Linked Events

• T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach: 31 May 2013 - 2 Jun 2013

T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach

SoCalWJS

Re: T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach
« Reply #120 on: 6 Jun 2013, 01:10 pm »
I thought that room was just ho hum.  Very smooth but lacking some detail I had heard elsewhere.  Perhaps the wrong music and the wrong timing.  No one seemed to be in charge keeping the ball rolling.  All that beautiful Audio Research gear.  I wouldn't even call it one of my top ten. 

One of my favorite rooms was a cable company with all Modright gear and Marten speakers.  Who was that company.  They were a great positive energy.  They turned me onto some new music.  It was a sweet system.
Dynamic Design AV

Wondered if you were going to mention that room - we sure talked about it a lot while we were in the room and afterwards. Gotta agree - a very nice sound being produced there.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment of the AR/Wilson. I'm usually a big fan of a properly set up Wilson room with good gear. Never heard it at this show. :(

That's what makes this hobby interesting - different opinions. I've heard people make positive comments about rooms that I could barely stand walking into. I left as soon as I heard the sound being produced. Meanwhile, I've heard many negative comments about rooms that I thought were pretty d@mn good.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #121 on: 6 Jun 2013, 03:02 pm »
I have never made money on tips from brokers.  They are not about making money for you, just themselves IME.  Instead, I would recommend to watch the nightly business report every night.  Search on Google for what Warren Buffet is buying and selling (ie: IBM and PSX). Also, if you get a brokerage account for your IRA at Fidelity, they have every day the buy/sell ratios for lots of highly traded stocks.  You can identify dips and buy on these and sell when everyone else is selling.  That way you leverage expertise from a wide swath of investors, both private and professional.

Steve N.
Thank you, Steve N.

This photo or set-up has me thinking.  My front firing speaks are 54" from the front of their cabinets to the wall behind.  Depth if field is darn good but I believe I'll go for a good bit more.  Now that's gonna put me nearer to the larger IKEA record rack against the wall behind me in a 15' long room, but I'm thinking that would be no big deal.  My ears would still be at the point of an equilateral triangle.  Secondly, my equipment table is not bulky by any means but notice in the pic above that there is no equipment table or rack.  Here's a visual of my present set-up-

I'm thinking that were I to move my turntable and rack from behind the speakers and add two more GIK panels to the wall that could be a sonic enhancement.  Further, there would be no visual impairment to the stage, just black space.  It's hard to dismiss the visual distraction of my turntable and rack where it presently is.  As the speakers are active, all that would remain is my power conditioner for my speakers.  Two longer IC's is all I would need.  Thoughts, problems, anyone?

« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2013, 12:53 am by jimdgoulding »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #122 on: 6 Jun 2013, 04:07 pm »
Forcing the seating closer to the wall behind you likely isn't a good idea. If you keep the seating the same and want to pull the speakers forward, just pull them a tad closer together too so you maintain the equilateral if that is your preference.

Bryan

Cheeseboy

« Reply #123 on: 6 Jun 2013, 04:52 pm »
Dynamic Design AV

Best Demonstration of the Audible Difference of Music Played with a Positive Attitude and Vibe 

I have heard a Modwright Pre-Amp here and a Modwright modified Oppo there but never everything in one system.   Wow I can dig it!  The Marten Speaker interpretation of what the equipment served up was stunning.  But then I have to postulate.  Was it the Modwright?   or was it the Dynamic Design AV cabling?  It has been shown that a healthy positive attitude can effect the molecules around it.  It is my personal theory that this system sounded so incredible because the people around us in the demo were just so happy we could share thier great sound room with them.   If the Dynamic Design products are manufactured with that same positivity then they have it stored in the copper molecules.   I think we should all try these cables and find out for ourselves. 

Loved this CD.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #124 on: 6 Jun 2013, 05:08 pm »
Dynamic Design AV

Best Demonstration of the Audible Difference of Music Played with a Positive Attitude and Vibe 

I have heard a Modwright Pre-Amp here and a Modwright modified Oppo there but never everything in one system.   Wow I can dig it!  The Marten Speaker interpretation of what the equipment served up was stunning.  But then I have to postulate.  Was it the Modwright?   or was it the Dynamic Design AV cabling?  It has been shown that a healthy positive attitude can effect the molecules around it.  It is my personal theory that this system sounded so incredible because the people around us in the demo were just so happy we could share thier great sound room with them.   If the Dynamic Design products are manufactured with that same positivity then they have it stored in the copper molecules.   I think we should all try these cables and find out for ourselves. 

Loved this CD.
Music being played was definitely a factor, but methinks the system (MW modified Oppo 105/ MW 36.5/MW 150 SE/Marten Speakers with good cables) had something to do with it  :green:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #125 on: 6 Jun 2013, 05:44 pm »
Forcing the seating closer to the wall behind you likely isn't a good idea. If you keep the seating the same and want to pull the speakers forward, just pull them a tad closer together too so you maintain the equilateral if that is your preference.

Bryan
Thanks, B.  The wall behind me is 50% open with a diagonal staircase dividing the wall and the opening into the room on one side.  From the enclosed corner on the other and extended out a good ways is me IKEA open back record cabinet, so there really isn't a launch or loading of uniform waveforms as you may have thought.  Your recommendation will get tried, tho, on the chance that it might be a better solution.   Again, thanks.

jhm731

« Reply #126 on: 6 Jun 2013, 06:04 pm »
Cheeseboy & SoCalWJS- thanks for the feedback on the Wilson room.

Michael Fremer(Wilson XLF owner) comments on the room around the 40 min. mark of this podcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS-dWDowCHw

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #127 on: 6 Jun 2013, 06:30 pm »
I'm thinking that were I to move my turntable and rack from behind the speakers and add two more GIK panels to the wall that could be a sonic enhancement.  Further, there would be no visual impairment to the stage, just black space.  It's hard to dismiss the visual distraction of my turntable and rack where it presently is.  As the speakers are active, all that would remain is my power conditioner for my speakers.  Two longer IC's is all I would need.  Thoughts, problems, anyone?

Do it!  Powered speakers means no long speaker cable  runs.  I've had my gear off to the side for years and it opens up the space sonically and visually. 

Putting some object of contemplation between the speakers can be really cool.  My friend has a large framed photo of Bernstein conducting an orchestra between his speakers.  Even a simple lava lamp works well.

Russ

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #128 on: 6 Jun 2013, 06:46 pm »
My first contribution to this thread.  The last two Newport shows I worked so hard as the sound engineer for all the live music that I didn't get to see much. 

This year I didn't work at all.  I love mixing live music, but for an event like this, I'd rather relax with friends than put in four straight 15 hour days.  So I wandered around, took in some seminars, shopped for vinyl, laid out by the pool and listened to jazz, hosted the audio society hospitality suite, and just hung out with my buddies.  I decided to judge my show experience on how many new friends I made and how many old friends I reconnected with rather than how many rooms I visited.  Based on that criteria, I had a great time.

Russ

jimdgoulding

« Reply #129 on: 6 Jun 2013, 06:55 pm »
Do it!  Powered speakers means no long speaker cable  runs.  I've had my gear off to the side for years and it opens up the space sonically and visually. 

Putting some object of contemplation between the speakers can be really cool.  My friend has a large framed photo of Bernstein conducting an orchestra between his speakers.  Even a simple lava lamp works well.

Russ

Well alright, then!  And opening up the space sonically and visually is exactly what I am attempting to do.  Don't think I'll put an object of contemplation out there, however, as it's purely the stage and the music that I want to contemplate.  Thanks.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #130 on: 6 Jun 2013, 07:52 pm »
I would predict that they beat any other speaker.  Never heard anything like them before in 15 years of doing shows.  Ryan can give you the anechoic chamber plots.

I put my system back together at home and I'm now playing many of the new tracks I acquired that sounded amazing on the show speakers.  Really disappointing.  I hate my system :cry:

Steve N.

Hey Steve, thanks for the kind words ... but your front end deserves much praise as well!  I've tried myself at home doing experiments like flac vs wav, and had never heard the obvious and immediate difference that we did at Newport using your gear.  It's was clear within 5 seconds even standing on the left side of the room, not just in the sweet spot.  And my DAC at home is no slouch at almost $6000.  Yours is just much better at fleshing out low level details than anything I've ever heard. 

Those Final Drive transformers made a nice difference on Saturday once hooked up as well, the improvement in speed was immediate!

a.wayne

« Reply #131 on: 6 Jun 2013, 09:57 pm »
Dynamic Design AV

Loved this CD.

Seriously wicked CD,  a larger speaker than pictured would be required to really hear Masekela ......:)

a.wayne

« Reply #132 on: 6 Jun 2013, 10:10 pm »
Cheeseboy & SoCalWJS- thanks for the feedback on the Wilson room.

Michael Fremer(Wilson XLF owner) comments on the room around the 40 min. mark of this podcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS-dWDowCHw

Ahhh, Mickey,

admitting to being another backward and stupid American  @ the 11:44 mark  ..... :)
Bass Frequencies from 500-1000 Hz ...:)

who really take's Fremer  seriously ...

Geeez

Cheeseboy

« Reply #133 on: 6 Jun 2013, 10:59 pm »
I was really soakin up that CD.  We all were.  Those speakers are bigger than you can really tell.  The monoblocs are massive.   Masekela was there with us.  You would have been happy!

a.wayne

« Reply #134 on: 7 Jun 2013, 03:13 am »
I hear you ........ :)

soundofrockets

« Reply #135 on: 7 Jun 2013, 05:40 am »
this was my first show.  and i had a blast.  thanks to the guys hanging with me and "dealing" with me.  i can be a little difficult and stubborn at times but hats off to Steve, Cliff, John, his lovely wife Ann and of course Hugh. 

what was the name of the second CD we heard in that wilson room, Steve ?

i really want to learn more about the room synergy and all the cups and tumblers that it comes with..

will post some pixs soon...............

audioengr

« Reply #136 on: 7 Jun 2013, 05:11 pm »
Hey Steve, thanks for the kind words ... but your front end deserves much praise as well!  I've tried myself at home doing experiments like flac vs wav, and had never heard the obvious and immediate difference that we did at Newport using your gear.  It's was clear within 5 seconds even standing on the left side of the room, not just in the sweet spot.  And my DAC at home is no slouch at almost $6000.  Yours is just much better at fleshing out low level details than anything I've ever heard. 

That is certainly nice to hear, thanks. 

I always get a lot of flack, especially on Asylum about hearing the sonic differences in .wav and the other formats including AIFF, ALAC and FLAC and even uncompressed FLAC.  The experiment this time at Newport was .wav versus AIFF.  It seems implausible, but the difference is clearly there.  .wav is superior.  Hard to believe that Apple cannot properly decode their own format :duh: It's really a shame that there is no alternative to .wav with the same audio quality.  Many folks leave the room disappointed in their own music libraries when they hear this.  The good news is that at least with ALAC and FLAC, you can get back to pristine .wav.  Not sure that is the case with AIFF....

Those Final Drive transformers made a nice difference on Saturday once hooked up as well, the improvement in speed was immediate!

Some of the improvement was due to using the balanced outputs of the DAC to drive the SE amps.  It is also beneficial to break the ground-loops.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #137 on: 7 Jun 2013, 06:21 pm »
this was my first show.  and i had a blast.  thanks to the guys hanging with me and "dealing" with me.  i can be a little difficult and stubborn at times but hats off to Steve, Cliff, John, his lovely wife Ann and of course Hugh. 

what was the name of the second CD we heard in that wilson room, Steve ?

i really want to learn more about the room synergy and all the cups and tumblers that it comes with..

will post some pixs soon...............

We had fun with you being there too.  Did you get home that night and check on your system compared to what you heard for two days?   I know you did.  Everytime I go to a good audio listening I run home and check my system.   Whew.  It still sounds good just needs some work.   

John and Anne make for the best host and hostess team for this event.   They must feel like they are herding cats.  They both should be canonized as saints for putting up with us.  I keep an eye on Anne.   She must have bat good hearing.   It takes me about 3 minutes to either settle in with a demo or leave.  Anne it takes 10 seconds.   If she starts texting or working her technology I know it's time to split.   John is more kind and will actually wait for eye contact then make a face.   What do you expect from a couple that own two systems, one line source and one open baffle?   Thank you both for staying with us through the event. 

Which Wilson room?  The one with the tuning cups was Stevie Ray Vaugn.  I can't remember anything about the room with Wilson where the owner of the company was from your home town.  It gave me gas.   

rbbert

« Reply #138 on: 7 Jun 2013, 06:29 pm »
...The good news is that at least with ALAC and FLAC, you can get back to pristine .wav.  Not sure that is the case with AIFF....

Why would it not be the case?? Convert WAV to FLAC, then to AIFF, then to FLAC, then back to WAV.   You'll end up with the same file you started with (except possibly for metadata changes).

Along the same lines, how does  it sound to use something like Jplay Mini set up to decode FLAC to WAV (into RAM) before playing, compared to playing a native WAV  file?

audioengr

« Reply #139 on: 7 Jun 2013, 07:00 pm »
Why would it not be the case?? Convert WAV to FLAC, then to AIFF, then to FLAC, then back to WAV.   You'll end up with the same file you started with (except possibly for metadata changes).

Along the same lines, how does  it sound to use something like Jplay Mini set up to decode FLAC to WAV (into RAM) before playing, compared to playing a native WAV  file?

Good question.  In theory if the problem is on-the-fly decoding, it should be identical to .wav.  I don't have Jplay.  Just currently trying Jriver for Mac.

Steve N.