Stereovox HDXV digital cable comparison

Mad DOg

« on: 16 Nov 2003, 08:25 am »
Disclaimer: Please note that this is just MY impression of cables that were used in MY system in MY room. As always, your mileage may vary. :)

Stereovox HDXV Digital coax by Chris Sommovigo vs. Onix Grand Master Digital Coax

Since everyone on AudioCircle who has tried out the new Stereovox HDXV digital coax has been raving about how awesome it is regardless of price, I decided to give it a try since it has a 30 day money back guarantee and is only $75(intro pricing)+shipping from Eighth Nerve.

After receiving the HDXV. I did some initial comparisons but decided to give the HDXV some more time before doing any serious critical listening. I'd have to say that my initial impressions of the HDXV were not all that favorable. Thin sounding...So after a quick email or two to Chris, I decided to run the cable for about 5 days and then compared again.

Fast forward 5 days...I'll just cut to the chase and get straight to my conclusion. While the HDXV is a good digital cable for the money, it sounded too dry and analytical in my system.

I simply preferred the Onix Grand Master Digital Coax cable by a HUGE margin...Highs are smoother yet just as detailed and transparent, mids are MUCH fuller and more fleshed out with LOADS more emotion, bass is much more impactful as well as being tighter and warmer. Warm and tight bass usually do not go together as warm bass generally denotes sloppier bass, but what I heard was warm yet, tight bass with the Onix GM! Source material used: Josh Groban CD, Norah Jones Come Away With Me, Ray Montford, Andrea Bocelli Romanza, Chocolat soundtrack. The Grand Master is just far more musical and engaging. I did a quick single blind a/b with my better half who is not knowledgeable about audio equipment but knows what sounds good to her and the first words out of her mouth were "very flat sounding" regarding the Stereovox in comparison to the Grand Master. The Grand Master was simply more 3 dimensional in it's musical presentation. Soundstage depth was better. Background was darker and blacker...No question about it, my wife and I both unequivocally preferred the Onix Grand Master Digital Coax cable. And to be perfectly honest, the Stereovox HDXV is an EXCELLENT cable for the money. It is better than any other digital cable I own or have owned but dry and analytical sounding in comparison to the GM.

I will definitely be returning this for a refund...Unless anyone else here would like to purchase this one for $75+shipping...perfect condition still and available immediately! :D

Happy listening! :)

My system:

Preamp: Rogue Audio Magnum 99 tube preamp
Amps: Aragon Palladium II monoblocks
Source: Audio Alchemy DDS-Pro CD transport
DAC: Perpetual Tech P-1/A, P-3/A Modwright Level 1 connected by Revelation Audio Prophecy I2S
Speakers: Onix Ref 1s
Stands: Osiris 24" speaker stands
Speaker cables: Onix SP-200
Interconnects: Onix Blues (RCA), Zu Varial (from P-3/A to preamp), Onix Grand Master Digital Coax (this one ain't going anywhere anytime soon; you'd have to pry it from my dead body if you want this one):D

wreilly

« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2003, 10:13 am »
Mad Dog,

Great review!

Where did you get the Onix Grand Master Digital Coax? I don't see it on their WEB Site.

Thanks,
Bill

Mad DOg

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2003, 06:29 pm »
wreilly,

thanks.

the Onix GM was discontinued awhile back...:(

but i believe from what gary of panda thumb audio PM'd me, A-gon's Underwoodwally still has a few available...but you'd better check with Walter...

wreilly

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2003, 10:41 pm »
Just sent Walter an email. Thanks for the tip.

gary

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2003, 01:08 am »
walt has one less left now :)

also, after i made the mistake of calling him i:

1. am thinking about getting one of last pairs of grandmaster speaker cables

2. decided not to get the UFW-10 sub to match my Ref 1's but instead wait for the better one with room EQ built in

3. am even more anxious to get my hands on SOCS for the PT gear

-gary

Sa-dono

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2003, 01:34 am »
Quote from: gary

Be careful. They will likely not fit your speakers.

2. decided not to get the UFW-10 sub to match my Ref 1's but instead wait for the better one with room EQ built in

Interesting choice. I guess I'll see how both compare to each other.

gary

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2003, 02:12 am »
Why's that? Wrong size spades? Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to ask Wally about this before I order them (if I decide to).

Anyway, I'm off to dinner in Costa Mesa and then I'll be stopping by Mad Dog's house to check out his system(s). I'll at least report on the looks of the Onix digital cable, although I doubt if we'll have time for an A/B'ing.

-Gary

Quote from: Sa-dono
Quote from: gary

Be careful. They will likely not fit your speakers.

Interesting choice. I guess I'll see how both compare to each other.

wreilly

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2003, 02:50 am »
Hello all,

I should have the StereoVox Monday. Walter said I should have the tracking number for the Onix Monday as well.

So, while I don't know if I'm up to a full all-out review I will have several digital cables to compare.

I'll report back as soon as Iv had some time with these cables.

I'm also looking at the Channel Island DAC, any opinions :)

Mad DOg

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2003, 03:54 am »
Quote from: wreilly
Hello all,

I should have the StereoVox Monday. Walter said I should have the tracking number for the Onix Monday as well.

So, while I don't know if I'm up to a full all-out review I will have several digital cables to compare.

I'll report back as soon as Iv had some time with these cables.

Cool! Looking forward to reading about your impressions of these digital cables...hopefully one of them works out for you in your system! :)

tybee

Stereovox HDVX Digital
« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2003, 04:31 am »
Having spent the last two days critically listening to several pieces of audio equipment with different types of sonic signatures using the Stereovox HDVX digital cable,  my impressions differ from the above post.  After hearing the Stereovox, I purchased it for my two systems.  

Yes, I must agree there must be system synergy in matching system components.  We have all found that component break in is critical to get the best out of our systems.  Audiogon is full of 9 rated equipment that someone quickly purchases after reading the latest/greatest reviews and is disappointed when it sounds like crap right out the box. I found that the Stereovox can really help to retrieve information, but I cannot say it is thin or dry.  I can also say I wouldn't purchase a discontinued cable if I had not heard it.

Sa-dono

Re: Stereovox HDVX Digital
« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2003, 05:32 am »
Quote from: tybee
Having spent the last two days critically listening to several pieces of audio equipment with different types of sonic signatures using the Stereovox HDVX digital cable, my impressions differ from the above post. After hearing the Stereovox, I purchased it for my two systems.

Yes, I must agree there must be system synergy in matching system components......... I found that the Stereovox can really help to retrieve information, but I cannot say it is thin or dry.

tybee:
As was stated in the review above, "your mileage may vary." Sometimes these things are just a matter of relativity, besides just synergy. Can you possibly state what cables you have compared the HDVX to? It should be interesting to read wreilly's thoughts, as he will be trying out both cables in comparison to one another.

wreilly:
What other cables are going to be there besides the two stated?

viggen

« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2003, 06:48 am »
I have to confess somthing. I raved like a lunatic over the HDXV.  But... and a BIG BUT, but it's been laying on the floor next to my transprt for the last week.  I am comtemplating on returning the HDXV.  I'd keep for reference but maybe not.  Right now I am using a single Bogdan silver "princess" with ERS fitted within the bulletplugs.  It is really good no ifs and BUTS about it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2003, 07:08 am »
Quote from: viggen
I have to confess somthing. I raved like a lunatic over the HDXV.  But... and a BIG BUT, but it's been laying on the floor next to my transprt for the last week.
Does this mean you told a lie ?  :cry:

viggen

« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2003, 07:29 am »
All truths are relative .. temporal and interpersonal.. or for the purpose of this site, inter-system..nal.  :mrgreen:

Mad DOg

« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2003, 07:35 am »
Quote from: tybee
Having spent the last two days critically listening to several pieces of audio equipment with different types of sonic signatures using the Stereovox HDXV digital cable,  my impressions differ from the above post.  After hearing the Stereovox, I purchased it for my two systems...

tybee,

i certainly respect your opinion and i'm glad you really like your HDXVs...BUT i think you missed a point in my review...you compared ONE cable with DIFFERENT pieces of equipment...i compared TWO cables in the SAME system...

how can you say your impressions differ from mine when you haven't heard the 2 cables in my system in my room? have you even heard the Grand Master digital coax before let alone in your own systems?

if you haven't, let's wait for wreilly to share his opinions since he'll actually have them both to compare in the SAME system.

actually, Gary was just over listening to both cables in my system. i hope he chimes in with his impressions as he brought his own music and i a/b'd the 2 cables for him...

and finally, i said it before and i'll say it again...the Stereovox HDXV digital cable by Chris Sommovigo is an EXCELLENT cable for the money. It is the BEST cable i've tried OTHER THAN the Onix Grand Master digital coax. I truly applaud Chris for making a good cable available to the masses for a reasonable price.

tybee

« Reply #15 on: 17 Nov 2003, 09:47 am »
Mad dog,

I did not intend to start a flame war here.  Like I believe you do, I search for products that provide value and do not empty my bank account.  I think most members who participate in this forum are searching for the best value for their audio investment. Yes, the Stereovox does provide a pretty darn good alternative for the masses.  While I have heard Audience, the higher end Cardas and Kimber digital products, I won't pay retail for any of these cables.  I would pay the current retail for the Stereovox.

wreilly

« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2003, 12:11 pm »
wreilly:
What other cables are going to be there besides the two stated?[/quote]

Cobalt Ultmate Digital
Straight Wire
Monster

I'll have the exact models when I post the review.

Currently I'm using The Cobalt on 3 digitals sources,

Motorola settop from COMCAST
Sony DVP 7700 ( no mods )
Dennon 3800 DVD/DVD-A

All connected to an Aragon Stage One.

See my original post "Yet another Cable question".

What will be interesting is, if there is a difference into which device the cables are connected.
This is going to take some time though so be patient, I actually do have other things to do, like work.

Bill

Lak

« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2003, 06:10 pm »
Have any of you heard the i2 in your system?  I'd like to know how the i2 compares to the Stereovox HDVX and the Onix Grand Masters :?:

Mad DOg

« Reply #18 on: 17 Nov 2003, 06:24 pm »
Quote from: Lak
Have any of you heard the i2 in your system?  I'd like to know how the i2 compares to the Stereovox HDVX and the Onix Grand Masters :?:

do you mean an i2s cable?

if so, i've compared the Revelation Prophecy I2S cable to the Onix Grand Master...haven't had time to write up that review yet...

Lak

« Reply #19 on: 17 Nov 2003, 08:46 pm »
Mad DOg,
I’m referring to the i2Digital interconnect that Chris Sommovigo designed. Is that the same cable you tried :?: