MMG Upgrades

JohnCZ

MMG Upgrades
« on: 15 Feb 2017, 02:18 am »
Recently picked up a nice pair of MMGs that are about 8 years old. Are newer model years improved? Is it worth getting this pair upgraded at Magnepan?
I'm using them as a second system with a 65 watt Yamaha receiver.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: MMG Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2017, 02:56 am »
I would look at this as the best upgrade, not cheap, fairly long wait time, but amazing improvement.  http://www.indiespinzone.com/magnestand.html

Lots of diy mods on the web, Google is your friend.  "Mugs" are particularly diverse and effective.

oldnuke

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2017, 07:44 am »
Upgrade the crossover to a flavor and price point you like.  I went with the older version and with the caps I had on hand.  Elevate them 4 to 12 inches (depending on your sitting height) and tilt them straight.    Try 10 or 12 different placements till you get them dialed in to your ears.  Move the tweeters in.  Mine don't have a lot of resonance and vibration so better footing and firm mounts made a huge change.  I would do these before I would send them off for framing.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2017, 12:38 am »
If you're planning an upgrade for the speakers it would be private party as Magnepan doesn't do upgrades for the MMGs.
To the very best of my knowledge an upgrade is only available for the 3.7.

josh358

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2017, 02:55 am »
Concur with oldnuke. Raise them off the floor and vertical -- you'll be amazed at how the imaging improves. You will lose some bass extension, though -- it's best done with a sub.

JohnCZ

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2017, 06:29 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. I'll re position them and add a small sub. They are fine for now, and I'll do my next upgrade by just going up the line to probably the .7.
John

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2017, 07:33 pm »
Upgrade your amp to something in the 200 wpc range and high current and you will be rewarded with much improved sound.  (I run my MMG's with 225wpc) Also, if you add a sub, get a non ported sub for faster bass and improved integration. I use dual Martin Logan  original Dynamo's with my 1.6's.  They integrate seamlessly.  I have them crossed over at about 45hz.  50 to 60hz would be perfect for the MMG's. Take a look as the SVS SB-1000 or used Martin Logan original Dynamo's or the newer Dynamo 700 and 1000.