Kubala Sosna Fascination Interconnects

Phil

Kubala Sosna Fascination Interconnects
« on: 5 Apr 2008, 10:23 pm »
Just in case there are folks out there who think, as I did, that KS cables are beyond their budgets, you might like to know that the Fascination part of the line (as KS says, the introduction to their revolutionZ stuff) is terrific sounding and not unreasonable in price (audiophile-pricewise, that is - prices to increase in June).  Anyone who doesn't believe that cables make a difference will find this silly, no doubt.  For the believers -- see if you can get your hands on broken-in cables and pop them in your system.

I'm amazed at the tonality from top to bottom, the dynamics and the natural sound.  Perhaps some of this is synergy -- I do have a KS powercord and KS speaker cables connected to the same pampered amplifier -- but I also know that the first KS thing I tried, the powercord, opened my ears. 

Once they were burned in, I listened to a disc that is not one of my favorites -- there are one or two songs I liked -- and suddenly I was listening intently to the whole disc.  When the individuality of the musician's tone/touch becomes more evident, I'm all ears.  This is good stuff.

YMMV?  I hope not.

Phil

« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2008, 10:58 pm by Phil »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Kubala Sosna Fascination Interconnects
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2008, 01:28 am »
Even tho I'm not in a postition to change either my speaker cables or my interconnects, I'm in total agreement with you on replacing my VH Flavor 4 power cords on my 2 Butler Audio amps with KS Emotion PC's. These power cords that you actually introduced to me Phil are very balanced thru out the frequency range and expecially extending in the highs. They really opened up my Butler amps and I can only imagine what a set of Kubala-Sosna Emotion SC & IC's would sound like in my system. I bet even the Fascination line would sound great also but like I said i don't have the resources to find out.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Phil

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2008, 08:26 pm »
The upgrade policy helps with the expense:  Cables upgraded in good shape within the year retain 95% of their value toward a higher priced cable.  Devilish, huh?  :icon_twisted:

I like to upgrade over time without losing value and having a smaller upfront investment.

Not trying to stir up the audionervosa, Robin -- you already have great cables.

Phil

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2008, 03:11 am »
What are they made of?  I cannot derive this from their website.  I'd like to look into their ICs and SCs.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2008, 10:49 am »
bump

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2008, 08:06 pm »
bump

arthurs

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2008, 08:09 pm »
I believe they are copper Pete, but I'm not 100%, it's been awhile since I shopped them....

Phil

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2008, 10:22 pm »
You might want to ask Brent Rainwater, who sold me my pair:  brainwater@sc.rr.com
Brent is very helpful.

Phil

rpf

« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2008, 10:24 pm »
They are copper as per Joe Kubala.

I tried the Fascination ICs and thought they were very good. Ended up with a pair of Expressions which are even better and eventually scored a great deal on a pair of used Emotions, which... you know.

Found a full set of Fascinations ICs with a pair of Expression spkr. cables a bit too recessed, even rolled off a bit on top.

Really like the ICs with the Jena Labs Valkyre spkr. cables I have now. Have to try some Jena Labs ICs.
One thing about the Jena Labs cables though, is they need to be re-terminated with Gold connectors in place of the standard Rhodium. Jennifer graciously did that for the spkr. cables I bought used and the result is fantastic and and an incredible combination with the Kubala-Sosna.

Rob
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2008, 12:36 am by rpf »

kbuzz3

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2008, 01:33 am »
can some provide some ballpark pricing on the KS line of ICs and digital coax

anthony a.

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2009, 05:38 am »
i didn't care much about the fascinations, but the emotion is awesome.  i have been trying so hard over the last 2 years to "try" and sell my emotion power cord and buy something cheaper, but it is so good, i can't let my hands let it go.  a full emotion setup would be amazing.

BobM

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2009, 01:55 pm »
If you're looking for a PC that is quite good for quite a bit less money you should check out Pau; Kaplan's (Occam's) new cords over at www.tweekgeek.com. Look under Kaplan Cables.

We did a compare against Robin's KS cord and, although the KS was better, these were very close for about 1/4-1/3 the price.

Enjoy,
Bob

anthony a.

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:22 am »
could you eloborate a bit more on your findings, specifically where each pc was used and differences.  thanks.

BobM

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:12 pm »
It was a rather informal test with a lot of people in the room. The cords were switched in a variety of ways
 - on the DAC direct to the wall
 - on the DAC to the Kaplan power conditioner
 - on the amp to the wall
 - on the amp to the Kaplan power conditioner

In all cases the KS was the winner to my ears. The room was split 50-50 between it and the Kaplan cords, but both were clearly better than the other competition, some of which showed marked differences in different situations.

As you can imagine, this was a tedious process and only lasted for about 1/2 hour - 45 min before everyone had enough and we moved on to the reast of the day. So swaps were short and listening impressions needed to be made quickly. So the the focus had to be on the obvious things that could be noted from whever you were standing/sitting in the room, better top/bottom extension without stridency or distortion, more air and space, more dynamic, more "musical" overall.

Enjoy,
Bob