Introduction

Geebo

Introduction
« on: 18 Oct 2017, 09:30 pm »
I'm from Texas and new to AudioCircle but I've been "into" music and hifi for a very long time.

I attended RMAF 2017 and it got me interested in improving / upgrading my equipment. My latest addition is a used Logitech Squeezebox Touch and I'd be interested to learn about reasonable DAC's I can use with it. I also have nice speakers and some nice vintage equipment.

I look forward to learning from and maybe even contributing to the group

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2017, 09:33 pm »
Welcome Geebo :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2017, 12:32 am »
Welcome to AC!

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2017, 01:01 am »
Welcome to the sweet spot.
If you can clarify what would make a DAC "reasonable" for you, I'm sure that you'll have no shortage of suggestions PDQ. Sounds like you might mean 'budget' or (as it's called around these parts) 'Cheap n' Cheerful'. If so I'd suggest looking into the ODAC, Schiit Modi, or it's better performing namesake the Modi Multibit. Probably other good options as well.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2017, 02:26 am »
Welcome to AC

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2017, 11:08 am »
Welcome.

Good luck with the Squeezebox.  Love the design but had an early one that kept "glitching" and had to sell it.

And yes, please define "reasonable" and "nice" so we can dial you into the best fit for your system.  And let us know if you're interested in high resolution or MQA formats.  If so iFi is your best source for affordable of a wide range of hi-res format playback and Meridian Explorer 2 is about the only source for affordable MQA playback. 

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2017, 11:41 am »
Hello and welcome to AC, Geebo.

Geebo

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2017, 11:53 am »
JLM - I have Klipsch RF-5 speakers and a Nakamichi BX300 that still works perfectly but hasn't been used in years. In between those is a simple Pioneer receiver.  I recently gave away my Dual 506 turntable (with an Audio-Technica AT155LC cartridge) and vinyl collection.

dB Cooper - You're right. I'm looking for a DAC that's inexpensive but will help me produce good sound from my Squeezebox Touch!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2017, 01:27 pm »
Klipsch RF-5 are good for average AV systems.  Any DAC (including the one built into the Touch) should trounce a cassette deck (used to own a Nak 700 in the 70's).  Pioneer made some decent receivers back in the day (used to own a SX-626).  Check out your old gear to ensure they still work.  Capacitors age, driver surrounds can decay, wood/glue can dry out and crack, dust gets in switches, etc. 

Nowadays modern audio systems don't bother with receivers, instead you can connect to your computer and stream thousands of online sources for free or subscribe to Spotify (MP3 lossy format) or Tidal (CD quality) with access to millions of albums.  NAD and NuPrime offer quality/reasonably priced integrated amps that are compact and use modern highly efficient amplification.  Choosing speakers is as much a personal choice as anything.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2017, 01:57 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Geebo   :thumb: