Teres introduces new TT

Wayne1

Teres introduces new TT
« on: 21 Apr 2007, 02:27 am »
Chris Brady is hosting the Colorado Audio Society this weekend.

He is introducing the production version of his DD turntable: The CERTUS

I heard the prototype version and it is quite unique.

Here is a link to more information:

http://teresaudio.com/certus/

JoshK

Re: Teres introduces new TT
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2007, 02:32 am »
Its cool that he is pushing the envelope, but I have to say that my personal opinion is that he forgot his [first] customers when it was convenient to do so. There is no longer any reasonably priced kits/parts.  A $17K table is for the rich and takes much of the fun out of it, since anyone can design a good performer for that amount of money.

Sorry, just MHO.

F-100

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2007, 02:43 am »
Wow!!! $17K for a turntable??? :scratch:
I can buy a bunch of excellent gears for that price. :)

JDUBS

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2007, 02:51 am »
Yep, direct drive is a step in the right direction...but idler wheel is where its at:

Buy a Lenco for cheap and DIY a massive plinth (or have someone DIY it for you in my case).

-Jim

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2007, 02:57 am »
I wish him luck...but I can't help but think he lost touch with his original supporters.

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2007, 03:32 am »
It sure looks impressive.  Kudos on the design. :thumb:  I have no problem with Teres going upmarket, though I can see Josh's point. 

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2007, 03:51 am »
That is boat load of $$$.  It faces major competition from many upscale established brands...There are more beautiful and competent tables that can be had for lesser dough....  I would take an used VPI with some great arm for a WHOLE less buckets of money...

PS:  I would include some sort of controller for something like the above, like the SDS. 

:thumb: :thumb:

nathanm

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2007, 03:51 am »
A lot of those crazy high end turntables seem to be exercises in aesthetic overindulgence.  You've got stuff like ClearAudio, Vyger, Transrotor and such who slake one's lust for machined METAL and acrylic.  More glorious slabs of metal!  More icy blocks of crystal clear acrylic!  More! More!  Yeeeesss!!!  And with Teres you can totally get your silky smooth cocobolo and satin finish aluminum fix on.  Arrggh!  Thicker cocobolo! MORE!  Look at that grain!  yeeessss!!!  Don't get me wrong, I love this stuff, but man sometimes it's so over the top.  It's amazing how much STUFF folks have managed to glom onto such a simple geometric concept.  I'd snap one up if I had the money, but I don't think I'd be terribly surprised if it sounded as good as what I have.  It would still be a centerpiece for worshipping the gods of aesthetics, though that's for sure.  Probably get little miniature spot lights to shine on it and such.  Or maybe candles.  A turntable like that is really a shrine or an altar, not just a gadget for playing a crappy, outdated music format! :wink:

mcrespo71

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2007, 03:57 am »

"Both the absolute speed and speed constancy are tightly controlled. The speed at 33-1/3 RPM is established at -0.011% +- 0.003% and 0.006% +-0.003% at 45 RPM."

I don't think the two tables you mentioned are getting anywhere near these numbers.

Haven't you heard of Psychicanimal's Creature on Steroids? :weights: Marbles, you can't get more accurate than that!

brj

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2007, 05:09 am »
Quote from: Wayne1
Chris Brady is hosting the Colorado Audio Society this weekend.

Any specifics on the meet, Wayne?  I confess that I'm not naturally inclined toward vinyl, but Chris' work is absolutely beautiful, and I'm suffering from audio withdrawal these days! :)

Psychicanimal

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2007, 10:38 am »
Haven't you heard of Psychicanimal's Creature on Steroids? :weights: Marbles, you can't get more accurate than that!

Not for the money...and then a few thousands more.  :nono:

For years I've been posting Teres decks were direct drive in drag.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2007, 01:16 pm »
Colorado Audio Society meeting at Chris's house tonight at 6:30. A quiet listening session begins at 5:00.

Chris sent out invitations but is always very welcoming. Call 303-466-3614 for directions to his house.

I think upmarket is the place to go. Audiophiles are dyind off and drying up. The wealthy purchase ostentatious products without much concern for value and the up and coming audio prospect has bigger fish to fry such as buying a house and starting a family.

I don't mean to imply that Teres is not good value, but as many of you have pointed out, the savvy audiophile can access very similar performance for a fraction of the cost.
By the way, Chris took belt drive as far as he could before developing a direct drive system which surpasses it. VPI has no place in this discussion.

PLMONROE

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2007, 03:21 pm »
Help me please, my math is not that good. How many Big Macs with fries can one get for 17k (give or take)?

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2007, 03:29 pm »
I think it's over the top ugly, but I'm not the customer he's targeting...

My sentiments are similar, but to each their own.  How many rosewood trees had to die to make this table?

Anyway, I am not really against going up market.  It makes sense from a business prospective.  I just think he slowly abandoned his initial base.  All of his products go more and more expensive as time marched on and now all the new offerings are uber ultra-fi, at least in price tage.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2007, 03:40 pm »
As a business person, you go where the money is. A friend of mine sells ultra high dollar audio and he says you work just as hard to make a two thousand dollar sale as you do to make a forty thousand dollar sale. It's easy to figure which approach is more efficient.

Wayne1

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2007, 02:52 am »
I just got back from the get together at Chris Brady's. BRJ came with me. This was his first taste of high end vinyl  :wink:

Chris has come up with off shoot of his direct drive TT project.

He realized that the market for $50,000.00 (Certus 460 with stand and 2) Schroeder Reference arms and 2) ZYX Reference cartridges) was very limited. He has come up with a prototype RIM DRIVE system using the same technology for the motor and controller that he used to build the Certus.

He did a direct A/B using a Teres 255 with modded Rega 250 and a $900.00 ZYX cartridge. He first played a track with the belt drive, then switched to rim drive on the same TT. He then moved the album over to the Certus.

There were a lot of folks there who preferred the sound of the rim drive TT over the Certus.

I thought the Certus sounded "better" but to me, it was not over $40,000.00 better.

The rim drive system is going to sell for somewhere between $1400.00 and $1800.00.

Production versions should be available in about 8 weeks.

I took some photos that I will try to post later.

JoshK

« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2007, 03:12 am »
Well I reserve the right to change my mind if he serves up some trickle down technology to the 'people'. 

Wayne1

« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2007, 04:05 am »
Here is a photo of the Teres 255 with the prototype Rim drive motor.

At the very bottom of the photo is the prototype controller.

Here is a shot of the system we were listening to.

Field coil horns. 108 db 1W/1M. Amps are DIY SET 3.5 watt mono blocks. Mercury vapor rectifiers  :D

capo

« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2007, 04:27 am »
Wayne,

Many thanks for the Teres report.

I've got a Teres 255 and it looks like that could be a good upgrade for me.

I've been thinking lately too that the belt drive system is holding the rest of my 'table back a bit.  Actually, it has been more than thinking, it has been hearing.

Question for ya:  how would you compare the 255 with belt drive vs. the 255 with rim drive?

Wayne1

« Reply #19 on: 22 Apr 2007, 04:44 am »
capo,

I own a 255 as well.

It was most interesting listening to the differences.

In comparison to the Rim drive system, the belt drive was looser in the low end and had a pronounced resonance in the mids. The demo track was Linda Ronstadt with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra. Her voice was very "shouty" with the belt. Imagine your voice with your hands cupped in front of your mouth. It was that sort of sound.

The rim drive had more body and was "tighter". All in all in was a noticeable and a worthwhile improvement.

The direct drive was quite a bit "cleaner" sounding. Maybe a bit too much for my tastes. I do like vinyl to have some "flavoring"