Power Cord Shootout (subjective)

BobM

Power Cord Shootout (subjective)
« on: 10 Feb 2008, 02:20 pm »
Well, thanks to Chris (Lonewolf) I've been busy this past week or so. I don't know if his generosity was a curse or a cure, but after this I think I'm gonna take a break with swapping stuff in and out of my system for a while and just enjoy the music  :lol:

This might be a little long, so I'm going to break it into several posts. First, my relevant system components and a link to pictures (http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vdone&1064946893&view):

- Audio Prism Mantissa preamp (modded w/ teflon coupling caps)
- ART DI/O DAC (highly modded)\
- Zhaolu 2.5C DAC (also modded)
- Hagerman Trumpet phono stage
- McCormack DNA .5 near Rev-A
- Jon Risch power conditioner & digital isolation transformer for digital
- Just Speakers MTM's (using Scanspeak drivers, also highly modded)

Chris also loaned my his Butler TDB 2250 amp and his AKSA amp to play with. I'll call out my perceptions with each cord/amp combo if they differ from one another.

So first, my amp evaluation and perceptions on the different sound of each.

to be continued ...

Bob

BobM

Re: Power Cord Shootout (subjective)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2008, 02:49 pm »
The 2 amps loaned to me by Chris each had their own personality, as you would expect. My perceptions are based on how they sounded using the Belden/Volex/Crump Asylum power cords on each, as compared against my McCormack DNA .5 modded amp.

The Butler TDB 2250 is a hybrid amp. It's got tubes in it, but definitely doesn't sound tubey at all. I puts out 250 watts into 8 ohms (compared to the McCormack's 100W into 8 ohms). Here's a link to a 6 Moons review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/butler/2250_2.html

In my system and to my ears the Butler sounded very relaxed and effortless. It did sound a little tight and overcontrolled though. Perhaps you could say that, although it got the large dynamic contrasts right, it left the small dynamic contrasts behind a bit. It was a very clear, clean sound without any hint of tubiness (I wonder what role those 2 tubes play in the circuit?). Overall it was very balanced top to bottom with a nice deep and tight bass.

The AKSA on the other hand, seemed like a polar opposite to me. It was very open and airy. It seemed to want to boogie and had me tapping my feet more often than not. The soundstage was open and spacious. The bass was OK but not as controlled as the Butler, but the perception of inner dynamics was very different from the Butler. Although it has less power on hand (100W) it wanted to get to the crashes, bangs, pops, and booms, and seemed to have more fun with them than the Butler. It may be a tad bright/light and not as balanced though. I can certainly see why this little amp that can be made in kit form has such a huge following. It was a lively little bugger, but not overly bright or sharp.

My McCormack DNA .5 has been modified to near Rev A status. I won't go into too much detail here, but overall I think this is one of the best little solid state amp's I've heard. Great inner and outer dynamics, open and airy with a tight, tuneful and deep bass. But the one discerning characteristic is that I think it gets the textures right.

now on to the cables themselves ...

Bob
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2008, 01:12 pm by BobM »

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2008, 03:27 pm »
Here's the list of cables I listened to:

- Volex/Belden Asylum cord (some call it the Crump cord) (DIY info on Audio Asylum)
- Harmonic Tech Pro-AC 11
- DH Labs Power Plus
- VH Audio Flavor 2 Cryo
- Acoustic Zen Tsunami Plus
- Black Sand - Black Max Extreme Power - White Lightning
- Black Sand - Black Max Extreme Power - Silver Ref MK II
- Black Sand - Silver Reference MK V
- (recently added) MAC HC Sound Pipe (My Audio Cables)
- (more recently added and my new favorite) Kaplan Cables Copper

In general, all of these cables were fairly flexible, with the exception of the Tsunami. The Black Sand cables in particular - they don't feel like there is any wire in there! It should also be noted that the differences listed below were not overwhelming. There are more similarities in these cables to one another than differences, and the differences were fairly subtle one to another. Of course, comparing the brightest cable to the darkest is noticeable, but in the progression I list below, one to another, the changes took a bit of going back and forth to pick out.

