Kaplan Cables prototype speaker cables

mgalusha

Kaplan Cables prototype speaker cables
« on: 10 Sep 2009, 10:28 am »
I've spent the last 10 days or so listening to a prototype pair of speaker cables currently under development by Paul Kaplan of Kaplan Cables. I don't know if these are an accurate reflection of the final design as Paul mentioned he still had additional research to do but I believe they are very representative of his new design.

Being the DIY type and generally budget minded I don't tend to spend a lot on cables though I do have quite a few of the Kaplan power cords. My normal speaker cables are Analysis Plus Oval 9. I've been using these for the last few years and have been quite happy with them in most regards. I have had a few opportunities to compare the Analysis Plus to some other high end cables and ended up liking the Analysis Plus better overall. I've compared them to the Audience AU24, some Stereovox (model unknown) and one of the lower cost offerings from Synergistic Research. None of those cables created any desire to replace the AP cables.

Then Paul hooked me up with this prototype... The short version is the AP cables won't be going back in the system. The new, as yet unarmed, Kaplan speaker cable is just 'mo betta. :) Lame I know, but it's better in pretty much every area. I am experiencing a larger and more open sound stage but when called for very precise imaging. Improved low level detail I'm sure has a lot to do with this, as the ambient cues are not masked as much. The high frequencies seem to have opened up but not at the expense of becoming bright. The presentation is just more extended. The mid-range is also more fully fleshed out, voices have more body, instruments have more wood and even a sax has a fuller tone. Love it. As for the bass, I can say that what I was hearing was excellent. Ray Browns' playing on Bam Bam Bam had me totally grooving.

My listening with this has been with a McIntosh MC275 running full balanced via a Lundahl transformer. Preamp is my DIY CCS loaded 6SN7 gain stage with a high current direct coupled cathode follower on the output. Source has been an ioBox feeding a modded KECES DAC (which really came alive with some tweaking). Speakers have been my Gedlee Abbeys and the Meadowlark Blue Heron 2's. Both have never sounded so good.

I don't know when Paul will have a final version ready or what it will cost. I'm hoping when the time comes I can find a way to get a set as these are very special indeed, at least in my setup. Assuming he can pry the prototypes out of my hands.  :lol:

mike

arthurs

Re: Kaplan Cables prototype speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2009, 12:17 pm »
Great update Mike, thanks!   :thumb:

I'm hoping to hear these from Paul as well, now my curiosity is piqued!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2009, 02:27 pm »
Okay I want one.

Kaplan speaker cables: Check.

Kaplan Power Cords: Check.

Thanks for the review Mike. I of course take it very seriously given your speakers!

Anand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2009, 02:52 pm »
Multi-strand?

Braided?

Config?

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2009, 03:31 pm »
Pete,

What I do know of the construction I can't share, that was part of the deal for getting to play with the prototypes. I can say this, they are large and heavy and could be used as a weapon. :)

I did snap some photos, I'll see if Paul is OK with me posting one.

As for config, mine are single wired as that is how the Abbeys are built. This is also my preference most of the time, I'd rather have one good set than two not quite as good runs.

Mike

Multi-strand?

Braided?

Config?

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2009, 03:33 pm »
I'm very interested in knowing how they work in your system with the LS-9's and the VAC amps.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2009, 04:03 pm »
not looking for secrets, just the general topology as it confirms or invalidates what I have come to learn about SC's.

arthurs

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2009, 04:09 pm »
That makes both of us Mike!  :green:

I'm very interested in knowing how they work in your system with the LS-9's and the VAC amps.

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2009, 05:57 pm »
I understand and I'd be just as curious but I can't say anything more. Paul may have something to say and I let him know I posted this, so hopefully he will chime in.

not looking for secrets, just the general topology as it confirms or invalidates what I have come to learn about SC's.

nature boy

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2009, 06:18 pm »
Mike,

Thanks for sharing your listening observations.  The Kaplan cords sound really nice in my system.  Paul really puts a lot of effort into testing/listening and I'm sure his speaker cables will be a big hit :D

NB

Occam

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2009, 08:06 pm »
Mike,

Thank you for sharing your observations. I'm quite pleased, and relieved.
Yes, feel free to post pics of the jacketed speaker cable.

I'm still trying to settle on a model name, initially favoring the Kaplan Cables GS Speaker Cables. I've yet to come up with a 'public' explanation of that 'GS' designator, but to me it will always mean 'gobsmacked'. As to how others will react, that will unfold as beta evaluations take place.

