TMN with on demand which has a lot of great content.  It was even better when it included SHOMI.  SHOMI wasn't fantastic, but there was a lot of stuff on it that you couldn't get with TMN/HBO, some of which was on Netflix.  I wish I could get HBO GO in Canada and I'd drop cable altogether. 

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2016, 02:17 pm »
I have been using Amazon for sometime. Never noticed it "sucking".
Works quite well really..
but then I'm not in Canada.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2016, 02:30 pm »
Netflix Canada user here.  I don't know any better (ie never seen US Netflix) and my family enjoys the service enough to continue it.

No way I will do both Amazon and Netflix unless they agree to cut the cord - which they cannot.  My wife cannot get into waiting 1 day to watch a free stream of her traditional shows.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2016, 03:46 pm »
I like Amazon.  I've got Netflix, Amazon & HBO Now, all of them have some things I like. :thumb:

Yeah, I'm gonna get Netflix soon to add to Amazon and HBO. I rarely watch TV, hence the need for all three. Each has 2 or 3 good shows that's worth watching.

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2016, 04:01 pm »
 :D Joshk you know your tv.  I just took for granted it would be better.
      Canada is really limited.for sure. Not fair really. :D

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2016, 04:59 pm »
I tried streaming TV shows a couple of years ago but could not get into it. Recently, I gave Netflix another try, and it's original programming makes all the difference in the world. Besides Public TV and the local news, we rarely watch regular providers. I have an over-the-air antenna on order that is supposedly good for 60 miles. If it works, I will consider cutting the cord and simply keeping my Internet connection. Currently, that is Comcast. :banghead: But AT&T is supposed to have gigabit service on our street my next spring.

Woodsea

« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2016, 05:18 pm »
I have Hulu as well as HBO, Netflix, and Amazon.  I will not watch shows when the networks tell me to and feel the need to watch commercials.  It has been over a decade since having to pay for a cable box.

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2016, 05:28 pm »
 :D   i really can't believe people can actually watch main stream regular tv.  After 1/4 of a commercial i have this overwhelming notion
           the outside world is stupid or even insane or i just want to kill myself. Yes it's true. Some adds are funny or cute. But the core message is buy. You will be
             happier and a better individual with THIS.  China's factories have slowed. Thank God. The new target of 'zero' growth should be
               something we aim for.   oppps ,, sorry.  I need my first coffee ,, haha ,, :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2016, 05:40 pm »
:D   i really can't believe people can actually watch main stream regular tv.

I do for news and sports. Sports in real time but news goes into the PVR and thus commercials along with stories of no interest get the FF pass over. Not interested in anything like Netfix, HBO etc as I'd rather read a good book or listen to music etc.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2016, 08:35 pm »
Sounds like most people use it for local news and sports.  Let's do a quick bit of math here.  I don't use cable, but I do pay for high speed internet and Netflix.  For me, my monthly cost is:

150 mb/s - $49
Netflix - $11

Total - $60/month

On the other hand, if I did full basic cable, even bundled with internet would be:

$120/month.

That's twice as much!!!! I'm saving $60 per month, or $720 per year.  That $720 savings is going to pay for part of my next upgrade to my audio system :)

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like things like news and sports, but for $720, that's pretty expensive!

coke

« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2016, 09:46 pm »
For news, just use an antenna  :thumb:

Woodsea

« Reply #14 on: 1 Dec 2016, 10:03 pm »
For the news I read the paper.  Gotta feed the reporters.  Plus, there is nothing like sitting down on my off days with a cup a joe and perusing the papers and getting to the funnies.  Spoon fed news is not for me. 

ctviggen

« Reply #15 on: 1 Dec 2016, 10:21 pm »
Sounds like most people use it for local news and sports.  Let's do a quick bit of math here.  I don't use cable, but I do pay for high speed internet and Netflix.  For me, my monthly cost is:

150 mb/s - $49
Netflix - $11

Total - $60/month

On the other hand, if I did full basic cable, even bundled with internet would be:

$120/month.

That's twice as much!!!! I'm saving $60 per month, or $720 per year.  That $720 savings is going to pay for part of my next upgrade to my audio system :)

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like things like news and sports, but for $720, that's pretty expensive!

If you need local channels, add at least another $20, maybe more.  Then what if you like certain channels?   How do you get those?  I've done this analysis for years and even though cable is absurdly expensive and you pay for crap you don't watch (here's looking at you, ESPN and Yankees and MSG and other local sports), we're still sticking with cable.  For now.

2bigears

« Reply #16 on: 1 Dec 2016, 11:13 pm »
 :D. The news is exactly what 5 corporate powers want us to hear.  It's not the real important news
           At all.  Sports yes. News not at all.  :D

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2016, 04:13 am »
Internet w/ the very basic cable channels is packaged cheaper than internet alone, otherwise I'd drop the basic cable.  Aside from some live football, rarely watch network TV, and when I do, it's OTA. 

Do use HBO GO & Netflix a lot if I'm not watching a Netflix blu ray movie.

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2017, 02:08 am »
I dont get the appeal of Hulu, personally...I swear, every show I looked up on there to watch either wasn't available at all, or the seasons I wanted weren't available. I subbed in order to watch the Steven King miniseries "11-23-60", but then I got rid of it again.

HBO-GO is a great app...I love Netflix, and Amazon Prime has really raised its game in the last year. We have some pretty great apps and services available to us these days. Nobody is going to have to go w/out options in terms of something to watch, that's for sure

molokoplus

« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2017, 06:50 pm »
Netflix has the greatest UI out of all the streaming apps I've tried.  Wonder why Canadian Netflix seems to suck so much.