cables were in place, I took a few days to just listen.  Then I picked
up the phone.  I had to call Robert to ask one simple question about
his cable set.  If you have ever talked to Robert on the phone you know
it can become quite a long conversation so I purposely tried to keep it
brief.  "Does it get any better?, I asked.  I mean can the Poiema
cables be any better than what I'm hearing right now with the MSE?"  
The answer was "Well. yes and no.  They are more of the same only
better". Another 20 minutes later I hung up determined to get back to
listening and find where I thought the MSE cables could improve.  

In my system the Ridge Streets brought a new level of resolution but
without ever sounding aggressive or hot.  In fact, this increase in
detail was accompanied amazingly by a more relaxed nature to the
music. What I mean by relaxed is the music made me feel like I was
slumping in my seat instead of sitting on the very front edge.  Just that
nice mellow feeling that can be hard to find from digital reproduction. But
these cables also excelled at dynamics.  Piano notes jumped from the
speakers and horns had real bite.  Bass had very good extension and
bass resolution was the best I have ever heard IMS. From top to bottom
the MSE cables were very well balanced and presented an exceptionally
coherant soundstage.  

But during the 2 week audition the Ridge Street cables were not without
competition.  My current cables are Stereovox HDXV, Bolder Cryo'd
Bybeed Silver Bullet Nitros and Zu Cable Ibis.  Excellent cables all.  What
I found is that while the Ridge Street cables sounded more open and had
a little more detail than my current cables, with ss amps they left me a
tad dry.  I missed that bit of body that my current cables provide.  But
then my bias is on the warm side.  Individually, each cable would have to
be assessed for how it worked in your system, but as a group the MSEs
work very well together.  

Towards the end of the audition period I replaced my ss amps with my
tube amp.  After reacquainting the ears with my cables in this combo I
swapped in the RSAs.  What I heard has haunted me ever since.  Simply
the best sound I have ever heard from my system.  My one reservation
about the MSE cables was gone, obliterated really.  Now I had it all,
resolution, dynamics, soundstage and palpability all in a package that
was presented without edge, grain or glare.  For me, the combination of
the tube amp the Ridge Street MSE cables worked magic.  

I highly recommend giving the Ridge Street Audio cables a try in your system.

My System

Andy

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Review: Ridge Street MSE cables
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2004, 05:08 am »
Nice review Andy !! RSA has a good cable on its hands ! I'm expecting my order from them next week - can't wait.......question.....were you dance'in ? :lol:  :dance:

BikeWNC

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2004, 05:12 am »
No! I didn't get the chance.  I had to try to keep my 3 yo daughter from dancing into my system.  I use her as a boogie barometer.  When she gets going I know the system's sounding good!

Andy

Lak

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2004, 01:11 pm »
Andy,
Nice review.  I agree with your thoughts.  It will be very interesting to hear how the Poiema compares to the MSE Gen. II.  I look forward to that audition.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2004, 01:40 pm »
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but another very good ic/cable is the Argent Audio Jaden Signature and Pursang.

I currently own both Argent Audio models and I did a comparison between the Jaden Signature (the less costly model) and the MSE II.  

In my system I preferred the Jaden Signature.  It was better balanced, more natural sounding and had a little more detail.  I also thought that the MSE II was a little grainy or unrefined in direct comparisons.

Before anybody thinks otherwise, the MSE II is an excellent product and worthy of all of the praise people here have given it.  I just feel that I have found something that is a little better at pretty much the same price point (1M $640 for IC and 6' cable is $825).

After I did my comaprison I informed Robert and he was an absolute gentleman.  We both agreed in hindsight that I probably should have tried the Poiema.  I hope to do that one day in the future.

Like Robert, Ric at Argent Audio offers an audition period and is great to deal with.  Highly encourage people to try both products.  I am sure that you can't go wrong either way.

Lastly, here is a link to my review of the Jaden Signatures I posted int he Critics Circle:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=5596

Again, sorry for jumping in Robert.

GW

audiojerry

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2004, 02:53 pm »
Ridge Streets brought a new level of resolution but
without ever sounding aggressive or hot. In fact, this increase in
detail was accompanied amazingly by a more relaxed nature to the
music. What I mean by relaxed is the music made me feel like I was
slumping in my seat instead of sitting on the very front edge. Just that
nice mellow feeling that can be hard to find from digital reproduction. But
these cables also excelled at dynamics. Piano notes jumped from the
speakers and horns had real bite. Bass had very good extension and
bass resolution was the best I have ever heard IMS. From top to bottom
the MSE cables were very well balanced and presented an exceptionally
coherant soundstage.

