Netflix: What to watch?

Delacroix

Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #300 on: 23 Dec 2016, 09:29 pm »
Binged on 'Nobel' this week, really enjoyed it. It's Norwegian, subtitled in English, and to describe it as being about Norwegian political and military involvement in Afghanistan really does not do it justice. Strong acting, good storyline, think of it as a mystery.

soundbitten1

« Reply #301 on: 24 Dec 2016, 12:07 am »
Season 1 of Versailles. Depicts the reign of Louis XIV and the erection of the Palace Of Versailles. Warning: lots of nudity & sex.

WGH

« Reply #302 on: 1 Jan 2017, 05:50 pm »

Trollhunters is a new series that the whole family can watch. Written and directed by Guillermo Del Toro (The Devil's Backbone, Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth, Pacific Rim) and based on a comic book co-written with Daniel Kraus and in partnership with Dreamworks Studio (Voltron: Legendary Defender), Trollhunters followers the adventures of teenage boy who discovers a secret worls of trolls beneath his small town.

Season 1 has 26 episodes, each about 22 minutes long, the perfect  length for small children and binging.

ctviggen

« Reply #303 on: 1 Jan 2017, 05:58 pm »
Season 1 of Versailles. Depicts the reign of Louis XIV and the erection of the Palace Of Versailles. Warning: lots of nudity & sex.

Is it nudity and sex that makes sense in the story or is it "Game of Thrones" nudity and sex, most of which is completely unrelated to the story and completely out of place?

weatherman1

« Reply #304 on: 1 Jan 2017, 07:05 pm »
Four Seasons in Havana....good stories, great visuals, conflicted main character policeman who wanted to be a writer but cant in Castro Cuba.  Mini movies in Spanish with English subtitles but if your not a speaker then you need to read quickly.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #305 on: 3 Jan 2017, 01:31 am »
OK, not Netflix but rather Amazon streaming...taking advantage of our Prime thingie.

Goliath...is anybody watching this? Drew me in from the git-go and really didn't let up. Binge-d the whole thing over the last two days. Yep, feeling a little guilty but was it worth it. Really compelling, but then I like kinda dark and psychologically twisted stuff...

soundbitten1

« Reply #306 on: 3 Jan 2017, 01:46 am »
Is it nudity and sex that makes sense in the story or is it "Game of Thrones" nudity and sex, most of which is completely unrelated to the story and completely out of place?

Considering it involves the lives of depraved French royalty it does make sense.

srb

« Reply #307 on: 3 Jan 2017, 03:15 am »
Goliath...is anybody watching this?

Yes, I really enjoyed it.  There were a number of questions left unanswered, so I can't imagine Season 2 not happening.

Also a great role and character for Billy Bob Thornton.  "Listen, lady, I'm nervous enough already, and you're a f*#king yapper. I don't do good with yappers."

Steve

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #308 on: 3 Jan 2017, 02:17 pm »

Trollhunters is a new series that the whole family can watch. Written and directed by Guillermo Del Toro (The Devil's Backbone, Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth, Pacific Rim) and based on a comic book co-written with Daniel Kraus and in partnership with Dreamworks Studio (Voltron: Legendary Defender), Trollhunters followers the adventures of teenage boy who discovers a secret worls of trolls beneath his small town.

Season 1 has 26 episodes, each about 22 minutes long, the perfect  length for small children and binging.

It's pretty good for older (at heart) kids as well--especially if you are an animation fan.

undertowogt1

« Reply #309 on: 3 Jan 2017, 02:54 pm »
Just finished the Documentary series CAPTIVE. Pretty good overall.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #310 on: 4 Jan 2017, 12:45 am »

Raining pretty good here in Martinez Ca. No outdoors today for me.
 Netflix has a new movie called "Spectral" Good guys. Soldiers. Bad guys. Invisible. Spooks!!
 Not too bad. I like all the action scenes. Blowing up everything standing still.
  Good guys survive.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

WGH

« Reply #311 on: 27 Jan 2017, 01:39 am »

A Series of Unfortunate Events

This series is hard to binge watch, each episode is more depressing than the last, I can only get through one at a time. I love it!
The A-List actors include Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf and Joan Cusack as Justice Strauss in a hyper-real Gothic production with plenty of dark, dark humor.
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #312 on: 14 Mar 2017, 12:46 am »
Found this in Special Interest menu.

Bergen to Oslo, seven hours of scenic bliss on the Norwegian railway. You can sit back and listen to tunes on your stereo as you make the trip. :singing:

Bergen also looks like a nice place to live if you don't mind lots of rain. Because it's on the coast they get ocean winds that make for a mild winter, rarely below -10 Celsius and summer rarely above 30 Celsius. But because of the mountains the winds don't move inland and dumps lots of rain as a result

jonbee

« Reply #313 on: 14 Mar 2017, 04:34 am »

Not to be confused with the Norwegian indie move Trollhunters, which I absolutely love! Also on Netflix.

Jumpin

« Reply #314 on: 14 Mar 2017, 01:30 pm »
The Documentary Magnus was awesome!  The scene where he plays blindfolded is amazing.
Magnus is the world chess champion and the documentary tells how he grew up.

stlrman

« Reply #315 on: 29 Mar 2017, 06:03 pm »
Season 3 f Chef's Table !! :thumb:
Just a spectacular series. Call yourself a foodie or aspiring chef ? , and you have never seen this documentary?
Wow !! Your missing out !!
Nominated for 6 emmys's .
I've been moved to tears on many of the episodes. The food , stories , etc . , are that moving !!

Photon46

« Reply #316 on: 29 Mar 2017, 06:35 pm »
Netflix adapted food writer Michael Polan's recent book into a four part series "Cooked." I just finished watching the last episode and really enjoyed it. Some people put down Polan as a foodie elitist that just makes them feel bad about how they eat and the fact they don't have infinite time to devote to artisanal cooking. There might be some merit in that view but I think he's a very thought provoking writer myself. I certainly won't think the same way about certain foods again after watching the series. Well worth watching if you're into such things.

wushuliu

« Reply #317 on: 29 Mar 2017, 10:09 pm »
Twinsters.

Oh, and Dave Chapelle.

Randy

« Reply #318 on: 29 Mar 2017, 10:13 pm »
I've had Netllix via a Roku unit for about eight months and haven't watched anything on it yet.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #319 on: 29 Mar 2017, 10:49 pm »
I've had Netllix via a Roku unit for about eight months and haven't watched anything on it yet.

I think you have to retrain your TV viewing habits. Find a few Netflix series you like to get the ball rolling.