On the Amps (all evaluations using digital sources):

DH Power Plus had an overall dark texture. It definitely sounded polite and perhaps a bit rolled off at the top end. Good bottom end power with deep bass, which you would expect from a large guage wire. It is fairly flexible and easily goes where you want it to, but definitely wound up darkening the presentation on all amps.

Harmonic Tech PRO-AC 11 is I think really made for source components and not so much for amplifiers (someone please correct me here if I am mistaken). In general I would say it is the opposite of the DH Labs cable. It was light sounding. Defiitely on the bright and sharp side of neutral.

Black Max Extreme Power - White Lightening was a smooth performer, if a little laid back.  It was not as forward in its soundstage presentation as some of the others below. This cable could be ideal in an all digital system or a system that is overly bright and revealing, where you are looking for a more analogue sounding presentation and a reduction of digital nasties. This cable is not expensive in relative terms, and is definitely a bargain and one to be considered if budget is a leading factor.

VH Audio Flavor 2 Cryo had very nice detail. It was a little less spacious sounding than some of the cords below. It was balanced overall with good bass and nice treble but lacked the punch of some of the others listed below also. Overall it was a good choice though, if not the best.

Black Max Extreme Power - Silver Ref MK II also had a smooth presentation. I think this is an older cord that has been replaced in their lineup, so you could probably get a good deal on it used. It had a lilttle less detail than those below, but was similar to but also better than the White Lightening cable, as you would expect of a cord higher up in the line.  It was very similar to the Asylum cord, if a bit less dynamic overall.

Volex Asylum Cord is definitely an overachiever and a cost effective solution for a system. There's been lots of notes and reviews of these cables over at Audio Asylum. It is a DIY recipe, and as such, doesn't cost much to make. There's no soldering involved either, so anyone can make them. Overall, it has good punch and dynamics, with plenty of top end space. A very balanced presentation. It definitely holds its own against the others in this list, although it was a little less detailed and spacious than the BS MK V, below (as was everything else also).

MAC HC Sound Pipe is another very affordable and overachieving cable that I found to be very transparent to the source. It  has all of the attributes of the Volex Cord but was a little lighter sounding than the Tsunami Plus. It is very flexible, and, did I already say this is one great bargain for its price?

Acoustic Zen Tsunami Plus has good detail, air and punch. It might be a little more laid back than the Volex cord though (although this was not true on the Butler amp). The bass is tight and tuneful and powerful. This is a fatt, stiff bugger though, so make sure you have enough room to make a bend if you need to.

Black Sand Silver Reference MK V was very different from all of the other cords here. It was noticeably more detailed everywhere, top-mid-bottom. It had good, deep tight bass and was a bit lively on the top end. Not light, but balanced. It absolutely pulls out more details and punch than the others. It is more forward sounding though, so be aware that it may be overkill on a bright sounding system. It is very flexible and easy to place, as are all the BS cables. This would most definitely be my choice on my system, if I could keep it. But I have to return it to Chris. It is not what I would call inexpensive either, at $500 plus.

Kaplan Cables Copper has expanded my horizons and opened my eyes quite a bit. The old adage "it lifted a veil that I didn't know was there" was all too true. I tried boththe copper and rhodium and liked the copper in all places except for the phono stage. There the rhodium was best. Biggest noticeable difference for me was on the amp, but it also made a nice but more subtle improvement on the DAC. Overall there was more of a sense of air and soundateging present, with a lowering of the noise floor. Just space and more space with great dynamics and extension all around with just no grunge or haze at all. Here's a link to another review by NatureBoy: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65711.0

now my perceptions of these cords on sources (where things change up a bit) ...

Bob
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2009, 05:55 pm by BobM »

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2008, 04:13 pm »
I tried each of these on both my Hagerman Trumpet phono stage and the Zhaolu 2.5C DAC. The comments are mostly the same for each, unless specified otherwise. I don't know if these cords are more appropriate to power amps than sources (per the manufacturers), but since I had them on hand and was in the switching mood I gave it a shot.

Cheap stock power cord - noticeably less of everything, everywhere. Definitely try something else if you are using these.

Harmonic Tech Pro-AC 11 was open & balanced, if a little flat dynamically. It was a bit rolled off on the top.

Acoustic Zen Tsunami wouldn't fit into the AC slot on my phono stage, but on digital I would say it was a little laid back. It doid produce good depp tuneful bass though. But it's stiffness and weight are a concern with light components.

DH Labs Power Plus was dark overall. OK, but not great on the phono stage. Better on digital with good bass and detailed dynamics, but still on the dark and slightly rolled off side compared to others below.

VH Audio Flavor 2 Cryo was OK, but not great on the phono stage, sounding mostly flat and uninvolving. It was better on digital with good dynamics, but perhaps a tad sharp sounding.

Black Sand Silver Reference MK V was the polar opposite on sources than it was on the amps. It has a nice rounded tone, but a bit polite and dark. Not at all what I would have expected. Go figure!

Black Sand Extreme Power White Lightening was open with decent punch. It was very close to the BS Silver Ref MK II cable, which had just a little more of everything, especially those pesky inner details.

Black Sand Extreme Power Silver Ref MK II was open and balanced. It has good punch and detail.It would be my favorite on sources except for the next 2 cords.

MAC HC Sound Pipe was even better on source components and would be my choice here but for the Volex Cord, below. It only lacked a little bloom and soundstage compared to the Volex cord. Overall a  very high achiever for the price, and a true bargain against the competition.

Volex/Belden Asylum Cord was definitely more open on the top than the others. It has good punch and dynamics, bringing more life to the music and making my foot tap. It was balanced overall and airy, projecting a better soundstage and stable imaging than the others. This is my top pick on sources and an incredible bargain overall, as many of you already know.  :thumb:

UPDATE - Kaplan Cables Rhodium is now affixed to my phono stage. It added a bit more sparkle and bass slam overall than the Kaplan copper. Again, a lowering of the noise floor and an overall openness were the true selling points. I am using the copper on my DAC, since the Rhodium there let through some perceived digital harshness.

Well, that's about it. I'm tired and my ears are shot. So are my knees and back from jumping around and moving things in and out of the system. So what did I end up with ...

The Acoustic Zen Tsunami replaced the Volex cord on my amp (although I would trade it for a BS MK V if one happened to find it's way to me at a discount  :wink:) and the Asylum cords stayed on my sources.

I hope you found this informative. There are certainly many, many other cords out there to choose from. I was not surprised to find that the differences were noticeable, if subtle overall. If I were to venture into my listening room with any of these cords in my system I doubt that I could say which one was in there and be satisfied with the sound overall for a short period, although over a longer session I think I would pick out those that were dark sounding in favor of one that was more open and involving.

Enjoy,
Bob
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2009, 05:55 pm by BobM »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2008, 07:43 pm »
Good job on the review! :thumb: Do you have a link for the Volex/Belden Asylum Cord?

Thanks,

Roy

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2008, 12:51 am »
There's a bunch of info over at www.audioasylum.com but here's a few links to some info. You'll have to do a bit more searching through the posts to get all the details though.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/messages/2/20871.html
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/messages/1/16090.html

There's also a pre made version of this cable over at www.diycable.com for $89, here: http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=100

Enjoy,
Bob

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2008, 12:57 am »
Bob, thanks for making so many trips back and forth to the equipment rack!! 

jmc207

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2008, 02:02 am »
There's also a good how-to on the Bob Crump (Asylum) Power Cord at:

http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/bobcrump_pc/page01.htm

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2008, 05:10 am »
Bob....

Thanks for taking the time to listen and review the cables and amps....nice job !!! :thumb:

Chris

( p.s....Looking forward to your Walmart Patio Cord comments.... :wink: )

Gordy

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2008, 10:44 am »
Excellent review Bob, I've always liked the Volex's and the price worked especially well. When I bought my first package of 6 they were only $4.88 each!  I have them hard wired to 4 of my components at this point, though only one has an after market plug. I guess I'll be picking up some of the P&S plugs to try, thanks!

Jon L

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2008, 03:35 pm »
Excellent review Bob, I've always liked the Volex's and the price worked especially well. When I bought my first package of 6 they were only $4.88 each!  I have them hard wired to 4 of my components at this point, though only one has an after market plug. I guess I'll be picking up some of the P&S plugs to try, thanks!

Where did you get the 6 pack?  Are they Volex or Belden 19364?

BobM

« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2008, 03:42 pm »
My cords have been around for quite a while, purchased from Belden. I think the production facilities have changed with the Volex name, and perhaps the composition of the cables themselves, from some accounts. I cannot speak for the new cables, only the older, original version.

Bob

saisunil

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2008, 03:53 pm »
Nice review!

I think Signal cables are considered to have the wire sourced from Belden as well - no wonder it performs so well at an affordable price.
BTW Blue Jeans Cables are (the only?) authorized Belden cable manufactureres and it is a great performer at really cheap price. I have a bunch of them that I use for A/B testing.

Cheers

mcullinan

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2008, 03:57 pm »
Great review Bob. Good to see you have been working hard. I think I am sensing some upgrade fever.
Mike

Mike B.

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2008, 04:44 pm »
Good job. Evaluating a bunch of cords is a demanding process. Nice to see Bob Crump's contribution do so well. It would be interesting if you added one of his later commercial offerings in the mix.

GregN

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2008, 01:21 am »
BTW Blue Jeans Cables are (the only?) authorized Belden cable manufactureres and it is a great performer at really cheap price. I have a bunch of them that I use for A/B testing.

Cheers

They don't make power cables though. They even go so far as to say that power cables aren't important and as such, don't feel it would be justifiable to sell them.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/doeswirematter.htm

Absent some sort of known malfunction, there's very little reason to think that replacement of control or power cables will improve your system's performance at all.  There have been a lot of strange claims made in recent years about power cords, and people paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars for them; but the fact is that a power cord, so long as it's well-constructed and undamaged, correctly sized for the load, and driving a reasonably well-designed power supply, should make no difference whatsoever to the sound of your system.  The same goes for these other non-signal cables.  If they seem to be working, don't mess with them.

GregN

« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2008, 01:25 am »
There's also a good how-to on the Bob Crump (Asylum) Power Cord at:

http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/bobcrump_pc/page01.htm

Apparently, this method requires soldering. Boo Hiss. Molten metal in my hands is not a good combo.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2008, 01:29 am »

...well-designed power supply...

thats assuming a lot right there... theres an active thread in the Bryston circle, apparently their amps either come with very good power cords, or their power supplies are well-designed enough that it doesn't matter. Anyway, most equipment does seem to respond to power cord upgrades.

Dave

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2008, 02:11 am »
their power supplies are well-designed enough that it doesn't matter.

I believe Nelson Pass stated the same thing about the Aleph.  A pricey NBS did nothing for mine, but that was the only aftermarket PC I tried on it.

reflex

• Look & Listen Mobile, Alabama
« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2008, 02:16 am »

They don't make power cables though. They even go so far as to say that power cables aren't important and as such, don't feel it would be justifiable to sell them.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/doeswirematter.htm

Absent some sort of known malfunction, there's very little reason to think that replacement of control or power cables will improve your system's performance at all.  There have been a lot of strange claims made in recent years about power cords, and people paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars for them; but the fact is that a power cord, so long as it's well-constructed and undamaged, correctly sized for the load, and driving a reasonably well-designed power supply, should make no difference whatsoever to the sound of your system.  The same goes for these other non-signal cables.  If they seem to be working, don't mess with them.
[/quote]

That belief alone would cause me to never consider listening to much of anything they say, or purchase any of their cables, since I would have to doubt their ability to hear the right things during cable design.  I've heard pretty substantial improvements when upgrading pc's and differences in every one I've compared.  Maybe it's the resolution of my system and it's ability to reveal the differences.