Short review of DNM audio speaker cables and Reson IC's

IanATC

A short review of DNM audio solid core speaker cables and Reson IC’s.

URL:  http://www.dnm.co.uk/cables.html

Associated gear:
ATC SCM-12 Monitors biwired on “Something solid” XF stands
REL Storm III subwoofer
Naim Cd-5 Modified internally with copper shielding
Musical Fidelity A3.2 pre/308cr power amp (modded)

I had run a gamut of affordable interconnects.  I had been impressed with the otherworldly expensive Nordost Red dawn.  For my system they seemed to deliver every ounce of detail.  The problem was, Nordost was out of my budget. I tried the likes of Ixos, monster, and the latest:  Kimber Silver streak and Hero. I had been using awg-12 OFC and Chord TFE insulated speaker wire .    Nothing really performed like I wanted. The biggest problem I noted vs the dealers ATC setup was a hardness and sheen on brass and other upper midrange/lower treble sounds. The ATC's posess incredibly revealing detail, musicality, dynamics and transparency derived from fine studio monitors. They have a stat-like midrange that is very fast and neutral.

I purchased the DNM Reson IC’s after hearing a demo. The cables look small, flat and unimpressive at first.  In fact, you are so locked into thicker speaker cables, they just seem too bloody thin. Not so. Upon installation,  There was an instant improvement in the way the music flowed.  The sound  remained detailed and transparent, but now had a liquidity from note-to-note.  The hardness and sheen was gone.  Substituting in the DNM solid core speaker cable it was more of the same.  This does not mean any neutrality was sacrificed.  It was like going from a rough 8 bit music sample to a well recorded 64bit DSD disc.  

The DNM made a noticeable difference in smoothness, musicality and listenability. I hate to use overwrought metaphors like “night and day”  so I will merely say the difference was pronounced, and not subtle. Bass definition is excellent. The DNM cables are in my system, more musical and fluid than the ghastly expensive Nordost Red Dawn.  Icing on the cake is the fact I paid very little.  The DNM Reson Ic’s were only ₤40  ($68 USD)  per 1m pair.  The DNM solid core cable was  ₤102 ($173.40)  for 16 metres. This was the second great inexpensive improvement in my system, next to my copper shielding experiment, which cost me about $12 US.

I whole heartedly must recommend DNM.  Especially for those who have systems capable of forward treble or hot upper midrange.  These cables let the music flow unabated, and glide from your system the way you’d expect brutally expensive cables to do.  They made a big difference here, and I am thoroughly satisfied.  :D

Double Ugly

Short review of DNM audio speaker cables and Reson IC's
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2003, 02:18 pm »
I already had the DNMs on my short list.  It's good to hear you're so pleased.

I first heard out about them while reading this article (they're at the end).  I appreciate the review and second data point.   :D

DU