Anyone watch The Leftovers?
« on: 1 Sep 2017, 12:47 am »
Thoughts please...
Thanks

dflee

Re: Anyone watch The Leftovers?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2017, 01:15 am »
Watched it all the way through. At times I asked myself why
and could only come up with why not. Thus caught it all.
Enjoyed the characters more than the plot at times.

Don

martinr

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2017, 04:00 pm »
I enjoyed it...watched all episodes...acting was good, story suspenseful although far fetched of course.  If you appreciate a good sci-fi based drama you might like this.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2017, 04:05 pm »
I enjoyed it as well and agree the acting is pretty good. The second season was just crazy weird good and in case anybody is wondering, they do somewhat explain the "incident" that the show is based on in the finale episode. May not be to your liking but I was satisfied with it.

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2017, 11:41 am »
We just finished season one.  We both enjoyed the first season. Season one has the lowest RT score , so we are really looking forward  to season 2 and 3!! :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2017, 01:41 am »
Finished all three seasons  :thumb:
Well worth it.  I highly recommend this series!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2017, 09:57 pm »
I just finished the 3rd & final season of The Leftovers.  Wow, that show packs a punch.  I find that reaction to the show tends to split - people that have been through hardship/loss/grief respond to it very strongly.  Everyone else seems to view it as "a drag".  For me it was a pretty cathartic experience.

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2017, 11:42 am »
I know this will sound dramatic, but I will never watch another show from Damon Lindehoff or whatever his name is. After getting all caught up in Lost, fascinated by every twist, turn and event, only to find myself enjoying the finale, yet later on feeling completely scammed, I was on guard against this guy. So here comes the Leftovers. My cousin started raving about this show on Facebook. He's a pharmacist, and typically has very good taste, so I trusted his judgment and I started watching. I promised myself that as long as this guy plays by the rules he sets, and there is SOME degree of cohesion, I'll stay with it. I watched season one and enjoyed it quite a bit. So then I started up season 2 and my BS meter began alerting me. So I messaged my cousin and explained that I wasn't going to invest HOURS of my time in the remaining season and a half of a show unless this thing has some sort of resolution. When he didn't really put my fears at ease, I knew I was going to bail.

Here's my issue with this guy: He comes up with an interesting premise and finds very talented actors. Then he just starts coming up with WHATEVER sounds cool. Want to give this guy force-like abilities? Let's do it .That's awesome. Should we make these three people just vanish out of thin air? Hell YES! What about this dude over here? What should we do with him...I know...we'll make him JESUS! SCORE!  Basically just adding a bunch of cool stuff that sounds amazing into the show...sounds great, right? Her'es the rub: He knows DAMN WELL he's never going to explain a LICK of it. Not ever. Just like with Lost, he'll say "it's all about how the characters relate to each other...don't try to figure out the strange sounds in the forest...or this mysterious timer clock that you have to keep resetting...just let it goooooooo...what REALLY matters is the CHARACTERS and how they DEAL with all this stuff.

I'm sorry, but to me that's complete nonsense. A talented creator would be able to make the show about those relationships without having to incorporate fantastical, supernatural events and abilities in vain. All this being said, I'm seriously not trying to discourage any of you from watching it lol. It's very well acted, the cinematography is fantastic, and yes, it's interesting. If that's good enough for you, I say this is the show for you. I can only speak for myself and say that I'm not going to invest another minute in anything this guy does.

THROWBACK

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:59 pm »
Alzepp, what a great review!

I have not seen "Leftovers," nor am I likely to now. But I enjoyed your review immensely. I feel stupid and sucked-in when a series starts well, starts to sputter halfway through, but then I watch it to the end anyway. Damn!

And I really appreciated that you gave reasons for your disappointment, and that you did so with such refreshing style and wit.

I look forward to your future comments.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2017, 02:56 pm »
Lol thank you...I felt bad posting that but I just have had it with that guy.