Best Dead albums?

Jumpin

Re: Best Dead albums?
« Reply #40 on: 22 Mar 2016, 06:33 pm »
To rbbert -

Been to many shows in the late 70's, 80's and 90's + the iterations since Jerry died.  They are great musicians, albeit not everyone's "cup of tea".  Musically, they have so many dimensions, quiet, aggressive, dark, joyful, rock n roll, space, jazz, metal... but what sets them apart for me is the collected improvisation, that would, at their best, sound like one mind - ie... the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. 

But, I must add, what i have come to appreciate more and more over time, especially with all of the Dead cover projects and tributes, is the strength of their songwriting.  Timeless, Americana, Mysterious and yet, clear links to music of the past and cultures from around the world. 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #41 on: 15 Aug 2016, 10:26 pm »
Sunshine Daydream just arrived in the mail :D. Veneta, OR, 8/27/72. First concert after the European tour. It was held at Ken Kesey's Springfield Dairy on a very hot day. Merry Pranksters last "Acid Test". :green:
I'm listening to the first CD now. (3) CDs and a DVD.

jriggy

« Reply #42 on: 15 Aug 2016, 10:51 pm »
Sunshine Daydream just arrived in the mail :D. Veneta, OR, 8/27/72. First concert after the European tour. It was held at Ken Kesey's Springfield Dairy on a very hot day. Merry Pranksters last "Acid Test". :green:

Nice!! Wait till you watch the movie. Such a great "time capsule" representation of that time and place. I *think* I was suggesting to some to watch the extras first , before the movie. It just helps paint the picture more that way.  I think it was this one at least. Pretty sure though... I'm ready to watch it again soon.

rbbert

« Reply #43 on: 15 Aug 2016, 11:28 pm »
It's a good show, and the recording is also good, a nice juxtaposition.  However it's not the first show after Europe '72, there are at least a dozen others in June, July and August before Veneta.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #44 on: 15 Aug 2016, 11:51 pm »

Thanks rajacat, let me know about the sq please and I'll order it! Great! And just slightly off-topic, I just finished this and can recommend it. But it's not a cd, it's a watchamacallit ... a book.

rbbert

« Reply #45 on: 16 Aug 2016, 12:45 am »
Veneta is also available in 24/96 from livedownloads.com, and IMO is worth getting in hi-res (I have both the CD's and the hi-res download)

bummrush

« Reply #46 on: 16 Aug 2016, 02:28 pm »
Betty boards  from July 78 vrry good sound and outstanding shows.

jriggy

« Reply #47 on: 16 Aug 2016, 02:50 pm »
Veneta is also available in 24/96 from livedownloads.com, and IMO is worth getting in hi-res (I have both the CD's and the hi-res download)

Yep! The Blu-ray sound really really good as well.

Billy's book: Fun stuff! I love his "Team Dead" stance throughout. Sounds like a brother to the end.

bummrush

« Reply #48 on: 16 Aug 2016, 06:23 pm »
Reading Bills book t. Also reading Bill Waltons autobiography..

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #49 on: 16 Aug 2016, 07:05 pm »
Reading Bills book t. Also reading Bill Waltons autobiography..
I just finished the Bill Walton book. It's amazing that he kept playing for as long as he did given all the injuries.
A little OT but as I'm the OP  :)... my choice. Another interesting autobiography is Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life
by William Finnegan
. It's a very good read thats fits into the next generations counterculture journey. It's very well written as befits the authors present status as a writer for The New Yorker. Being an ex surfer, this book has a special meaning for me.https://www.amazon.com/Barbarian-Days-Surfing-William-Finnegan/dp/0143109391/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471372635&sr=1-1&keywords=barbarian+days

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #50 on: 29 Aug 2016, 12:23 am »
I've come to the conclusion that this recording ( Sunshine Daydream) was definitely worth buying. :thumb: I finally got around to watching the DVD and it was excellent! Lots of nude hippies, of course, given that the weather was in the nineties. Everyone sure was skinny back in those days. They had some tuning problems caused by the heat but otherwise the sound was excellent given the age of the tapes. This is an intimate recording. It felt like I had a front row seat.
     The DVD really captured the atmosphere of the concert. It was a little rough around the edges but that reflects the semi chaotic nature of rock concerts at the time. Not so slick and overly produced as concerts nowadays.

I thought the band sounded very tight, stayed focused despite some technical issues.  A problem with tainted water for the  huge crowd caused some distraction to be sure.  You have to applaud them playing at a high level despite the heat. Just finished listening to Set 3 again. A spaced out, free jazzy 31 minute Dark Star led off and I especially enjoyed a hard rocking Sugar Magnolia and Merle Haggards Sing Me Back Home. 
  I think I'm going to buy another Dead recording soon. Maybe something from a little earlier say a Fillmore West recording. I'll start exploring the free downloads too.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 30 Aug 2016, 06:54 pm »
There's certainly enough great Dead to choose from. I heard this again last night and I like it quite a lot. The Dead core of Weir, Lesh and Hart are joined by Bruce Hornsby, John Molo, Dave Ellis, Mark Karan and Steve Kimock. The spirit of the Dead runs throughout and everybody's in great form. The sq suffers a little in some places but it's a good listen.

