Ridge Street Audition pack - review #2

Beezer

« on: 6 Nov 2003, 09:38 pm »
Hey folks,

I’m wrapping up my audition and wanted to let you all know my impressions.  First off, fit and finish are great.  They look good with seemingly high quality materials and construction.  Also, I appreciate that they are relatively thin and pliable, making it easy to fit them in tight and hard to reach spots.

I tried the speaker cables first and immediately noticed an improvement over the Zu Wax cables I have been using.  The instruments were more “solid” in the soundstage, overall tonal balance was more natural, and the detail was better with improved ambient cues and instrument decays.  On Alison Kraus and Union Station, Live, the dobro and banjo had more body and better harmonic detail, while Alison’s voice was much smoother and present.  The Zu cables sounded slightly thin and bright by comparison.  Overall, the music sounded more relaxed with better detail.  I’ll be looking to purchase these cables in the not too distant future.

Next up were the balanced interconnects between my preamp and amp.  To be honest, I didn’t notice any differences between the Ridge Street cables and the Empirical Holophonics already in place. Maybe there was a tad more body to the sound and slightly better bass response, but then again I might just have wanted to hear more after the speaker cable experience.  When I take the RS cables out, I’ll start with these interconnects will let you all know if I notice any changes in the other direction.

Finally, I inserted a 2nd set of interconnects between the phono stage and preamp, replacing a set of Zu Varial Interconnects.  Once again the RS offering bested the Zu incumbent – more natural tonal balance, better detail, more solid imaging.  These are another winner from my perspective and will be added to my system sometime soon.

All in all, I’m very impressed with the Ridge Street cables.  At a slightly higher price point than the Zu cables (~$150), they offer appreciably better sound (IMO, IMS, etc.).  The Empirical comparison was pretty limited, but both seem to be great cables and the differences are too subtle for me to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Robert, thanks for the audition.  As far as I can tell, it should be a winning proposition for everyone involved.  BTW, what up with the M&M theme?

Next up on the auditon list is Bill@LakeGeorge.  I'll be sending them out tomorrow.

Beez

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2003, 08:15 pm »
Hi Beez.
Thank you for your time and effort with the MSE Gen.II cabling. I'm glad we were able to make a difference in your music listening enjoyment.

It seems quite evident to me that you've taken good care to assemble a musically engaging system. While I could go on about the musicality of our cabling, your impressions are a few of the things are cables do very well and your observations are spot on. It's nice to have our ears and efforts validated.

I'll shamelessly put a plug or two in here about our products. As good as the MSE Gen.II cabling has been performing in folk's systems, the Poiema! cables we now offer are better! The designation of Gen.II for the Midnight Silver Edition actually came out of our development for the Poiema! cabling. Also, as there has been some buzz about digital cables on the boards lately, let me suggest that the MSE Gen.II Digital I/C is a serious ear opener.

One last thing that I think might be good to bring to attention. It has occurred to me that Ridge Street Audio Designs is not in the business of building cables. We are true cable manufacturers. In other words, we don’t buy wire from, say Beldon, Alpha, etc. and then add our own "twist" to it so to speak. There are many fine audio cable companies that do this but we're not one of them. Our conductors are sourced from an industry leader and supplier of silver to the medical field. From there, it sees another processing vendor before it sees our hands. Once here, we add our processing to it before the insulators, which we manufacture, are applied. From there, the tooling we've developed facilitates the topology and construction of our finished product. None of this is done as a matter of convenience as anyone who would watch a set of cables being made would attest to. Rather, our method and process has very valid and beneficial reasons behind it. It’s also why they take so damned long to make...wished I could change that. Finally, our cables see 48 hours of burn in before they leave here and then I magically wave my hand over each cable and chant "Amper Damper Woofer Wacker Tweeter Tweaker KaZang!" and they're done (Okay, not really on the hand and chant thing).

Anyway, all this. Hopefully, that gives you a little more insight into Ridge Street Audio Designs.

Beez, Thank you again....

mattybumpkin

Chant
« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2003, 08:30 pm »
Robert,

Amper Damper Woofer Wacker Tweeter Tweaker KaZang???

I am starting to question your sanity..... :>)

Have a good weekend,

"M"

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2003, 01:08 am »
"B"...you're just starting to question? Evidently, I haven't given you a clear enough picture! :o  :lol:  :lol:

You have a restful weekend yourself "B". Thanks!

mattybumpkin

Picture
« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2003, 01:22 am »
No, you have, really.  Two to be precise.

8)

"M"

Sa-dono

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2003, 07:09 am »
Beezer:

Nice review! Interesting to see a comparison with Zu cables.

Robert:

Since you mentioned the Poiema! cables...any chance you have any pictures of them? I'm interested in seeing what they look like. Also, is the introductory pricing completely dead (or will there be future offers, or possible packaged deals)?

