Onix Grand Master Digital: holy friggin' crap

gary

« on: 21 Nov 2003, 12:47 am »
Got it from UPS a few minutes ago, and out of the box it's just plain awesome. For the life of me I can't understand how a digital cable could make any difference, let alone this kind of difference. I've gotten lesser improvements from component upgrades.

Anyone out there who's skeptical, or who doesn't believe cables matter in a system, is certainly invited to my place to check this out. And hopefully I'll put a more indepth review up sometime after the holiday.

-Gary

John Casler

« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2003, 01:36 am »
Where do you live? :mrgreen:

gary

oops...
« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2003, 01:48 am »
Thought it was in my profile (it is now).

I'm in Rochester, NY. And rather unfortunately so this time of year.

-gary

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2003, 02:05 am »
Ok, I have to ask.  If this cable is so friggin good, why did they stop making it??
One of these cable dudes around here better get one and open that baby up.
What did this cable sell for?

wreilly

Re: Onix Grand Master Digital: holy friggin' crap
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2003, 02:27 am »
Quote from: gary
Got it from UPS a few minutes ago, and out of the box it's just plain awesome. For the life of me I can't understand how a digital cable could make any difference, let alone this kind of difference. I've gotten lesser improvements from component upgrades.

Anyone out there who's skeptical, or who doesn't believe cables matter in a system, is certainly invited to my place to check this out. And hopefully I'll put a more indepth review up sometime after the holiday.

-Gary

Mine came last night and my reaction upon opening the package was the same however not exactly phrased the same :mrgreen:

I'm going to do a full review of the GM, HDXV, Cobalt and Straight Wire digital cables.

Maxcast, what I was told is that Onix is gettting out of cables to concentrate on their core buisiness; speakers. Don't know if this is the whole story, but thats what I was told.

Regards,
Bill

gary

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2003, 02:30 am »
Quote from: MaxCast
Ok, I have to ask.  If this cable is so friggin good, why did they stop making it??
One of these cable dudes around here better get one and open that baby up.
What did this cable sell for?

Good question. I talked to Walt Liederman (Mark's partner at av123.com) for quite a while about this. Basically his answer was that to do high-end cables you have to do it full-time, and it wasn't working as just one of the products they were selling. And I don't know who originally made these things, or where they made them. Wish I did. Anyway basically, he said it was much easier to sell the sort of products av123 now sells in MUCH bigger quantities than to spend a lot of time to sell a few cables.

I'm not sure what their original price was, I believe it was $600msrp. I paid $140. This is the original cost to them according to Walt.

As for the innards, I'm picking up one of the last 3m interconnects and I'm going to cut it into three 1m pairs. When I do, I'll post some pictures in my gallery here. No one is going near my digital cable (which is damn near 1" in diameter by the way), but I can't wait to see what the inside of the interconnects looks like.

-Gary

wreilly

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2003, 03:02 am »
Ok, so this begs another question. Who makes a cable ( Digital and Analog ) that would be the equal of the Onix?

Mad DOg

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2003, 03:05 am »
Quote from: wreilly
...I was told is that Onix is gettting out of cables to concentrate on their core buisiness; speakers. Don't know if this is the whole story, but thats what I was told...

EVERYONE agrees that speakers affect sound...not everyone agrees that cables can affect sound. even fewer people can justify spending the amount that the GMs cost prior to being discontinued and marked down...that being said, i think the speaker market is far bigger than the cable market which means there's more opportunity in speakers than in cables...just my $0.02...

Mad DOg

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2003, 03:08 am »
Ok, so this begs another question. Who makes a cable ( Digital and Analog ) that would be the equal of the Onix?

i haven't found one yet...but i'd love to know as well...and if i find one that i prefer more than the Onix, i'll be sure to share it with everyone...

wreilly

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2003, 03:12 am »
Quote from: Mad DOg
...I was told is that Onix is gettting out of cables to concentrate on their core buisiness; speakers. Don't know if this is the whole story, but thats what I was told...

EVERYONE agrees that speakers affect sound...not everyone agrees that cables can affect sound. even fewer people can justify spending the amount that the GMs cost prior to being discontinued and marked down...that being said, i think the speaker market is far bigger than the cable market which means there's more opportunity in speakers than in cables...just my $0.02...

Mad DOg,
I agree, which is why I started this quest with the HDXV, but at this price I could not pass it up.
Well thats not exactly true, I started with Cobalt.

Mad DOg

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2003, 03:17 am »
...I'm going to do a full review of the GM, HDXV, Cobalt and Straight Wire digital cables...

wreilly,

you know that regardless of what you write up, your review will be met w/ skepticism... :wink:

so i hope you find the cable that is right for you cuz in the end that's really what this is all about...

Sa-dono

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2003, 07:31 am »
Quote from: gary
As for the innards, I'm picking up one of the last 3m interconnects and I'm going to cut it into three 1m pairs. When I do, I'll post some pictures in my gallery here. No one is going near my digital cable (which is damn near 1" in diameter by the way), but I can't wait to see what the inside of the interconnects looks like.

You may not want to do this :o It is supposedly a PITA to replace the connectors for these cables. Don't ask me how I know. Do so at your own risk. You have been warned....

wreilly

« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2003, 11:55 am »
...I'm going to do a full review of the GM, HDXV, Cobalt and Straight Wire digital cables...

wreilly,

you know that regardless of what you write up, your review will be met w/ skepticism... :wink:

so i hope you find the cable that is right for you cuz in the end that's really what this is all about...

Hi Mad DOg, yes I know. What will make this even worse is that I'm a firm believer in synergy, basically impeadance matching in this case.
I too like the GM for the same reason you stated and Lak disliked it. However rest assured my choice will be based on my personal tastes, which, in the end, are So subjective and personal.
Even though it is to early to post a review, I think that the outcome may surprise many.
So let the snippers snipe, and the bitchers bitch. :?

I have a 3 day weekend starting today so I may be able to post results this weekend 8)

Regards,
Bill

MaxCast

« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2003, 12:12 pm »
Go get 'em, Bill!!   :D

GO BLUE !!

Lak

« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2003, 12:45 pm »
I wouldn't say that I dislike the Grand Master, it might become better in the extreme highs as it breaks in.  Other than that I really like it!  Let's just say that at this point I prefer the i2.  :roll:

Mad DOg

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2003, 04:55 pm »
Quote from: Lak
I wouldn't say that I dislike the Grand Master, it might become better in the extreme highs as it breaks in.  Other than that I really like it!  Let's just say that at this point I prefer the i2.  :roll:

Lak,

I can definitely see folks liking the HDXV...as I didn't dislike it...In fact, if the GM was not in my system, the HDXV would be there now as it comes in 2nd place out of all the digital cables I've tried in my system! :D

Fathom7

« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2003, 07:08 pm »
Quote from: Lak

Gents:

I too have gone through the Onix GM and for me I found it superior to some other digital cables I was trying :o .  As for me:  The Onix is up for sale (check Trading Post in a couple of minutes  :D  -- and it is recommended.  Mine was from Walter and Underwood HiFi and is 0.5M and with just a very few hours on it.  :!:

I run two digitals now -- an HDXV from the player to my DTI Pro 32B and an Acoustic Zen MC2 from the DTI to a later Dusty V piece his Channel Islands DAC.  If the length worked for me I would probably take the AZ cable out and try the Onix again -- but it doesn't.  Still evolving system and am committed to the AZ for now.  That all said, the Onix GM is a very good cable IMHO.

Thanks to all who put forth the effort.

viggen

« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2003, 08:07 pm »
Something I am kind of confused about and not that it is very important, but after doing a search on Google, I found Onix Grand Master is a British brand and sold mainly in Asia.  Infact, the first 20 links on Google is Chinese.  From the threads here on AC, I was under the impression it is made in the US?

Sa-dono

« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2003, 09:22 pm »
Quote from: viggen
Something I am kind of confused about and not that it is very important, but after doing a search on Google, I found Onix Grand Master is a British brand and sold mainly in Asia.  Infact, the first 20 links on Google is Chinese.  From the threads here on AC, I was under the impression it is made in the US?

Onix (Made in England (I think is the full name)) was originally a British company, but the name was bought.

Lak

Onix Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2003, 11:45 am »
The Onix Grand Master digital cable is good but not my cup of tea, a bit to warm for me. Mine is a week old and not fully broken in.

.5/M RCA/RCA
I'll sell it for what I paid for it, $130 and I'll pay for shipping. Let me know if your interested :!: