BryFi

1ZIP

Re: BryFi
« Reply #20 on: 5 May 2016, 06:33 pm »
Needs a little bling… like the Bryston logo in Bryston silver, dead center bottom.

servingko

« Reply #21 on: 5 May 2016, 07:10 pm »
I would assume it's a modified Axiom Air moving from a two way driver system to a three way driver system.  There is a lengthy tread regarding connectivity on the Axiom site that may or may or may not apply but is a good read for folks like me that don't dabble much in networking.

Nuz1

« Reply #22 on: 5 May 2016, 07:14 pm »
I'm curious what you mean by your statements about Bluesound.    What mistakes are they making and/or what aren't they providing to users? 

Definitely avoid the mistakes the guys from NAD/Bluesound are making... Pretty good sound, but no clue on what their users want.
I also wonder, why? Stick to what Bryston does best, build superb amps.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 5 May 2016, 07:15 pm »
HI James,

Entering this market might also be about form factor, especially when people put this Bryfi in very visible locations, like i will.
I can't help but feel you designed this device using existing parts, judging on the sizes you mention. Especially the rather large bottom depth, seems to indicate the amp has been 'glued to the back' of the existing mini-speakers.

Did you consider building dedicated speakers and amp for the Bryfi, like Naim did when they engineered their Muso's https://www.naimaudio.com/mu-so ? That way combining specs with wider audience form.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

No this is totally engineered product and has been 2 years in the making.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 5 May 2016, 07:17 pm »
I would assume it's a modified Axiom Air moving from a two way driver system to a three way driver system.  There is a lengthy tread regarding connectivity on the Axiom site that may or may or may not apply but is a good read for folks like me that don't dabble much in networking.

Yes it is our version.

Axioms is a 2-way system but the software feature set will be the same for Bryston.

Ours will be a set of Mini A speakers (so better power handling, true 3-way design – cast baskets etc.) 150 watt class D amplifier and a Raspberry Pi computer all in one portable box. It weighs about 16 pounds without batteries and can use 1 or 2 batteries (8 or 16 hours.)

I am currently working on the Bryston interface app and we should be ready to go in about 3 weeks.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 5 May 2016, 07:19 pm »
Needs a little bling… like the Bryston logo in Bryston silver, dead center bottom.

Hi IZIP

Yes the little pop down drawer in the center will have BRYSTON embossed on the front.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #26 on: 5 May 2016, 07:22 pm »
James,

I'm looking forward to learning more about BryFi.   But I wanted to follow-up on a discussion I had with Gary at Axpona.   I asked if a BDP-2 and a Pi player could be synched up as a part of a whole house system so the music plays uniformly and timed in synch at all locations similar to having multiple Sonos players.  He indicated that both devices could access the same NAS library, but there would be timing issues and the music would not be in exact synch from room to room.   

Would you confirm that?   Perhaps I interpreted Gary response incorrectly.  But if not, I'm hopeful that with what appears to be start of a Bryston whole house system player system, the timing issue for multi-room playback will be a priority to be included.

Currently there are no plans for integration that I am aware of, you understand correctly

Marius

« Reply #27 on: 5 May 2016, 08:15 pm »
I am currently working on the Bryston interface app and we should be ready to go in about 3 weeks.

James

Did you really say app James, as in a dedicated iOS app? Suppose that wouldnt also work with the other Bryston lineup? As in BDP?

#fingerscrossed...

Marius

Marius

« Reply #28 on: 5 May 2016, 08:16 pm »
Hi Marius

james

Cool James, and hope you didn't take offense. Looking forward to it!

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 5 May 2016, 08:36 pm »
James,

I'm looking forward to learning more about BryFi.   But I wanted to follow-up on a discussion I had with Gary at Axpona.   I asked if a BDP-2 and a Pi player could be synched up as a part of a whole house system so the music plays uniformly and timed in synch at all locations similar to having multiple Sonos players.  He indicated that both devices could access the same NAS library, but there would be timing issues and the music would not be in exact synch from room to room.   

Would you confirm that?   Perhaps I interpreted Gary response incorrectly.  But if not, I'm hopeful that with what appears to be start of a Bryston whole house system player system, the timing issue for multi-room playback will be a priority to be included.

Multiple players being able to share a library and play in sync are different technological requirements. The first is currently capable. Customers will often use one BDP or a dedicated NAS to host a whole-house music library that BDPs, smartphones, computers, etc can all access independently. The advantage here is that all devices in the house have access to the same music. If Dad buys an album on HDTracks, Little Johnny can listen to it on his own BDP without having to make a separate copy.

Playing multiple zones in sync is different in that it requires a single player to stream to multiple outputs without perceptible timing differences between zones so that you can walk from the dining room to the kitchen to the patio and have each zone be playing the same portion of a single song at once.

Multiple BDPs in a house can currently share a music collection, but they each index it separately meaning that if you add a song to the NAS, each BDP must be updated separately. But, there is not currently a provision for a single controller to play to multiple BDPs in different zones at once.

Hope that helps.

Nuz1

« Reply #30 on: 5 May 2016, 11:40 pm »
Thanks Gary, that's the way I took your comments at Axpona.  But I thought maybe things had changed with this new product on the horizon.  I'm not a tech guy, so I'm sure I don't appreciate the work it takes to make synchronization happen.   But I was hopeful that if my old Squeezebox Touch, Sonos, Bluesound and DTS Playfi products are all able to synch player timing that Bryston was headed that direction too.   

I know from previous conversations that I can run Bryston players via Logitech media server and (I assume) synch players that way.  But with so much time/effort invested in Manic Moose, I know which program Bryston prefers.   

However, my personal opinion is that if Bryston really wants to make inroads into being "the" whole house music system, I think synchronized playback is something you should consider.   

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #31 on: 6 May 2016, 09:52 am »
I'm curious what you mean by your statements about Bluesound.    What mistakes are they making and/or what aren't they providing to users?
https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2791
They completely ignored the massive wave of comments about the whole "smartplay" issue. Save a few all users on the board disliked it and noone from Bluesound ever made a comment on it. Even worse, they continue to defend it and claim smartplay is the best invention since sliced bread and they get millions of positive reactions to it. Which nobody can find anywhere... I actually know one of their representatives here in the Netherlands, even he told me this was a massive mistake on their side.
For me, if this smartplay is not at least made optional and not a default which can not be changed in the next big update which is june 1st (it will include MQA decoders, but without music available... Don't really see the point), it will be a dealbreaker and I'll probably move on to the Lumin D1.

Anonamemouse

« Reply #32 on: 6 May 2016, 09:57 am »
Hi Marius

james
Wow!
I really should move back to Canada... Unfotunately Mafico is Pushing the Bryston pricetag through the roof...
Happen to need anyone at Bryston?

Marius

« Reply #33 on: 6 May 2016, 10:43 am »
Wow!
I really should move back to Canada... Unfotunately Mafico is Pushing the Bryston pricetag through the roof...
Happen to need anyone at Bryston?

Nope, im first in line ;)

Bryston might better need anyone over here though.. always willing to help Mafico get their website in shape (its been like this for some time now) http://www.mafico-av.nl and respond to customer questions.
Pushing Bryston should be a bit more on the agenda than pushing Bryston prices ;-(

Always wondered how, after buying a full Bryston setup, including the top of the line 28b's, Brystons official dealer network never contacted me about new additions to the Bryston lineup. Or even care to ask if all was well, maybe share some experience or invite for local shows and new product launches. (get them from other brands all the time, Marantz, Sennheiser, and even without owning a Naim, Linn or B&W). Lack of interest for your customer is what kills relationship and loyalty.

That's why we're so very lucky to have this AC board actively supported by James, Chris, Mike and Gary :thumb:  Also, Bryston developing great products helps of course ;)

Still, there's enough opportunity for some extra local effort.

Cheers,
Marius

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 6 May 2016, 01:40 pm »
However, my personal opinion is that if Bryston really wants to make inroads into being "the" whole house music system, I think synchronized playback is something you should consider.

I don't disagree at all. How cool would it be to have your BDP-2 in the listening room, BDP-Pi in the living room, and a couple BryFi units around the house all jamming when guests come over?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 7 May 2016, 10:07 am »
From engineering:

Hi Guys,

I was reading the thread at Audio Circle. 

The new BryFi has sync and does do multi-room.  At the bottom of the playback page all the BryFi units on your network will be in boxes showing the names you gave them.  By clicking on any one of the boxes you can control that unit.  If you go into the “Edit Groups” page you can group rooms together (and take them apart again) and then that group will be controlled together.  BryFi Does everything Sonos does and way more; plus it actually sounds amazing. 

Thanks
Ian

Anonamemouse

« Reply #36 on: 7 May 2016, 10:48 am »
From engineering:

Hi Guys,

I was reading the thread at Audio Circle. 

BryFi Does everything Sonos does and way more; plus it actually sounds amazing. 

Thanks
Ian

Sounds interesting!
How does it compare to the BDP and the PI sonically?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 7 May 2016, 12:55 pm »
Sounds interesting!
How does it compare to the BDP and the PI sonically?

Hi

It uses the same Raspberry Pi computer as the Bryston Pi.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #38 on: 7 May 2016, 05:16 pm »
Can it be stand mounted?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 7 May 2016, 05:22 pm »
Can it be stand mounted?

Hi

I have not tried that but I do not see any reason why not as long as the stand is the minimum depth and width to support the BryFi BW-1 properly.

james