Morrow Audio Interconnects.

TJHUB

Morrow Audio Interconnects.
« on: 8 Sep 2011, 11:30 pm »
This "review" or commentary is a little premature, but I no longer wanted to wait to post something.  The reason this is a bit premature is that I'm waiting on a new DAC, an Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus, and I'm without a DAC at the moment.  Actually I've been without a DAC now for over a month.  I've been using the analog outs of a Squeezebox Touch with the Soundcheck software mods and a cheap $20.00 Jerome linear power supply.  The reason I'm posting this a bit prematurely is that the sound I have is unbelievably great, and I'm crediting the Morrow Audio interconnects as a large part what's making the sound so great.

I've been working my way through various interconnects and landed on some that I think are really great.  They have bested anything I've tried to date, and I've installed them in some of my friend's setups only to have them realize what they've been missing.  I don't want to say what those are until I can make a final assessment and pick a clear winner, but I think I already know the winner.

A friend and I have been sharing our cable journeys for well over a year now.  This has mostly included interconnects (IC's), but speaker cables have been in there as well.  Some months back, he landed on Morrow Audio cables and stayed there.  Over these months, he's been describing the sound he has and I realized that he was describing what I wanted.  So I called Mike Morrow, and after a 15 minute conversation, I ordered 2 pairs of MA2 IC's.  The MA2's are on the lower end of Morrow's IC offerings, but with the 60 day trial period, I figured I'd give them a try.

I received the IC's about 3-1/2 weeks ago.  As soon as I installed them, I could tell they had some great qualities as well as some qualities I was looking for and didn't have.  But I could also hear that they didn't really sound very balanced.  Basically the overall sound wasn't right.  I knew going in that Morrow cables had to be broken in.  So I set out to finally hear a cable break in for the first time. 

It was about day 3 of running the cables 24/7 that I realized I couldn't listen to them any longer.  The treble was peaky sounding, and the overall sound really lacked weight.  It was almost awful to listen to, so I took my friend's advise and connected them to my DVR box that runs 24/7 anyway to break the cables in. There was no doubt in my mind that the cables were changing a lot, and certainly not for the better.

As the hours past, I pulled them off the DVR and put them into my setup for a listen.  I was using one pair between the Touch and preamp, and the other pair from my preamp to my monoblock amps.  Listening at between 100-300 hours showed the cables were changing, but still not listenable to remain in my setup.  What I mostly heard was the treble changing it's peaky sound, the midrange seemingly sounding muffled, and the overall weight just sounding anemic.

I pulled the Morrow's off my DVR box at about 312 hours for the last time (a Saturday morning).  My intention was to get the to about 400 hours in my setup and make my final judgments on them.  I listened to them at about 312 hours and found that the treble had really settled down, but I could still hear a sort of muffled midrange and the weight was still too light.  I was almost certain they were going back to Mike Morrow.

I listened the rest of that weekend and while liking some things, I was growing more and more certain they were going to get returned.  My friend wanted me to get them to at least 400 hours before giving up, so that was the plan.  I wanted them fully broken in for my new DAC's arrival, at which time I was going to make my final decision as to whether they'd beat my favorite IC's or not.

I flipped my system on that Monday after work, and the sound seemed to have changed tremendously.  I don't know if I'm nuts or not, but the change in sound was far from subtle.  The treble now had no peaky sound at all, the midrange was super clear, and the overall weight seemed just about perfect.  It was like I changed out the cables to something else. 

I'm going to state that I don't think the cables have changed at all since that Mondy night.  It's now a week and half later, and I'd still state they haven't changed since that night.  So I am now a firm believer that cables can break in, because I clearly just lived through it. 

So how do they sound?  Easily the best IC's I've ever heard, period.  I am shocked every day at what I hear with these Morrow IC's installed.  I may actually have the best sound I've ever had and my source is a the analog outs of a Touch!  I purchased a Touch when they first came out because I thought it sounded bad, and that was when it was feeding my favorite DAC to date, a modified Music Hall 25.2. 

The Morrow MA2's are so unbelievably clear sounding, I can't believe it.  This is the reason I liked my current favorite IC, and I didn't know it could get any better.  I believe it's this clarity that allows for a wide and deep sound stage with great separation.  Every instrument or vocalist is precisely placed in the sound stage and the micro detail that comes through truly makes the music come alive.  But the Morrow's take this to a whole new level.  With the Morrow's I get a great sense of space.  It's as if I can paint a very accurate mental image of the room or space the recording was made in.  I can't begin to explain what this does for the music.  I feel like I can hear every little detail, and that detail sounds very accurate and coherent.  The sound is very balanced with great extension in the treble and bass.  I've never heard better.

From my cable journey, it seems like the magic comes from cables that provide exceptional clarity, have great micro detail, sound very balanced (meaning the treble is not bright and the midrange and bass aren't bloated), and carry the proper weight and timbre.  The Morrow MA2's seem to have all of these qualities.  And all of this is coming from a source that I'd call very questionable.  It doesn't matter what I play either, these cables seem to be as forgiving as they are revealing and accurate.  I haven't come up with a single complaint for the last week and half. 

I cannot believe there is so little discussion about Morrow cables on AC.  I see some have them, but they never would have hit my radar screen if it wasn't for my friend.  I will be trying more cable from Morrow Audio and I intend to upgrade the IC's to the next levels to find out if there is even more I may be missing.  These IC's have really changed the sound of my setup to a level that I didn't realize I could have.  I'm very hopeful the addition of my new DAC only makes things better, but I don't honestly know what could be better at this point.  I can't wait to find out!

You can click on "systems" to see my gear.

Anybody else love Morrow Audio cables?
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2011, 04:04 pm by TJHUB »

Kinger

Re: Morrow Audio Interconnects.
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2011, 12:10 am »
Very nice write up sir!

TJHUB

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2011, 12:16 am »
Very nice write up sir!

You're too kind.  I was just trying to be honest and explain my thoughts. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2011, 12:33 am »
I'm starting to get cocky now and think I understand cables a little more.   :oops:

I've had Morrows on and off and I believe their design is similar to Q cable and others who employ multiple separately insulated wires and to me this eliminates the primary nasty and that is skin effect.  This layout begins to eliminate the slurring of sounds that regular stranded wire cannot.

Now kick up each wire in size and really lay them in there and you have an even better sounding cable.

Morrow is definitely onto something.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2011, 12:34 am »
I use Morrow Audio products and I am very happy with their performance.

Here is what is in my system:

Morrow Audio MA-6 xlr ic's between Bryston BDA-1/Atma-Sphere MP-1 and Atma-Sphere MP-1/Atma-Sphere MA-1's
Morrow Audio DIG4 AES/EBU digital cable between Bryston BDP-1 and Bryston BDA-1
Morrow Audio SP-4 Speaker Cables (two runs) between Atma-Sphere MA-1's/Vandersteen 5A's

George

ssglx

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2011, 12:35 am »
I do agree with you. The MA2 interconnects between my CDP and amp sound fantastic. I also have tried alot of interconnects and have several favorites. The midrange of the MA2's just sounds more real than any of the others. To be frank, I was already pretty happy and really didn't know what I was missing. The combination of great detail and the right amount of sparkle, coupled with a little bit laid back presentation, allows me to hear well into the soundstage and the arrangements.

In another system I am currently about 30 days into a trial of the Morrow SP2 speaker cables, running the high end of my vertically bi-amped Soliloquy speakers and I'm hearing the same characteristics.

TJHUB

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2011, 12:46 am »
Pete:  I would have guessed Morrow Audio has been through your setup, as it seems many, many things have.  :wink:  I just don't remember seeing you comment on them.

George:  You were one of the only members I saw that use Morrow cables, as I really envy your setup.  You are a lucky man to have that list of gear, especially with your new source setup.  :thumb:

I'm glad to see there are others that feel as I do.

dflee

« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2011, 01:30 am »
I also started with the MA2 with Eichman Silver Bullets and was well impressed. Wanted to go up, so I sold four pair of a known brand to finance it. Through Mike I ended up with the MA4 with the silver bullets and was blown away. I will eventually get a digital to compare with the D60 and got two pair of MA1 just to run full Morrows through the analog (dac to buffer 4, buffer to pre 2 and 1s running to four channel amp). When my wife's eyes situation finishes (running the price of a new car per year for the last 4 years), upgrading is one of the first things I will do. I am willing to let you borrow the MA4 if you would like for a test run some time if you would like. I am that confident in them.

Later
Don

TJHUB

« Reply #8 on: 9 Sep 2011, 02:21 am »
I also started with the MA2 with Eichman Silver Bullets and was well impressed. Wanted to go up, so I sold four pair of a known brand to finance it. Through Mike I ended up with the MA4 with the silver bullets and was blown away. I will eventually get a digital to compare with the D60 and got two pair of MA1 just to run full Morrows through the analog (dac to buffer 4, buffer to pre 2 and 1s running to four channel amp). When my wife's eyes situation finishes (running the price of a new car per year for the last 4 years), upgrading is one of the first things I will do. I am willing to let you borrow the MA4 if you would like for a test run some time if you would like. I am that confident in them.

Later
Don

Thanks for the generous offer.  I don't want to make any changes until my new DAC settles in, but I'm already scheming as to how I'm going to upgrade to the MA4's.  The friend I mention in my original post has just gone from the MA4's to the MA6's.  He said every upgrade has been pretty noticeable.  I believe him. 

ssglx

« Reply #9 on: 9 Sep 2011, 09:26 am »
My 2 cents, based on my experience; don't just assume that moving up the line is always an improvement in one's system. The MA2 (with copper bullets) was the best sounding and match in my system.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:00 pm »
The original MA1's have been in my system between my Int and Cdp for some years now.
Your review is spot on to what I lived through.
They just get out of the way and let the music flow.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:04 pm »
Thanks for the generous offer.  I don't want to make any changes until my new DAC settles in, but I'm already scheming as to how I'm going to upgrade to the MA4's.  The friend I mention in my original post has just gone from the MA4's to the MA6's.  He said every upgrade has been pretty noticeable.  I believe him.

I went from MA-4's to MA-6's and I thought there was enough of an improvement to justify the increased cost.

I was able to evaluate the cables side by side over a 30+ day window before making my decision. 

While I agree that spending more doesn't always mean better, in this case I felt that it was true.

George

TJHUB

« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:32 pm »
I went from MA-4's to MA-6's and I thought there was enough of an improvement to justify the increased cost.

I was able to evaluate the cables side by side over a 30+ day window before making my decision. 

While I agree that spending more doesn't always mean better, in this case I felt that it was true.

George

I'm looking forward to the day when I can swing the dollars to upgrade, but that's going to be a while.  That's the other great thing about Morrow's upgrade policies, get the new cables, compare, send your old ones back for full refund.  Does it get better than that?

George:  What would you say the differences are between the MA4's and 6's?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:47 pm »
I'm looking forward to the day when I can swing the dollars to upgrade, but that's going to be a while.  That's the other great thing about Morrow's upgrade policies, get the new cables, compare, send your old ones back for full refund.  Does it get better than that?

George:  What would you say the differences are between the MA4's and 6's?

I figured that question was going to be asked.

It was a long time ago that I did the comparison so off the top of my head I can't recall.  Let me look back through my e-mails and see if I can find something.

BTW, the cost difference was even less than normal because I was able to buy the MA-6's used.

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:53 pm »

I'm sure you've seen this but there are a bunch of used / demo cables here.  http://www.audiosold.com/demoused.htm

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:27 pm »
I have a pair of MA-3's between my DAC and Nightshade Audio Beacon III Preamp and another pair of MA-3's between my Beacon III and my Nightshade Audio NS-60 SE Tube Amp.  I also have the Morrow SP-3's bi-wired to my Selah Audio TRT's.

I don't think I will be changing any time soon. 8)

Randy 

TJHUB

« Reply #16 on: 10 Sep 2011, 05:05 pm »
I figured that question was going to be asked.

It was a long time ago that I did the comparison so off the top of my head I can't recall.  Let me look back through my e-mails and see if I can find something.

BTW, the cost difference was even less than normal because I was able to buy the MA-6's used.

George

I don't want this to be any work for you, so you don't have to dig up any old emails.  I've been told by my friend and Mike Morrow, that the higher up you go in the line basically just gives you "more"; more detail, more weight, more...  I was curious if you were going to say something similar. 

I do plan to buy used as well.  Anything to avoid the break-in period.  Yikes!

OgOgilby

« Reply #17 on: 12 Sep 2011, 02:54 pm »
I suppose I should jump in on this thread, since I am the "friend" TJHUB mentioned, but there isn't a lot to add due to his great write up and other posts.

I was fortunate to be in a position to do a series of lengthy A/B tests of a decent number of IC's. This was not a "blind" test, but it was a fairly extended test in a search to find the best IC's for my system. My DAC and Preamp have multiple outputs/inputs and they are controllable by remote so I could instantly switch back and forth while listening to a track. All of the IC's I tested were thoroughly broken in and to be honest, I was hoping that one of the really "cheap" IC's would win out.

Anyway, I was not planning to do a review, or promote any cable manufacturer and I don't have the time or the patience to get into a debate with the "flat earthers" who think all cables sound alike, etc. TJHUB was the only person I shared the entire process with. To make a long story short, the Morrow IC's came out on top.

I do think that Mike Morrow is really onto something with his cables, and like TJHUB, I am surprised there isn't more mention of his cables on AC. The Morrow Audio cable break in time needed is real and quite necessary. Fortunately Mike has a 60 day trial period for his new cables.

Are the Morrow Audio cables the best cables available? I don't know - there are way too many cable manufacturers to test them all and I did have a budget. I do know the Morrows were the best cables for my system - of the IC's that I tested.

-Greg

BTW, once I had settled on IC's, I did similar A/B testing with digital cables and found that the Morrow DIG4 came in a very close second to a much more expensive PAD digital cable. The Wywires digital cable came in a close third place. I could easily live with any of those three cables.

Update - I just ordered the new lower capacitance DIG4 balanced.

« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2011, 08:09 pm by OgOgilby »

tonyptony

« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2011, 02:20 am »
I'm reviving this thread because I've been curious about something. I've heard from my friend (who uses them) and from posting here and in other places about the huge amount of burn in time for Morrow cables. My question is, once burned in what happens if you use your system occasionally but not every day? Does this sort of cable "revert" if it's not kept in its "burned in state"?

TJHUB

« Reply #19 on: 8 Oct 2011, 02:51 am »
I'm reviving this thread because I've been curious about something. I've heard from my friend (who uses them) and from posting here and in other places about the huge amount of burn in time for Morrow cables. My question is, once burned in what happens if you use your system occasionally but not every day? Does this sort of cable "revert" if it's not kept in its "burned in state"?

Since the final day the cables snapped into place, I have not detected any further changes.  I've had my system powered off many times and I've swapped the cables to other sources with noticing any changes.  It seems once they've settled in, they are done. 

I've done so much critical listening as of late, I'm sure nothing would get past me. 

I also ordered Morrow SP4 bi-wire speaker cables.  I can't wait to get them.  They need to be built and they are getting 5 days on the cable cooker.