I may just have to give your cables a listen, just based on the fact that you like Bozzio, Dream Theater, AND Weckl 8)

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2003, 05:48 pm »
Hi Sa-dono.
As soon as I'm able to set a block of time aside, I'll have updated images of all our cables. Our website is in much need of updating also.

As for introductory pricing on the Poiema! cabling, if there's enough interest I'll miraculously resurrect that pricing for a period :lol: . The other way I would consider extending that pricing is if we can have some time for production. We are buried right now working 10-12 hours a day. It's a good thing I love what we do. When I worked in the print industry as a consultant, I loathed those kind of hours.

Ha! Are you a percussionist Sa-dono? I love the innovation of Bozzio, the musical finesse of Portney and the technical skill of Weckl. I know they are much more than these but these are the attributes I admire most about these drummers. I actually have a ton of favorite drummer/percussionists. I also play guitar and do some back-up vocals. Currently, I'm playing with a local singer/song writer here in the area. It's just him and I. Very challenging because it's forced me to be more creative with my percussive skills. I can't be a full fledged drummer in this setting. It not appropriate. So I scaled my kit way back and added some special effect type of cymbals, bells, chimes and blocks. Anyway....

Sa-dono

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2003, 08:56 am »
Hey Robert! I'll look forward to the website update and new pics. Let us all know when that happens! If you can keep us (well mainly me :wink: ) updated (hopefully in advance) when the next intro pricing will happen as well, that would be great. One of these days I'm going to be doing some extra cable upgrades, and your Poiema!'s are on the list for IC's, SC's, and PC's. Unfortunately, the main other brand I'm looking at for comparisons, I need to have specially ordered.

And yes..I'm a drummer. Certainly there many other great drummers and percussionists out there as well, but those three are all great in their areas of music. Although my list of favorites varies a good deal too. Sounds like a very cool musical experience you've got going. You may want to check out some of Steven Perkins work (if you haven't already), for some simplistic, but very sweet, beats and ideas. Of course if we go too much into all this, we're going to completely take over this thread :mrgreen:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2003, 02:50 pm »
Robert, What would you say is the real difference ( besides the price ) between the Poiema! and the MSE Gen. II cables. Thanks !  :?

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2003, 03:03 am »
Hi Lonewolf.

The Poiema! cabling is what we term as a hybrid mono planar design where the MSE Gen.II is a mono planar. The spacing is a little different in the Poiema I/Cs but is the same as the MSE Gen.II S/Cs. The finishing process on the conductors is more extensive on the Poiema! cabling also. A tricky part of the construction of Poiema! is that while the cable is heavier than the MSE Gen.II, it's actually constructed under even lower tension conditions than the MSE Gen.IIs which is already very low.

Finally, when cooking the cables in, we actually use a large pizza oven fired up to 250 degrees. We go through a lot of Eichmann plugs but wha'd ya gonna do? Then, during the chant (see above posting) we change the "Whacker" to "Whoopy" and "Tweaker" to "Tinkle". :o  :wink:  :lol:

The result of all this fuss is an even quiter cable that allows you to hear deeper into the recording. Details like spacial cues for example, are more evident. There's also a better sense of perspective that enables the music to sound more orgainic or life like, if you will. These are things the MSE Gen.IIs do very well but the Poiema! cables do all of this better. I could go on but I don't want to sound too much like a promo which I know I have a tendency to do. I think I would do better to let the cabling speak for itself.

Hope this gives you some idea.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2003, 03:12 pm »
Thank's Robert for your insight ! :D   By the way , perfect music selection for gazing the lunar eclipse - "Pink Fluid: Animals Moon Dark Side of The Wall - Brail ".  :lol:

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2003, 06:03 pm »
Hi Lonewolfe.

Wanted to give you a heads up that the Audition Package should be on it's way to you. I'm guessing you should see the package Monday or Tuesday. Keep me posted when it arrives. In the meantime, I'm trusting that you'll enjoy your time with our offerings. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help with anything....

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2003, 05:42 am »
Quote from: Robert C. Schult
Hi Lonewolfe.

Wanted to give you a heads up that the Audition Package should be on it's way to you. I'm guessing you should see the package Monday or Tuesday. Keep me posted when it arrives. In the meantime, I'm trusting that you'll enjoy your time with our offerings. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help with anything....
Hello Robert, I've received  FedEx tracking number form Bill@LakeGeorge.He shipped it out Friday 11/21, tracking arrival date sezzz... Wed. 11/26 (must be coming by "Pony Express"- Lake George is 6hrs. away, same state).At least it will be here by Thanksgiving, (so I'll either celebrate or stuff it in the turkey :lol: .) Thanks !!  :)

audiojerry

« Reply #13 on: 23 Nov 2003, 03:04 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
At least it will be here by Thanksgiving, (so I'll either celebrate or stuff it in the turkey :lol: .) Thanks !!  :)

That's supposed to be even better than cryo treatment! Let us know how that goes  :lol: