RM-30 w/Rel subwoofer - Crossover freq?

santakrooz

RM-30 w/Rel subwoofer - Crossover freq?
« on: 22 Mar 2015, 03:03 am »
Hi, I'm adding a Rel Q201e to my RM-30 2-channel setup. Wondering what thoughts are on a recommended crossover freq for the Sub should be? I have at 120hz right now.  Anyone else running sub w their RM-30s (for 2-channel)?

Thx
SK

Phil A

Re: RM-30 w/Rel subwoofer - Crossover freq?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2015, 03:26 am »
A Rel should be run just below where the mains drop off in your room.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2015, 03:30 am »

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2015, 03:33 am »
Per the below, depending on your room measurements you most certainly want the crossover considerably lower than 120Hz

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak091204.shtml

“The bass of the RM30 was very strong and punchy right out of the box; however, it rolled off just below 40Hz in my room after some initial positioning. I began with the side-firing woofers facing inward and later changed them to face outward, which I didn’t think made a huge difference. After a couple of weeks of positioning, playing the speakers, and removing a bit of Mortite from the front passive radiators (PRs) of each speaker, I did measure fairly flat response to 31.5Hz in my room. So the bass is quite robust and extends fairly deep. For my taste, I could take or leave a good subwoofer. Those that insist upon strong output in the bottom octave will require a good dedicated subwoofer system. The response does roll steeply after 31.5Hz and was down at least 10dB at 25Hz. I achieved these figures with the front plane of the speakers about 37 inches from the front wall.”

mjmessina

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2015, 11:29 am »
I also found that around 120hz sounds the best.  I have a large room though.  I have multi and 2 channel listening modes.  Both sound great at 120hz.

santakrooz

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2015, 03:48 am »
Per the below, depending on your room measurements you most certainly want the crossover considerably lower than 120Hz

Thx!

SK