Beta testers with single or bi-wired speakers, midwoofer/tweeter will be supplied a single run. Although its terminated like a typical internally bi-wired cable, it is a single wire cable, with hardwired jumpers at the speaker ends. Although the copper would allow a split for bi-wiring, its net 7ga works best single wired, with jumpers as needed.

For those with (at least) bi-wireable speakers with woofer/mid/tweeter configurations (and no need for a subwoofer), Kaplan Cables Woofer runs will also be provided along with the GS speaker cables.

As to what makes the speaker cables do what they do so well...
Its the proprietary topology, that along with the outstanding copper and insulation. I've tried the most esoteric of OCC coppers, and for my use, I find my stranded, soft annealed copper far preferable. The cables are extremely well damped, and the cable's jacket is the same material as the wire's insulation. The insulation is not Teflon, or any other fluropolymer, but it certainly strips like it. :evil:

Again, many thanks,
Paul

Scottdazzle

« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2009, 08:29 pm »
Paul,

If you're looking for beta testers I'm willing.  I tend to be largely agnostic about cables because I have never yet heard the kinds of differences between cables that I do between components.  I am open-minded though.

I am biamping VMPS RM30M speakers.  Music Reference RM200 for the mids & tweets and Rotel 1080 for the woofers.  Front end is a VPI Classic w/Zyx Airy 3 LOMC and Modwright Sony 9100ES running into Modwright SWLP 9.0SE preamp.  Most of the music I love is acoustic (e.g. Mingus, Monk, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, bluegrass) with some rock, pop, and country mixed in (e.g. Beatles, Richard Thompson, Lucinda Williams).  Let me know if I can help.

Scott

mgalusha

« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2009, 08:45 pm »
A few pics. I think they look pretty nice considering they are prototypes. They are heavy and thick, as you would expect since Paul mentioned they net a 7ga run.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2009, 09:31 pm »
Paul,

If you need another Beta Tester. I'm ready to go. My list of equipment is included in my posts. PM if you would let me audition your cables. I will definitely compare them to the Reality Speaker cables I have. My interconnects are KCI Mandarinas (Balanced), VH Audio Pulsar for digital, and my power cords are VH Audio Flavor 4 and Flavor 2's for the most part (till I replace them with Kaplans).

Anand.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2009, 09:57 pm »
I'd also be interested in beta testing.  Since I'm actively tri-amping, I've go no passive crossover components between the amp and the drivers, which should theoretically allow any differences through very clearly.

mjosef

« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2009, 12:19 am »
I have also been running the Beta 1b version of this SC. I first installed it on the bass amp(I bi-amp my VMPS RM1) I remember my initial impression as I first hit play...man,  the bass notes sounded so juicy and had like another dimension to the soundstage.
One thing I noticed now that I have another pair on the mid/hi amp is that the overall volume seems louder, I now have my volume pot about two clicks down from where I normally listen at. Very weird.
I am still exploring the qualities these SC bring to my system sound. All I would say for now is that its very berry good.   :P

Charles Calkins

« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2009, 12:52 am »
mgalusha:

Great looking cables and I'm sure they perform as great as they look. But darn it!! If I were to take the plunge and order these cables I'd need 50feet of bulk cable for two speakers. I'm sure these are not cheap cables. Old saying "You get what you pay for".

Cheers
                                  Charlie

mgalusha

« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2009, 01:32 am »
Charlie, I don't have any idea what the cost will be. Paul has not mentioned price yet, at least not to me. At my old place I was in the same boat, I needed nearly 50ft to get to the right channel speaker.

mgalusha

« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2009, 01:37 am »
I like the very berry good, nicely put. :)

Another thing I noticed is I seem to be playing things a little louder. Not intentionally but I have noticed it. Perhaps less fatiguing than the prior config.

I have also been running the Beta 1b version of this SC. I first installed it on the bass amp(I bi-amp my VMPS RM1) I remember my initial impression as I first hit play...man,  the bass notes sounded so juicy and had like another dimension to the soundstage.
One thing I noticed now that I have another pair on the mid/hi amp is that the overall volume seems louder, I now have my volume pot about two clicks down from where I normally listen at. Very weird.
I am still exploring the qualities these SC bring to my system sound. All I would say for now is that its very berry good.   :P

markC

« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2009, 01:51 am »
Do you guy realize that the more your polish your prose, the more the final price will be?
Just kidding. Early congrats Paul on what appears to be another winner!
Mike has been around for a while and I don't believe he would post B.S.
(Not to imply that your getting old or anything Mike) :icon_lol: