Transformers on Maraschino

RCduck7

Transformers on Maraschino
« on: 9 Aug 2015, 10:57 pm »
Hi, long ago since i been on the forum. My attic for my hifi setup with the Cherry Maraschinos is ready. It only needs a lick of paint. Will post about this on an other occasion.

I have a 1000V transformer laying on my attic from my previous setup. It prevents from electrical noise going through a setup, it's not your familiar conditioner.
http://www.sacthailand.com/Transformer_Blitz.html

I heard recording studios use something like this but closer to 3000V or 4000V transformers i believe, i have a 1000V for eventually 6 Maraschinos in a surround set up.
Would my 60V power supply benefit from the incoming signal from the wall socket if it comes through this transformer or should i sell it??

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Transformers on Maraschino
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2015, 07:41 pm »
Note that the transformer is 1000 VA - that's Volt:Amps. Which is very similar to Watts.

Their drawings have several errors with respect to the Safety Ground/Protective Earth connections.

RCduck7

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2015, 09:46 pm »
I did a test once on this transformer with a noise detector.
http://www.kempelektroniksshop.nl/accessories/divers/mains-noise-detector.html
There was clearly no noise coming from the transformer compared to the wall socket without the transformer in between. I could only hear a very mild buzz with the transformer.
Considering the the transformer will give 1000 Watts it might be better to only us 2 Maraschinos for the front channels instead of 6 amps??
But since the Maraschino has it's own 60V power supply would a transformer actually make a difference. On class B amps yes, but on class D???

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2015, 09:15 pm »
Interesting device from Kemp Elektroniks!

Some Maraschino users have said they notice a slight improvement when using line conditioning.  However, the Maraschino amplifier system was designed not to require such devices in four ways:
1. Power provided to the amplifiers is "reconstructed" and regulated by the power supply.
2. The amplifiers themselves have excellent PSRR (Power Supply [noise] Rejection Ratio).
3. The GND of the amplifier is floating and locked to the source.  This eliminates hum in systems where it was previously an issue.
4. Common mode noise is cancelled out by the input stage. 

It comes down to "YMMV", but I would recommend putting the amps on a separate AC circuit from the source only if the grounding is verified to be done properly.  Well designed source components will have similar noise-countermeasures against AC line noise susceptibility.

Thanks for your posts.

Best Regards,
Tommy O

RCduck7

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2015, 09:44 pm »
Thanks! Sounds reassuring the amps have good noise reduction ratio. I'm not trying to solve a problem here but since i have these transformers laying around...
The grounding is not good in my house but i will fix that.
 I'm thinking of keeping the transformers for source and preamp components and put the amps on a different AC circuit without a transfomer in between. A 800VA and 1000VA transformer is plenty for sources and preamp. For (all the) amplifiers it might provide not enough headroom. But then again these transformers are pricey and i can put the money in something else when i sell these. I'd propably will rent the noise detector again for my new place for a conclusion.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2015, 02:25 pm »
A stake in the garden has nothing to do with power quality for audio systems.
The stake is there for safety reasons only.
But an old city all metal water pipe system might be a different story.

GregC

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2015, 06:21 pm »
I have inline Maraschinos with the 60v power supplies and I can tell you they are dead quiet even with the preamp at higher gain and 97db efficient speakers.