If you ever wanted a deal on LS-6 or LS-9 kits now is your chance.

johnzm

hey corndog, whats the easiest way to get the felt out of the voce? mine seems to be pretty well glued on this speaker

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is no easy way.

Seriously.

I have a pair of omnis I'm dreading working on.

I usually start by ripping what I can out first by hand then by pliers.  When I can actually see the glue I switch to a hair dryer to soften it up and a flat-tip screwdriver to dig it up.  If needed I take a box-cutter and cut lines into it to break it up piece by piece.  Expect to scrape the crap out of your knuckles and fingers unless you have some nice gloves. 

When I have patches of fibers that I can't even grab with the pliers I grab my little palm sander and sand them off.

If the No Rez weren't so effective at what it does I wouldn't bother.  But it is worth doing and you only have to do it once.

...per speaker. :banghead:
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2010, 01:32 am by corndog71 »

Bonk

My pair of AV123 LS9 cabinets are standing in the living room, waiting to be stuffed, so I went and looked.  I expected them to have round overs behind the woofer cutouts, but they don't  :?- so I may try to set up my router and do a bit of work on them.
Danny,
I am curious if this is only of concern for drivers that handle the ~ 750hz range ?
Or if the effects are evident elsewhere and over a wider range ?
FWIW , my UniAudio made x-cs's and ls6's do not have any round over .
However , my China made ls6's do have what appears to be a 1/4" round over .
How much are we looking to remove ?
Or what size bit would you recommend ? 1/4 round ? 1/2" ?

mms3

Danny,
I am curious if this is only of concern for drivers that handle the ~ 750hz range ?

For the N3, the plans say to use a 3/8" radius, so I'm assuming that would be sufficient here.  This is the best price on a round under bit that size that I've found: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Under-Roundover-Bit-1-2-Shank/C1662.  If anyone else finds a better deal, or a better option, please post it.

Danny Richie

Danny,

My advice is to not worry about it until you decide to line them with No Rez, upgrade the crossover, or something like that then round over the back side of the woofer holes at the same time.

In the LS-6 then the crossover is already starting to pull the output down a little by that range.

In the X-CS the difference will be more obvious.

mms3

I put in the order.  Moho Natural LS-6 enclosures are on the way.... :D

freerider

In addition to the No Rez, I also add a very loose fill of poly fill or fiberglass insolation in each woofer compartment from the back wall to the front flare of the port and to the side behind the tweeter box.

The tweeter box gets a densely packed layer of the poly fill or fiberglass insolation.

How much No Rez is required for a pair of LS6s?

Danny Richie

How much No Rez is required for a pair of LS6s?

You need at least 8 sheets.

Bizarroterl

It appears the deals on the LS6 cabinets are over.  There were complaints that no one at AV123 was responding to emails and calls just went to VM.  Now the forum and main site are down.   :oops:

mms3

Wow...I might have gotten lucky then.  I picked mine up from the Yellow service center on Monday.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Count your blessing. :)
Wow...I might have gotten lucky then.  I picked mine up from the Yellow service center on Monday.

mms3

The site is back up now....

BYOB

I got a pair about three weeks ago and one tweeter is bad. No response from AV123 (concerning) but thankfully Danny has the parts. Not sure if I will ever recover my $60 from AV123 but regardless the speakers are rockin.

kingdeezie

Glad to hear that you could source the parts BYOB.

Hopefully Danny keeps these in stock so all of us LS owners don't have to fret over losing drivers. If my LSes went out of commission, I wouldn't know where to even begin to look for a replacement speaker.

murphy11

If my LSes went out of commission, I wouldn't know where to even begin to look for a replacement speaker.
  ummmm.... GR Research? .... :)

tortoiseman2542

Well it's official now... AV123 is gone.  I wish I had picked up a pair of the LS6 cabinets in Moho before they went under.  I waited a little too long to decide apparently.  At least I didn't pay for them and then this happen I guess.  I wonder what they will do with the left over stock?

Robert

BYOB

Robert, sorry to rub salt in the wound but yea you should have picked up a pair. Good deal for me since my wood working skills are horrible and the speakers are simply amazing. The old line of rediscovering your old CD collection just came true for me! Thankfully Danny is still keeping the LS legend alive. They make me feel like a teenager again at an AC/DC concert.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Now that AV123 is closed are the pre-built cabinets available from you that they had?

Danny Richie

I have no enclosures available.

mcallister

Robert, sorry to rub salt in the wound but yea you should have picked up a pair. Good deal for me since my wood working skills are horrible and the speakers are simply amazing. The old line of rediscovering your old CD collection just came true for me! Thankfully Danny is still keeping the LS legend alive. They make me feel like a teenager again at an AC/DC concert.

Yes loving my Stereo/HT setup right now after upgrading the crossovers in my three LS and getting my N3S that Ron built (which are fantastic review coming soon).

Hoping that Danny will still release an LS4 kit?