Yet another Cable question

wreilly

« on: 7 Nov 2003, 03:41 am »
I have been looking for the best Digital Cable. In my quest I have come accross 3 that have peaked my interest.

1. Cobalt Cable
2, Ps Audio
3. DH Labs

So, is th PS audio worth the extra cost?

I have the Cobalt Cable  but am dissapointed in the connectors. They do not seat tightly.
Out of th box the sound stage colapsed, however after several hours the sound stage returned ( was this me getting used to the sound, hard to tell ). The buid quality is EXCELENT. But in the un-ending quest for "better", I thought I would try some others.

I have also tried Straight wire, Monster, KAS (analog ), Cardas ( analog ).

And last but not least, would an outboard DAC serve this quest better?
Would an outboard DAC improve the quality if used on a COMCAT Digital Cable box.

Lots of questions I know and admitedly free association, so forgive the tendincy to ramble.

System:

Aragon Stage One ( using it as the DAC )
Sony 7700 used as a transport ( Stock no Mods )
EAD PM 1000 for the Center and Rears
Stratos DM
Dennon 3800 DVD. May go to the 5900, maybe.
Aerial Acustics LR5 as front mains.
NHT AC2 Center ( you may scoff, but this is a great CC )
NHT 2.9 as rear ( I know this is not the speaker to use as a Rear ( any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. The matching Aerials are to large.

KAS Silver; Preamp to Stratos.  These are to bright and will be replaced. Perhaps with the PS Audio.

I'm l am leaing to the PS Audio.

70% HT 30% 2 channel ( although that swings back and forth ).

Music: all over the map.

Feel free to  comment on any aspect.
If you choose to trash my setup, thats is fine, but please be specific with you comments.

Many thanks,
Bill

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2003, 04:01 am »
Bill,

What kind of budget are you looking at?  Both for digital ic and possibly a dac.

What are you hoping to improve?

I know these are questions and not answers, but I need more info to give you some feedback.

GW

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2003, 04:53 am »
Bill,

Have you looked at any of Bolder Cables digitals?

I had Wayne build me a digital w/Silver Eichmann Bullet plugs late last year. It was such an amazing sounding cable that within a few months I'd ordered 3 more built the same way. At one point, I demo'd that cable against a Transparent Audio Reference AES/EBU digital. Wayne's cable was so close that it was hard to tell between the two. And the Transparent cable cost $800 more than Wayne's cable did.

Since then I had Wayne build me a Napalm Ultra digital. It's got Silver Bullet plugs, 2 Bybee Quantum Purifiers built in, and is completely wrapped with ERS fabric. Then, like all of the other digitals I had him build before, it was Cryo treated. All of that stuff made a great digital even better.

I demo'd my Napalm Ultra against that same Transparent AES/EBU cable and found the Napalm Ultra to better the Transparent.

So, I'd say the best digital I've come across is the Bolder Cables Napalm Ultra (cryo'd, of course :mrgreen: ).

Oh, and in case you're wondering. My setup is used for 99.9% HT & .1% music...

wreilly

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2003, 10:47 am »
Quote from: zybar
Bill,

What kind of budget are you looking at?  Both for digital ic and possibly a dac.

What are you hoping to improve?

I know these are questions and not answers, but I need more info to give you some feedback.

GW

zybar,

I would rather not spend more than what the PS Audio cost, say around $250, but I could be coaxed higher if I thought it was warented. As to the cost of the DAC, say $1000, but again I'm not paticularly interested in price as a first criteria. If it ( cable or DAC ) is worth the expence and is accompanied by even some "jaw dropping" I'll go with what ever is best. If that  means a 250$ DAC or a $1500 DAC so be it. But I am well past the point where Expencive means best.

wreilly

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2003, 10:50 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Bill,

I had Wayne build me a digital w/Silver Eichmann Bullet plugs late last year. It was such an amazing sounding cable that within a few months I'd ordered 3 more built the same way. At one point, I demo'd that cable against a Transparent Audio Reference AES/EBU digital. Wayne's cable was so close that it was hard to tell between the two. And the Transparent cable cost $800 more than Wayne's cable did.

Since then I had Wayne build me a Napalm Ult ...

Hi Bubba, thanks for the info and you can be sure I will be looking into Bolder.
What is the Napalm Ultra, I don't see it on their site?

BikeWNC

« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2003, 12:22 pm »
You need to include the Stereovox HDXV digital in any comparison you make.  For $75 it is really hard to beat.

wreilly

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2003, 12:48 pm »
Quote from: Tsunami
You need to include the Stereovox HDXV digital in any comparison you make.  For $75 it is really hard to beat.

Thanks Tsunami, since they only sell through distributers I may not find one in my area. However I emailed them and requested the info.
Too bad, looks very good.

Thanks again,
Bill

BikeWNC

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2003, 01:10 pm »
I bought mine from The Cable Co. or Fatwyre.com.  The Tele # is 1-800-fatwyre.  

Andy

8thnerve

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2003, 02:43 pm »
Quote from: wreilly
Quote from: Tsunami

Thanks Tsunami, since they only sell through distributers I may not find one in my area. However I emailed them and requested the info.
Too bad, looks very good.

Thanks again,
Bill

They don't only sell through distributors.  There are dealers, local and mail-order, many who offer 30-day guarantees.  Check with Stereovox.

Hantra

« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2003, 03:07 pm »
Andy:

I'm glad you brought up the HDXV.  I second that recommendation.  I don't want some Azhole to bitch and say "every time anyone brings up digital cables, Hantra ALWAYS has to jump in with the HDXV recommendation."  That leads to accusatory, inflamatory comments. .  ;-)

But if you just WANT to spend more money, I have a $240 one for sale that the HDXV displaced. . ;-)

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2003, 03:21 pm »
Quote from: wreilly
Hi Bubba, thanks for the info and you can be sure I will be looking into Bolder.
What is the Napalm Ultra, I don't see it on their site?

The Napalm Ultra isn't on Wayne's site yet, I'm not sure why he's not put it up yet.

Here's some info on the particular cable he built me. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=3518&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=26
That's in the middle of the thread on the Napalm, but it is referring to the Cryo'd Napalm Ultra that I had him build. Just email Wayne about it if you need any more info since he doesn't have it on his site yet.

byteme

« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2003, 03:51 pm »
I have to third the suggestion for the HDXV cable.  I put it in yesterday and compared it to the Audience AU24 digital cable which in my mind is better than anything I've tried including the Kimber D60 illuminations cable.  The HDXV was clearly better.  Hard to go wrong at $75.  It is very very good.  I didn't even have to go back and forth with the two cables.  I listened a little with the audition and then the same songs with the HDXV and I knew in 5 minutes the AU24 was gonna get sold.

Hantra

« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2003, 04:40 pm »
I didn't even have to go back and forth with the two cables.

Know what's funny?  Everyone I know that has gotten this said the SAME thing.  Look at my review, and you'll see that I kept mine in for two weeks before I compared it head-to-head with AU24.  I had no desire to take it out.  

But I did it for you guys.  ;-)

B

BikeWNC

« Reply #13 on: 7 Nov 2003, 06:22 pm »
B,

Way to take one for the team!    :P  

Andy

wreilly

Thank you everyone
« Reply #14 on: 7 Nov 2003, 06:27 pm »
Here is the address Stereovox supplied.

AUDIO REVOLUTIONS
4720 Benton Smith Rd.
Nashville, TN 37215

WEB: www.audiorevolutions.com

Offers 30-Day Money Back Guarantee on HDXV

(615) 742 4283

I just ordered 3.

I willl let you know what I think.

Again Many Thanks,
Bill

wreilly

« Reply #15 on: 7 Nov 2003, 07:06 pm »
Quote from: bubba966
Bill,

Since then I had Wayne build me a Napalm Ult ...

Thanks for the info, Wayne sent me the information. However I have spent more money on the premise the more expensive is better, I'm going to start at the low price range and go up from there. Nothing is so frustrating than finding out you spent $1000 when $100 would have done the job just as well.
In the end I may end up with the Bolder or PS Audio, time will tell.

Again thank you,
Bill

audiojerry

« Reply #16 on: 7 Nov 2003, 10:03 pm »
Let us know how the journey goes, Bill

WerTicus

« Reply #17 on: 8 Nov 2003, 01:03 am »
umm being digital and all its going to be exactly the same assuming its not SO CRAP it cant even transmit all the bits correctly....the clock is whats affecting the sound.. you would do far better with your money to upgrade that!

byteme

« Reply #18 on: 8 Nov 2003, 01:14 am »
Quote from: WerTicus
umm being digital and all its going to be exactly the same assuming its not SO CRAP it cant even transmit all the bits correctly....the clock is whats affecting the sound.. you would do far better with your money to upgrade that!

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:

If, by some chance you're not a troll I'll make this one effort.  Every digital cable I've had has sounded somewhat different.  To this point the HDXV has been better than all the rest AND miracle of miracles costs less too!!  Unless you've actaully given it a listen in your system how can you assume otherwise?

If in fact you are a troll or just trying to rile things up here or worse yet to start a fight then  :evil:  :finger:

BikeWNC

« Reply #19 on: 8 Nov 2003, 01:14 am »
WerTicus wrote:
being digital and all its going to be exactly the same assuming its not SO CRAP it cant even transmit all the bits correctly

I would agree if I hadn't heard a difference between several respected digital coax cables in my system.  There have been many discussions about this very topic and the theories behind why it is so.  All I know is what sounds good to my ears.

Andy