What speakers you are driving with LIO?

timkolacny

Re: What speakers you are driving with LIO?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Oct 2015, 02:19 am »
Using the KEF LS50 and getting ridiculously good music. The LS50 are probably the best $1,500 speaker out there to begin with, but getting them paired with the LIO turns them into super stars (and showed just how lacking my NAIM SuperUniti was).

Getting off the grid with LIO and finding the LS50s have not only made me happy musically for the first time in years, but have also saved me serious money to boot. If you are looking for a sure thing, the LIO/LS50 combo is a winner.

Tim

Current:
LIO Delux (AVC/Tubestage, DAC, Phono Stage, Mosfet Amp)
KEF LS50
Auralic Aries DS
Rega RP6 turntable
Anticable wiring

mcanaday

« Reply #21 on: 14 Oct 2015, 03:13 pm »
My set up is almost identical to Tim's [LIO with AVC/Tubestage, Phonostage, Mosfet amp; Kef LS50s; Rega Rp6; Rega Apollo R; Darwin interconnects; and Transparent wire] and I second his opinion.  It's a fantastic combination!  Margot

Mitch751

« Reply #22 on: 27 Feb 2016, 03:09 am »

The first time connected my LIO to B&W 800 Diamond series 2. Can't believe this LIO with just 25w can drive these big speakers comfortably and more important with good quality sound.

I have read a lot of recommendations of pairing the LIO with Harbeth Super HL5+,  however there is not agent that I can listen in Sydney, therefore I would like to ask whether I should buy this Harbeth? Are these going to outperform my B&W 800 Dismond ?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #23 on: 27 Feb 2016, 03:21 am »

The first time connected my LIO to B&W 800 Diamond series 2. Can't believe this LIO with just 25w can drive these big speakers comfortably and more important with good quality sound.

I have read a lot of recommendations of pairing the LIO with Harbeth Super HL5+,  however there is not agent that I can listen in Sydney, therefore I would like to ask whether I should buy this Harbeth? Are these going to outperform my B&W 800 Dismond ?

Hi Mitch751,

Thanks for your post!  Those speakers dip down to 3-ohm quite a bit in the 100hz - 1kHz range, so I'm glad LIO is pushing
them comfortably  8)

I wouldn't buy any speaker that you can listen to with some sort of trial period / return policy... just in case they don't work
in the context of your tastes, room, type of music, volume level you like to play, etc. 

Aren't the 800 Diamond Series 2 in the >$20K price range?  I'm definitely not one to say that a speaker's MSRP defines its
performance, but if this is true about their price, I would hope that they can outperform the SHL5+ (but perhaps not in the
areas that matter to you?).

Vinnie

Mitch751

« Reply #24 on: 27 Feb 2016, 05:12 am »
Hello Rossi

Thank you for the feedback, yes it costed more than. 20k which I upgraded from 800 signature that I purchased in 2001

I agree with you, see if I can have a trial before my purchase.

By no mean that I am not pleased with my 800 Diamond, however I believe perfect match of a combinations mean a lot

Mitch751

« Reply #25 on: 28 Feb 2016, 06:14 am »

today I took my Harbeth LS3/5 from my study room to sitting area.

Paired with LIO, and I must said this was the best sound ever for the speakers

Vinnie R.

« Reply #26 on: 29 Feb 2016, 07:18 pm »
Hello Rossi

Thank you for the feedback, yes it costed more than. 20k which I upgraded from 800 signature that I purchased in 2001

I agree with you, see if I can have a trial before my purchase.

By no mean that I am not pleased with my 800 Diamond, however I believe perfect match of a combinations mean a lot

Hi Mitch751,

You might want to try a pair of Harbeth 40.1 or 40.2 in that room size - looks good! :eyebrows:

For the Harbeth P3ESR with LIO, I find they sound best in a near field arrangement (e.g. 4 or 5 feet
from the speaker to the ear, and 5 to 6 feet apart, and pull out from the room boundaries).  They
do a great job 'disappearing' this way and image like champs. 

Actually, I find all Harbeths sound great with near field listening.  One of the reasons is because their driver
integration is among the best I've heard.

Thanks for sharing!

Vinnie

Mitch751

« Reply #27 on: 4 Mar 2016, 01:57 am »
Thank you Vinnie , ok I will have s try for 40.2

In the past, I tried to pair this LS3/5S with Krell SA300, Cello Oerformance 2. Jadas JA80, Audio research A150 and Luxmsn SQ38U, I am very sure LIO outperforms all these Amps.

This LIO+ Harbeth LS3/5s abd Roger AB1 make me really enjoying the music.

Timbana

« Reply #28 on: 11 Mar 2016, 07:46 pm »
I've been using my LIO (with Telefunken/AVC and MOSFET amp) to drive Audience 2+2 speakers. The purity that results from coupling full-range drivers (no crossover artifacts) to the LIO (clean, natural sound with no power supply hash) is addictive. I've made a few changes in the past several months that have progressively enhanced my listening enjoyment: 1) Upgraded the 2+2s with the new V2 drivers from Audience, 2) Upgraded cables from Au24 SE to SX, and 3) Changed from supporting the speakers on brass cones to using constrained layer damping between the speakers and stand platforms; the stands are heavily damped with lead shot/micro bearing fill in the lower portion of the pillars, and lead shot/sand in the upper portion; I sandwiched a layer of Herbie's Audio Lab dB Neutralizer between the speaker bottoms and the solid birdseye maple platforms (bonded in compression with removable silicone adhesive). Each change brought meaningful improvements and, taken as a whole, the pure, natural music they yield never fails to put a big ole' grin on my face.

As much as I love my system as is though, I don't think I'll be able to resist Vinnie's new SET option that's due out soon!

« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2016, 11:23 pm by Timbana »

Vinnie R.

« Reply #29 on: 15 Mar 2016, 03:14 pm »
Hi Timbana,

Thank you for sharing pics and details of your system! :thumb:

Each change brought meaningful improvements and, taken as a whole, the pure, natural music they yield never fails to put a big ole' grin on my face.

Glad to hear it!   :thumb:

To all LIO owners,

This thread is inspiring me to start a new one called "Sharing your LIO Experience."

It will be the thread for LIO owners to share more in-depth feedback about items such as:

- What it’s like to live with your LIO (hopefully it has both simplified and enhanced your listening experience!)

- Is it all that you hoped for?

- What has been the biggest surprise?

- How often and how long do you listen to your music?

- What did your LIO replace?

- What does the rest of your system look like (especially what speakers are you driving with LIO)?

- Do you have favorite recordings that you like to show off your system with?

- Is there anything else that you wish to share about your Vinnie Rossi LIO experience?

I'll post it shortly - and am really looking forward to your feedback!  8)

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #30 on: 16 Mar 2016, 05:07 pm »
And here it is:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=141626.0

To LIO customers who have already posted in this thread - feel free to copy/paste your posts (especially with those great pics!)
over to the LIO Experience Thread and add any more detail if you can.

Thanks again for sharing!

Vinnie

Don Ivey

« Reply #31 on: 6 May 2016, 08:46 pm »
Has anybody tried the Lio with Atc scam 11's or 19's?  I've heard they're difficult to drive, but I like their transparency. Thanks,

don Ivey

yardbird4

« Reply #32 on: 7 Dec 2016, 01:12 am »
I recently purchased a pair of Decware HR-1 Speakers on Audiogon.  These speakers are omni-directional. After getting these blended with my REL subwoofers, they are making spectacular music with the LIO DHT. They are detailed without being oppressive; great bass,midrange and treble. The soundstage is spacious, and separation of instrumentation is very realistic.  Some live recordings sound seem to be a very good representation of the real event. You get the impression that you are hearing what the recording engineer put on the vinyl or digital ... good or bad.

After running various models of Spendor speakers for the past 35 years this is probably the end of their era.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #33 on: 7 Dec 2016, 04:00 pm »
I recently purchased a pair of Decware HR-1 Speakers on Audiogon.  These speakers are omni-directional. After getting these blended with my REL subwoofers, they are making spectacular music with the LIO DHT. They are detailed without being oppressive; great bass,midrange and treble. The soundstage is spacious, and separation of instrumentation is very realistic.  Some live recordings sound seem to be a very good representation of the real event. You get the impression that you are hearing what the recording engineer put on the vinyl or digital ... good or bad.

After running various models of Spendor speakers for the past 35 years this is probably the end of their era.

Hi yardbird4,

Nice looking speaker, and an OMNI... I'd love to hear them one day.  I don't think I've ever seen them at the
audio shows.

Thanks for posting!  Glad they work well with your LIO  :)

Vinnie

yardbird4

« Reply #34 on: 7 Dec 2016, 05:46 pm »
Hi yardbird4,

Nice looking speaker, and an OMNI... I'd love to hear them one day.  I don't think I've ever seen them at the
audio shows.

Thanks for posting!  Glad they work well with your LIO  :)

Vinnie

This is one of the direct to consumer manufacturers that apparently does not display at shows, which is unfortunate because I think they would review well.  He holds his own annual sessions called the Decfest. I had been looking at them since they were first released in December 2011 hoping to find a pair for resale. Finding those for resale on Audiogon is like finding a LIO there ... locating a unicorn.

Maybe we can arrange for a session the next time you are attend the Capitol Audio Fest.  I am about 30 minutes from that location.  No pressure!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #35 on: 8 Dec 2016, 04:08 am »
Vinnie

This is one of the direct to consumer manufacturers that apparently does not display at shows, which is unfortunate because I think they would review well.  He holds his own annual sessions called the Decfest. I had been looking at them since they were first released in December 2011 hoping to find a pair for resale. Finding those for resale on Audiogon is like finding a LIO there ... locating a unicorn.

Maybe we can arrange for a session the next time you are attend the Capitol Audio Fest.  I am about 30 minutes from that location.  No pressure!

Hi Yardbird4,

If I'm at CAF in 2017, I'll look you up since you are close by.  Thanks for the invite!  :beer:

Vinnie

radarnyc

« Reply #36 on: 8 Dec 2016, 04:45 pm »
I bought a house earlier this year and part of the contract was to leave the whole house audio equipment. I meant the speakers switches/amps and ceiling/wall speakers. The seller thought so too + he left everything else including a pair a B&W 803s. They sing with the LIO!

jriggy

« Reply #37 on: 8 Dec 2016, 05:42 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats great radarnyc! nice score.

Honestly, is there any speaker that will not sing with the LIO?
From B&W, Volti, Daedalus, Devore, Spacial, Harbeth and more... Some seriously good speakers that seem to be doing fantastic with the LIO --in any configuration.
I have personally heard the LIO with Daedalus, TAD and Devore. Loved it every time.