You nailed my experience with the MSE exactly! Robert has promised to ship my order next week - he was whining about having the flu  :bawl:
....just teasing you, Robert.

MSE grainy and unrefined? Wow, since I've already committed to Ridge Street, can anyone else substantiate this? No offense, Zybar
PS Zybar: that is a sensational looking listening room, but your speakers are listed as RM40? The picture doesn't look like RM40.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2004, 03:00 pm »
AudioJerry,

Please rember this is by direct comparison - not in absolute terms.

I did enjoy the MSE II, just like I enjoyed the Empirical Audio and Acoustic Zen ic's.

Argent doesn't really have any type of following here.

You can read a lot more about these ic's/cable over on Audio Asylum.

Eric (of RM/X fame) was convinced enough by me to try the Argent Audio Pursang in his very high-end system.

Since you have never heard my system or met me, my words are just blah, blah, blah...

The best thing to do is audition the Argent Audio products and make the decision for yourself.

In fact, I will talk with Ric and encourage him to put together an audition pack like others have done.

GW

MttBsh

MSE Generation II ICs
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2004, 03:57 pm »
I'd like to add my voice to the praise for Robert's cables.

I ordered a pair of MSE Gen IIs and inserted them between my preamp and amp a couple of weeks ago. At first the ICs were "very good", and, figuring they had already been burned in at the shop, I was happy with the improvement they made. But after a few days in my system, they opened up and it was as if the genie had been released from the bottle. Total transformation! I won't go into the details, as other reviewers have already qualified the types of improvements these cables make, but three words really stand out: resolution, soundstage, dynamics - all improved more than I thought possible from a pair of  ICs alone, and the sonics are delivered with an effortless sense of ease. Very, very nice.

I was so impressed by the MSEs in fact that I just ordered another pair yesterday to replace the Pure Silver Sound Quartets that currently connect my DAC to my preamp. I like the PSS cables a lot, but I think now they're just holding back the downstream MSEs.  I'll post my findings.

I also wanted to mention that Robert is an easy guy to deal with, offers exceptional service, and that is just frosting on the cake.

Matt

Mad DOg

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2004, 04:22 pm »
nice review, Andy!

thanks to Robert Schult's generous offer to extend me an audition, i just received the RSA audition package yesterday!!!

THANK YOU, ROBERT!

so far i've only had a chance to listen to the MSE GenII digital cable on a few tracks...

this was my initial reaction...:o  :o  :o ... :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb: ... :dance:  :dance:  :dance: ... yeah, based on my initial impressions, this cable is REALLY something VERY SPECIAL!!! gotta take off for CES now so i won't be able to do anymore listening until Sunday... more to follow for sure...

audiojerry

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2004, 04:42 pm »
Matt and Andy,
Would you believe the speaker cables can make an even bigger difference? :o

Mad DOg

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2004, 04:54 pm »
i just HAD to throw in the ICs before taking off this morning...i was running a Zu Varial from my DAC to the preamp and an Onix Blue from the preamp to amp...as good as the Zu Varial is, the RSA MSE IC just SMOKES it in my system in my room and my listening preference...the Onix Blue swap did not result in such a big improvement as the Varial but there was still a difference...so warm, so detailed, so MUSICAL!!! WAY MUSICAL!!! OMG MUSICAL!!! just brings out ALL the emotion...THIS is audio nirvana complete with an out of body experience...

based on audiojer's last post, i can't wait to try out speaker cables!

BikeWNC

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2004, 05:58 pm »
Audiojerry wrote:
Would you believe the speaker cables can make an even bigger difference?

Jerry, the audition pack included speaker cables as well as 3 sets of ICs, 2 RCS and 1 XLR, and a digital cable.  I guess I should have mentioned that in the above post.  If I had to choose an individual favorite from the set it would have to be the speaker cable.  I could have added them to my existing cables and been very happy.  I found that individually, the digital and ICs when added to my system did not mesh as well.   So system synergy still applies as always.  Together though, the MSE II cables are very complimentry of each other and IMS, are excellent as a  group.

Andy

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jan 2004, 07:34 pm »
Hi Tsunami and the rest of you great AC folk.

Andy, regardless of content, your review was very nicely done. It seemed I was led to believe you weren’t as adept as you would like to write your impressions having the MSE Gen.II cabling in your system. So, when I saw your post I thought,  "Wait, this guy's good!" So, thank you again Andy. And, once again, I'm flatted! BTW, sorry to have kept you on the phone so long! It's just that I haven't seen anybody or been out for a long, long time. I have no friends so when I get to talk to some body on the phone, I just don’t want to hang up. We really don’t even need to talk…just stay on the phone with me for a couple hours!
Anyway....