Cheers,
kP

The Other Ones, The Strange Remain

jriggy

« Reply #52 on: 30 Aug 2016, 07:20 pm »
There's certainly enough great Dead to choose from. I heard this again last night and I like it quite a lot. The Dead core of Weir, Lesh and Hart are joined by Bruce Hornsby, John Molo, Dave Ellis, Mark Karan and Steve Kimock. The spirit of the Dead runs throughout and everybody's in great form. The sq suffers a little in some places but it's a good listen.

Cheers,
kP

The Other Ones, The Strange Remain

"The Dead core of Weir, Lesh and Hart"... You meant to say Weir, Lesh and Kreutzmann...and then Hart.  :thumb:

~J

jriggy

« Reply #53 on: 30 Aug 2016, 07:35 pm »
I've come to the conclusion that this recording ( Sunshine Daydream) was definitely worth buying. :thumb: I finally got around to watching the DVD and it was excellent! Lots of nude hippies, of course, given that the weather was in the nineties. Everyone sure was skinny back in those days. They had some tuning problems caused by the heat but otherwise the sound was excellent given the age of the tapes. This is an intimate recording. It felt like I had a front row seat.
     The DVD really captured the atmosphere of the concert. It was a little rough around the edges but that reflects the semi chaotic nature of rock concerts at the time. Not so slick and overly produced as concerts nowadays.

I thought the band sounded very tight, stayed focused despite some technical issues.  A problem with tainted water for the  huge crowd caused some distraction to be sure.  You have to applaud them playing at a high level despite the heat. Just finished listening to Set 3 again. A spaced out, free jazzy 31 minute Dark Star led off and I especially enjoyed a hard rocking Sugar Magnolia and Merle Haggards Sing Me Back Home. 
  I think I'm going to buy another Dead recording soon. Maybe something from a little earlier say a Fillmore West recording. I'll start exploring the free downloads too.

If you don't have much early Dead, might as well go ahead and get the "Two From the Vault" and "Three From the Vault"(3 is exiting 'early' Dead) releases.

Of course there is lots to look for from '68, '69 and '70 (and '71) but these two are a really great start and will be a lil better SQ than Dick's Picks or Dave's Picks releases, which are all 2 ch recordings. Not to take anything away from all those great sounding releases...  I *think* BOTH of these "Vault Series" releases are multi-track.

stlrman

« Reply #54 on: 30 Aug 2016, 10:36 pm »
A bit off topic but,
What do you guys think of the new Dead and Co.  band?
I like what I have heard on YouTube!

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
« Reply #55 on: 30 Aug 2016, 11:01 pm »
"The Dead core of Weir, Lesh and Hart"... You meant to say Weir, Lesh and Kreutzmann...and then Hart.  :thumb:

~J

Well, yes, normally but BKs not on the recording.

rbbert

« Reply #56 on: 31 Aug 2016, 12:03 am »
A bit off topic but,
What do you guys think of the new Dead and Co.  band?
I like what I have heard on YouTube!
Surprisingly good, and the sound quality of the recordings of the later summer concerts is very good (in 24/96 PCM).  Of course this band has BK but no Phil...

jriggy

« Reply #57 on: 31 Aug 2016, 01:37 pm »
Well, yes, normally but BKs not on the recording.

:o wow, I did not know that! Oh yea, John Molo. He was Phil's drummer from Phil and Friends. That guy could play like a machine some times.

Mike B.

« Reply #58 on: 31 Aug 2016, 03:31 pm »

I believe it was held at the Renaissance Fair site west of Veneta. It was a stage erected at the west end of their property. I was there. The fair is now called the Oregon Country Fair and it is held every July.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #59 on: 1 Sep 2016, 10:39 pm »

I'm interested in bulking up my Grateful Dead collection with sound quality being a top priority. The quality of the performance is also important but I'm not particularly interested in cd/vinyl that doesn't meet a relatively high standard.....
Thanks,
Roy
..... They had some tuning problems caused by the heat but otherwise the sound was excellent given the age of the tapes. This is an intimate recording. It felt like I had a front row seat.....

Based on the recommendations here about this show I ordered "Sunshine Daydream".  I think it's a great performance but sound quality is average.  My earlier recommendation of "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Grateful Dead" is a far superior recording.
......I have a number of Concert CD's, I prefer the single drummer years (72-74) and from those years two Concerts stand out for me, Steppin' out with the Grateful Dead, recorded in UK on the '72 tour, and Ladies and Gentlemen: The Grateful Dead, recorded, I think, in New York.  It has a stellar Dark Star with Tom Constanten sitting in/returning.  I know everyone will have their favorites, and I would love to hear suggestions, but of my 12 or so "official"  concert CDs, these are my two favorites and provide a great deal of the content for my ever evolving Best Dead Concert Ever compilation that I have been working on for months.

Phil
I think the best place to start is with the 4 CD set Ladies and Gentlemen: The Grateful Dead  http://www.amazon.com/Ladies-Gentlemen-The-Grateful-Dead/dp/B0002VETHC

One of the best performances of the band AND sound quality ever recorded.  Closing of the Filmore East.  Great lineup in the band with just 1 drummer, and Pigpen still sounding good.  Just before the Keith and Donna phase.  I don't have all the Dick's Picks, but many.  This is a superior recording to all (or almost all) others......

Since we both feel "Ladies and Gentlemen...." is a great show and recording, I'll order "Steppin' out" and report back.