Kaplan Cables H.E. Power Cord

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Kaplan Cables H.E. Power Cord
« Reply #40 on: 25 Aug 2009, 10:35 pm »
I just bought 2 of Paul's 15A (Rhodium) conditioner cables.  Love them!!  I use them at my sources (pre and DAC) but since they are 15A I have the flexibility to later try them on the amps (Spectron monos).  They took about a week to fully break in (not bad) and to my ears have the slight organic "you are there" air and wetness I love in the Cardas non-ferrite GR cables yet the dynamics and black background that I heard (or more appropriately didn't hear) when George brought his over to demo a few weeks ago.  Very nice Paul.  :thumb:

XLR interconnects?  :D

Occam

« Reply #41 on: 26 Aug 2009, 02:32 am »
Interesting...any overview info you can share with us about the SC's Paul?  Without spilling too many of the beans that is....

They're quite beefy, covered with the (rather nice IMO) black cloth sleeving I use on my powercords. 1/2" x 1"/side, but very flexible.
Standard configuration will be for bi-wired speakers with a choice of bfa(Z plugs) and/or spades. On request, they can be configured for single, or tri-wired speakers. Thats about all I'm going to say on a technical side, as to try and explain what I think is going on, would require what I refer to as unsubstantatied technical speculation / twaddle ... (others might call it a Technical Whitepaper) :o.
I'm currently listening to a single run on each channel replacing my Black Orpheus tri-wire harness between my AKSA Soraya and Alon IVs, and subjectively I'd say -

Its got a great beat, and you can dance to it.
Images like a sum'bitch.
Meaty beaty, big and bouncy.
Provides a cavernous, accurate soundstage (when its on the recording).
Tonally extended, dynamic, resolving.... I do go on.  :roll:
and these characteristics hold up at low listening volumes. My system has never sounded so good [My wife agrees, and that from 2 rooms away  :lol:].

I've one pair out on test now, and perhaps he might post.
Next week I hope to hear them on Hansen Princes, driven by Wavestream V8s.

I'll start a thread in the Industry section asking for beta testers.

FWIW,
Paul

Occam

« Reply #42 on: 26 Aug 2009, 02:40 am »
Ted,

Many thanks for the comments.

XLR interconnects? 
Not anytime soon. It took over a year to develop my powercords. Same for the speaker cables, and I assume it will be similar for interconnects, if I'm lucky. I've some initial designs, but right now, I've nothing that I consider special and pushing the price performance envelope. Until I can do so, I'll not be offering interconnects.

Regards,
Paul

WG

« Reply #43 on: 26 Aug 2009, 05:09 am »
Ted,

I have the Rhodium 15 amp Kaplan's on my Spectrons--each running stereo on my AA Beethoven's.  I do not have experience with other post market cords, but these made a significant difference with my Spectron's.

I am also a big fan of Paul's HE Extension box with filtering.  I have the copper version of it.  I have the Elpac power supply for the crossover/equalizer for the mains connected to it (wonderful and immediate results), the MusicVault II server, another Kaplan unfiltered copper from my Cary SLP-05, and another Kaplan unfiltered rhodium from MW Transporter.  The results exceeded my expectations.

Regards,
Will

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #44 on: 26 Aug 2009, 05:38 am »
Occam....
But the beta version of my new speaker cables are almost ready...

...... 8)

I'll start a thread in the Industry section asking for beta testers....

.............. :thumb:

Glad your keeping busy Paul.... :beer:

owenmd

« Reply #45 on: 3 Sep 2009, 10:47 pm »
I have five Kaplan rhodium HE's in my system now and have been "extremely" pleased with them  :thumb:  I tried the copper terminated cord, but it was a touch dull at the top end in my system.... but I could see how it would be great in a slightly brighter system and it certainly has a beautifully rich mid-range.

I find the rhodiums to be extremely transparent.... indeed, exceptional for their cost, with a delightfully "airy" and extended HF extension.... female singers really "shout out" now in a very good, lively and dynamic way.  Bass is defined, tight and natural.

I believe my favorite property of the Kaplans is soundstaging delinearity, where it places everything where it should be and nothing happens before its appropriate.... unlike some other cords that seem to get confused, muddled and throw everything at you inappropriately.

Anyways.... I like em   aa

chadh

« Reply #46 on: 21 Oct 2009, 05:18 am »

Some good news:  it seems new Kaplan GS Power Cords are available through Tweekgeek.

Some bad news:  the new Kaplan GS Power Cords start at $1995 for a 5' length.  The matching GS series speaker cables start at $1795 for a 6' pair.

Some potentially good news:  Tweekgeek seems to be offering a trade-in deal on the GS series power cords.  So when all our rich friends trade their HE cords for GS cords, maybe there will be a flood of low priced HE cords released onto the Audio Circle marketplace.

Some undeniably good news: Occam really seems to have hit the big time, commanding big-time prices!  Congratulations.

Chad

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #47 on: 21 Oct 2009, 11:28 am »
The GS is a significant step up, at least in my system.  I did the tradeup thing for all of mine prior to using them at RMAF.  If you liked the HE, you'll love the GS.

Bryan

Occam

« Reply #48 on: 21 Oct 2009, 07:59 pm »
Chad,

Apologies for the erroneous pricing on the Tweekgeek.com site If you look at the KaplanCable general page, you'll see the introductory pricing of the GS power cords is $1,495 for a 6' cord.
http://www.tweekgeek.com/mfg_dept.aspx?mfg_id=1230583540
Unfortuneately, the specific info din't carry through to the order page where it still lists the full pricing of $2,195 for a 6' cord. I'll get Mike to fix it.

We've tried to soften the blow somewhat. As we no longer have the intro pricing of the original H.E. cords and have set them to the full retail of $479 for a 6', we offer a 137% trade in credit applied to an upgrade to the GS (Gobsmacked), If you purchased a 6' H.E. cord for the introductory price of $349, you are credited with the full retail price of $479 towards the GS power cord.

I can only suggest to anyone that they compare the new GS cables, both power cord and speaker cable to other cables at similar and far higher prices and to draw their own conclusions.

Many thanks,
Paul
KaplanCable

WG

« Reply #49 on: 21 Oct 2009, 08:12 pm »
Paul,

There's little detail info nor pictures on these on Tweekgeek.  Could you share a bit more here on what is different on these?  Filtering?

Thanks,
Will

Occam

« Reply #50 on: 22 Oct 2009, 03:09 am »
Will,

The bad news is that while the H.E. cords are very flexible and easy to route, the new GS cords are inflexible and a right pain in the arse to route., still very flexible, especially considering their size and bulk. I've added an actual twist to their implementation that doesn't change the geometric and electromagnetic relationships between the wires, preserving their performance.

I don't particularly like telling others what they'll hear, and would prefer letting others to make their own evaluations. But here goes anywhay -

The GS cords simply allow you to hear deeper into the  recording. It extends farther at both ends of the spectrum, but the bass isn't bloated, and the treble is free of  grit and doesn't make you wish to cover your ears to prevent that icepick from being driven into you eardrums.

And the midrange is CLEAR, Spooky, actually. I'm about to lapse into that annoying hyperbole of 'you hear things you hadn't realized were on the recording'. And iff'n its in the recording, the soundstaging  is cavernous. If not, it simply reflects the natural venue, or the engineers machinations. The imaging is IMO, spot on, not as holgraphic as some, but for me, more realistic.

The diffferences between the copper and rhodium terminations are still there; the rhodium being clearer and the copper warmer. In my system, I prefer a single rhodium cord on my power amp, and copper on everything else, just like I do with the H.E. cords. Others will prefer more rhodiums, depending on the voicing of their systems and their subjective metrics.

Apologies for the very subjective nature of my comments, and obviously, I'm clearly not a dispassionate reviewer.

Perhaps others who've used both the H.E.and GS cords, Mike Galusha, Bryan Pape and/or Martin Joseph might chime in.

Regards,
Paul
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2010, 08:24 pm by Occam »

mjosef

« Reply #51 on: 22 Oct 2009, 05:01 am »
The GS betters the HE in all areas across the spectrum. More refined, better details, deeper and wider soundstage, better tonality(more accurate), deeper/tighter bass, more fluidity, ...etc, etc.  :roll:
Combined with the GS speaker cable, another dimension opens up and you(me) feel like I am inside the music, like a kid running along the corridors between the notes.  :drool:
 :lol:

Above impressions are solely those of this poster.
Results may vary, others may not have the same experience...side effects include nausea, morning depression, some ringing in the left ear and diarrhoea.  Consult your spouse before committing.

The Heptones, crystal blue persuasion

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #52 on: 22 Oct 2009, 10:37 am »
Will,

The bad news is that while the H.E. cords are very flexible and easy to route, the new GS cords are inflexible and a right pain in the arse to route. Others have told me that that not particularly worse than the typical audiophile 'big mutha' cords. I've encountered cords that are far worse, but personally, I miss the fleibility of the H.E. cords.

I don't particularly like telling others what they'll hear, and would prefer letting others to make their own evaluations. But here goes anywhay -

The GS cords simply allow you to hear deeper into the  recording. It extends farther at both ends of the spectrum, but the bass isn't bloated, and the treble is free of  grit and doesn't make you wish to cover your ears to prevent that icepick from being driven into you eardrums.

And the midrange is CLEAR, Spooky, actually. I'm about to lapse into that annoying hyperbole of 'you hear things you hadn't realized were on the recording'. And iff'n its in the recording, the soundstaging  is cavernous. If not, it simply reflects the natural venue, or the engineers machinations. The imaging is IMO, spot on, not as holgraphic as some, but for me, more realistic.

The diffferences between the copper and rhodium terminations are still there; the rhodium being clearer and the copper warmer. In my system, I prefer a single rhodium cord on my power amp, and copper on everything else, just like I do with the H.E. cords. Others will prefer more rhodiums, depending on the voicing of their systems and their subjective metrics.

Apologies for the very subjective nature of my comments, and obviously, I'm clearly not a dispassionate reviewer.

Perhaps others who've used both the H.E.and GS cords, Mike Galusha, Bryan Pape and/or Martin Joseph might chime in.

Regards,
Paul

Well...I'm just glad I picked up the H.E. cords at the price I did. They are really quite excellent, and bested a VH Audio Flavor 4. The new stuff, well...I can only read about at this point  :oops:.

Anand.

nature boy

« Reply #53 on: 28 Jan 2010, 07:19 pm »
Woodsyi,

Thanks for fixing my original post.  I have been trying my best to make my original review re-materialize with help from both you and Paul, unfortunately to no avail.

My review stands as posted and someone will have to pry these cables from my "dead cold hands" before I take them out of my system.  The only power cords I could think of for replacement/upgrade would be Kaplan GS Power Cables  :eyebrows:

Thanks again Woodsyi for help to resolve this technical dilemna.

NB

nautilus983

« Reply #54 on: 27 Feb 2010, 08:34 pm »
Hello,

how does the Kaplan HE compare to the VH Audio Flavor 4 (or the lessloss, if anyone has heard both of them) in terms of dynamics?

I read Markl's review of 22 different power cords and was left really liking the Violet by how he described them, but liking the Virtual Dynamics Nite II and Bohica even more. Alas, both of them are not in production anymore and they're very hard to find used.

The VH Flavor 4 is superior to the Violet, according to this post: http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=cables&n=123439&highlight=Bob+Mc

Here is Markl's shootout: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/its-done-power-cord-shoot-out-22-power-cords-reviewed-219202/

Notice how he described the Nite II (especially his emphasis on solidity), but also the Bohica, with its lack of "diggititis". I'm searching for a power cord that goes beyond the Nite II and Bohica, but that costs less than 600 dollars.

I'm currently stuck between the Lessloss, Vh Audio Flavor 4, and the Kaplan (although comparisons are harder to find for this).

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #55 on: 27 Feb 2010, 09:24 pm »
Nautilus,

Having now lived with both the VH Audio Flavor 4 and Kaplan H.E. I have made some comparisons. Bear in mind, I have one of the most dynamic loudspeakers out there, the GedLee Abbey. High efficiency and able to play in excess of 115dB SPL easily.

Between the Kaplan H.E. and VH Audio Flavor 4 there is no contest. The Kaplan H.E. is a superior cable. Smoother, and more detailed, with more macrodynamics than I need! Slowly I am supplanting my power cables with Kaplan.

I really didn't think cables made a difference. Well, I'll still say they make little difference compared to speakers and the room, with one exception, Kaplan. I use the Kaplan H.E. on my main amp, a gainclone and my RAKK dac which is a DA converter. My system does not contain a preamp. I get all the details! If the recording is good, the result is a truly sublime performance with 110dB hitting your chest hard. And you know what the gainclone hardly gets warm  :lol: That's only 40 watts into 8 ohms.

Enough said before I make myself sound like a hypocritical arse. Which I guess I am in some ways.  Others with more experience should chime in for ya.

Anand.

owenmd

« Reply #56 on: 27 Feb 2010, 10:39 pm »
I would have to agree with Anand.... I've had all three and in my system there's no competition.  I found the Lessloss much better than the Flavor 4, but the Kaplan rhodium was in a different league.  Surprised on the Flavor 4 being better than the Violet.... mind you from what I remember, I only had gold wattgates or something fitted.... connectors can make quite the difference.

nautilus983

« Reply #57 on: 2 Mar 2010, 10:03 am »
Thanks Anand, and thanks Owen :D

I'm now a 100% sure that I'm going to buy the Kaplan H.E.s for my new headphone system in the following weeks :D

-nautilus

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #58 on: 28 Mar 2010, 12:26 am »
For those of you who have the conditioner version of the Kaplan H.E Power Cord, I have an inexpensive tweak that you can try - replace the stock fuse with a cryo'd ceramic fuse from Lee at Cyroparts (http://www.cryo-parts.com/fuses.html).

I have tried this with the 3 amp conditioner cord and felt that there was an audible improvement.

The fuses are inexpensive (under $15 each) and Lee is a pleasure to deal with, so you really don't have much to lose.

George
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2010, 01:20 pm by zybar »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #59 on: 28 Mar 2010, 03:27 am »
For those of you who have the conditioner version of the Kaplan H.E Power Cord, I have an inexpensive tweak that you can try - replace the stock fuse with a cryo'd ceramic fuse from Lee at Cyroparts (http://www.cryo-parts.com/fuses.html).

I have tried this with both the 3 amp and 15 amp conditioner cords and in both cases I felt that there was an audible improvement.

The fuses are inexpensive (under $15 each) and Lee is a pleasure to deal with, so you really don't have much to lose.

George

Great idea George.  What size/values are they?