The only thing I would suggest about your experience with solid state is that these cables need at least 300 watts....Wait! Wrong thread....but I am Bob....I do live in LaPorte....I'm confused!
....The MSE Gen.II cables and Poiema! cables are very instructive. They are very capable of revealing other components more so than they are of them selves. To be clear also, they don't favor Tube gear over SS, they simply favor what's given says I. I could go on here but I already have more to say than many of you might care to read and I've already discussed this with many of our clients individually. Call me if you would like to know more. I'm dyin' to talk to somebody for a couple o' hours!

George (I hope you don’t mind me using your name, it makes me feel like I have a friend), No need to apologize. I don't feel like you’re "Hi-jacking" anything here. I appreciate your comments. Your findings with your comparisons have only driven me to find what I might do better than what we're already doing regardless of impressions and I appreciate your impetus. So others know, after reading Georges review of the Argent offerings, which again was very nicely done, I approached George and asked if he would like to audition the MSE Gen.II cabling. He said yes and I went to work. Likewise, George is an admirable man to work with. He too is willing to go through all the paces required to get the most out of equipment he owns or is simply auditioning. Frankly, I was quite puzzled by the impressions he related to me. I still don’t understand what happened but sometimes I suppose it simply is what it is. As I related to George, as much as I would like, our products are not be all to end all....maybe!:duel:  I have good regard for Georges gear so I didn't find that suspect. I know this, our cables continually shine in well-assembled, but more modest systems as well as well-assembled but more ambitious systems so, go figure! I'll also mention this and hope it's appropriate. Our offerings have found a home considerably more often than not when compared to the Jade Sig's or Pursangs. One last note is that, while I don’t like to make our products about price whether considered inexpensive or expensive, there seems to be a misunderstanding about the price comparisons between Ridge Street and Argent products. The pricing you used George is our MSRP pricing which isn't what I gave you and isn't what I have ever charged anyone buying direct. Our website posts MRSP but is clear in stating that direct pricing is available until or if we develop a dealer network. Anyway George, I do look forward to working with you again. You have earned my respect and I hope I have earned yours.

Well, I think that's what I have to share for now. If anybody wants to call, please, PLEASE do! I’m just sitting here drooling and staring at the phone! :o

Cheers to all  :beer:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2004, 07:57 pm »
Robert,

Your e-mail is exactly why I recommend your product as well as a few others out there.  I wish more manufacturers had your customer service and genuine care for the consumer.

Sorry about the pricing. :oops:

You are absolutely correct about not charging me the list price.  As you and other manufacturers offer varying discounts, I thought it was fair to talk list price.  In no way was I trying incorrectly represent your pricing or the obvious value of your products.

Keep up the good work.

George

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2004, 08:11 pm »
George, Na! I didn't feel any malicious intent on your part. Just a simple perception I wanted to address.

You're the best!... :beer:

BikeWNC

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2004, 08:11 pm »
The MSE Gen.II cables and Poiema! cables are very instructive. They are very capable of revealing other components more so than they are of them selves. To be clear also, they don't favor Tube gear over SS, they simply favor what's given says I.

Robert, I agree.  But remember my bias.  What seems a bit dry to me may be sticky sweet to someone else.  Though probably not quite to that extreme.  That's why it is important to audition any product for yourself.  Thanks again for the audition.

Andy

vpolineni

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jan 2004, 08:29 pm »
i'm not much of a reviewer... i don't even post messages that often though I visit this site daily... but I do want to say that my purchase of ridge street audio's Poimea! cables have been the best, if not one of the best purchases for my system.  When I first got started in this hobby a little over a year ago, I would have laughed at the thought of paying a thousand dollars for cables but once I realized a good system is more than just good speakers, I took the plunge and purchased them after reading a review and understanding that in high-end audio, talented designers who run small companies can really deliver top-notch products.  I have no regrets purchasing my poiema! cables  :mrgreen: .   They have taken my system (along with room treatments) to a whole new level, one that I am content with and do not feel the need to change for awhile.  The only other cables I was looking at were argent audio pursang cables but the price dissuaded me from thinking about them.  Ric quoted me 2500 dollars for the interconnects and speaker cables and I was not about to pay more for my cables than I did my speakers.  Anyways, robert's cables are exceptional and I think what's even better than the cables is the level of customer service provided.  Thanks again robert and best of luck to you.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2004, 05:26 am »
Quote from: Mad DOg

this was my initial reaction...:o  :o  :o ... :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb: ... :dance:  :dance:  :dance: ... yeah, based on my initial impressions, this cable is REALLY something VERY SPECIAL!!!
Uh-Oh ! Quick , call the doctor ! Looks like another case of Dance Fever !!!  :lol: