Sonore Signature Series Power Supply - a computer audiophile power supply

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
In 2009 Sonore started an internal R$D project to build a power supply for our Sonore music servers. We felt that the power supply was the key to making an already great product even better. Regardless of the specification, the criteria for the power supply was simple....it had to be a WOW. We knew that existing customers would upgrade to it and since the Sonore music server was already a huge improvement over their CD players the power supply had to make another noticeable improvement. First, we conducted research on what was readily available in the computer industry and we found a mind field of junk. Second, we looked at some of the leading power supply builders and commissioned two power supplies one low power and one higher power. Long story short one burned my hand and the other nearly caught on fire. So much for the experts. This called for a new criteria...WOW and safe:) Fast forward two years into the project (we didn't have a deadline only a criteria) and my VP had a breakthrough and decided to assemble a prototype in house. That prototype and the production units are identical because it was perfect.

This is an internal memo from my VP to me describing the Sonore Signature Series Power Supply, "The second setup involved the Sonore Signature power supply with 150 Watts playing back a combination of the three albums above mentioned.  This time the midrange had more life and character as Diana’s Voice came out of the speaker into the living room.  The bass was authoritative and clean and the highs sounded less harsh.  The overall sound stage improved by 40% in terms of ambiance space.  The tonal quality of the voices and instruments were represented almost lifelike.  The sonics were not “computerize” sounding and bettered the sound out of a $5,000 CD player on a head to head comparison."

With the design finally finished we offered the Sonore Signature Series Power Supply as an upgrade to existing customers. Nearly all of our customers took us up on the offer. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive. A few people even emailed the word "WOW" one guy emailed "Holy Shit" We then offered the Sonore Signature Series Power Supply with new Sonore music servers as an upgrade and nearly all new customers purchased the power supply in combination. The funny thing is that this power supply can work with almost any computer music server and I can't recall any external sales.

FEATURES
Ultra low noise
95% improvement in ripple over the standard issue power supply
Custom Cardas DC cable
Low leakage current 60 uA to 200 uA
Full 12.5 amp output at 12 VDC
Overcurrent protection
Overvoltage protection
Line regulation 48 mV
Load regulation  96 mV
.98 power factor rating at 120 VAC input
85% minimum efficiency
Harmonic filter
Internally wired with Cardas 11.5 AWG conductors
Unit comes with Vibration Absorption footers

Notes:
1. This unit should be placed on either a hard surface (i.e. wood shelve, granite, glass) or directly on a hard floor. This unit is not intended to rest on rugs.

COMPATIBILITY
Music Server  Audio Card  Input Voltage  Wattage  Recommended PS 
CAPS 1  Lynxs AES16  12VDC  60W  Sonore Upgrade PS 
CAPS 2  SOtM tX-USB-PCI  12VDC  60W  Sonore Upgrade PS 
CAPS 3 Topanga  None  8-19VDC  60W  SOtM PS or Sonore Upgrade PS 
CAPS 3 Carbon  SOtM tX-USB-PCIe  8-19VDC / 6.5-9VDC  60W  SOtM PS or Sonore Upgrade PS 
CAPS 3 Laguna  SOtM tX-USB-PCIe  8-19VDC / 6.5-9VDC  60W  SOtM PS or Sonore Upgrade PS 
CAPS 3 Zuma  SOtM tX-USB-PCIe  12VDC / 6.5-9VDC  102W  Sonore Upgrade PS 
W4S MS1/MS2  Digital Output Board  12VDC  60W  Sonore Upgrade PS 
Q-Sonic  Digital Output Board  12VDC  84W  Sonore Upgrade PS 
*The SOtM Linear Power Supply has dual output for the Carbon's and Laguna's MB and SOtM card

MODELS
Power input: 110/220 VAC

For pricing and availability please visit our website http://www.sonore.us

Sonore is trademarks of Simple Design
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2019, 11:18 pm by vortecjr »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Second, we looked at some of the leading power supply builders and commissioned two power supplies one low power and one higher power. Long story short one burned my hand and the other nearly caught on fire. So much for the experts.
Sure would like to know who built these! 

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
Sure would like to know who built these!

I would rather not fuel that fire:)

Jesus R

firedog

Bought a Sonore Signature Series Power Supply
« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2014, 09:18 am »
My music server is a fanless one, with a dual core ATOM board, and SOtM HD filter. No special USB card, as I am presently outputting FW to a Mytek 192 DSD DAC. The original PS was an external "brick" such as sold with laptops.

I'm in the process of upgrading, and will probably buy a new, more powerful server later this year. In the meantime, I thought about a new PS. Considered several, including battery power. In the end, I decided on the Sonore, for a few reasons: a) it's 12.5A, 150W, so it should be able to power whatever server or NAS I'm likely to have. Among others, I thought about the Teddy Pardo PS, but his is limited to 4.5A, and I didn't want to risk that I'd find it unsuitable at some point; b) available battery supplies often seem to be custom made for a specific load and output, and I wanted to get something that would be flexible and have a future - not a PS that would be limited to one server configuration; c) Jesus at Sonore is very helpful - both on this forum and others - and has been also helpful to me personally in the past, even though I hadn't made any major purchases from him. So other things being equal, I wanted to give him some business; d) from what I could tell, other purchasers were happy with the Sonore PS as an upgrade.

Jesus was helpful during the buying process, and answered numerous emails with questions immediately, even late at night. I received the PS a few days ago and immediately plugged it in.

The result? At first I thought "This doesn't sound very different." No "knock you over" change.

Sort of disappointed in the first moments, as it is a pricey item, especially for a PS. I was hoping for something dramatic. But then I sat down and started to listen, and started to hear that yes, my system did sound different.

I don't like to engage in the audiophile hyperbole of "I did 'X' and it made my system sound completely different"; I think we set ourselves and others up for disappointment when we exaggerate improvements in SQ.  That said, I'll try to describe what I hear with the new PS.

First, I'd say my system sounds the same, only better. The essential sound is the same. So what's changed?

Basically everything sounds cleaner and clearer. The improvement is incremental, but quite noticeable when you pay attention. A couple of specific examples: Drum thwacks have more thud, and sound more real. Hand clapping (a sound that apparently often isn't reproduced well, especially with digital playback) sounds more like the real thing. Two small examples, but they give you an idea - everything just sounds that notch closer to "real".

I find I can turn the volume up a bit more before it bothers me - probably a sign of improved SQ, but maybe not a good thing? :)

Additionally, spatial clues seem to have improved, as I've noticed a wider and deeper sound stage, and the "location" of instruments in space seems more clearly defined. I can hear each individual instrument more clearly, too. Voices seem clearer and more "upfront" - in a good way.

I'm assuming what I'm hearing is the result of less noise in the playback, but I don't have any way to measure that.

So I'm pretty happy with the purchase. Recommended to anyone who wants a better PS and has the cash.