Eichmann vs Eichmann

Euterpe

Eichmann vs Eichmann
« on: 4 Jul 2006, 06:52 pm »
Marc Philip, editor, www.magazine-audio.com

We’ve taken our time, but all things come to him who waits, so here are our first impressions of the face-off between

the Eichmann Silver Bullet plugs at $145 for a set of four

and

the Eichmann Copper Bullet plugs at $55 for a set of four.

Yes indeed, we were all very curious to find out if there were a difference that could justify the price spread between these two products.

Without further ado, the answer is: yes, there is a difference.

How did we do the test?

We used the same cable for the two sets of interconnects we made up. This cable is no longer on the market, so we have eliminated one commercial consideration which might have influenced our judgment, and possibly yours as well.

The cable in question is a 1.5 mm Tork, a Swiss-made, copper and silver Teflon-insulated multistrand. It was used in industry up to a few years ago. I know this cable perfectly, having used it often over ten years; it appears to have no major defects and still makes a very good interconnect, one that can even contend with some of today’s market leaders.

We used the same solder type, each cable was the same 70 cm length and there was no break-in period allowed; time will take care of that.

Once the cords were ready, we plugged them into our system :

Sources

Proceed Madrigal PCD 2 upgraded with OPA 627 op amps and rhodium IEC socket

Preamp

SIMA P 2001 upgraded with rhodium IEC socket

Amplifiers

CRIMSON 500 series monoblocks, 80 wpc solid-state

Speakers

Monsoon FPF 1000 hybrids, upgraded: crossover components all replaced with premium versions (Capa Mundorf Silver & OIl), crossover mounted externally on three points.

Cables

Speaker cables are XSymphony Pure Silver with rhodium connectors, and one pair of Eichman Express Six serie II.

Power cables are XSymphony Silver Triton SE with rhodium connectors.

Power line treatment

Three separate AC lines from the panel entry in 4 x 10 ga. BX cable, with one breaker per line. 20 amp double receptacle on each. One Furutech RTP-6N box on the digital section.

Rack, shelves and furniture

AMADEUS tripod shelf system from the Marc Philip Design inovaudio line.

Listening room

4.9 metres x 3.53 metres, painted gyproc walls and ceiling (BA13 or plaster panels)

Acoustic treatment

Type 2D vertical and horizontal diffuser panels by inovaudio design

Results

We’re still in the first four hours of play, so we have to temper our impressions a bit since the cables are new. Still, we notice immediately that each cable has its own characteristic sound. And it’s here that our opinions diverge, since one of us liked one cable and one liked the other.

The Copper Bullet Plugs are forward in the lower mids; the bass is brought out as well, warm and smooth. The voices are very acceptable, neither too prominent nor too laid back. The soundstage is narrow, though, or at least it never extends beyond the speakers. Depth is good. My wife prefers these plugs; she thinks the sound is more analog-like and she likes the rounded bass. She’s more of a tube-lover than I am.

With the Silver Bullet Plugs, the different frequency ranges are in balance. The instruments fall into place and the soundstage opens up right-left and top-to-bottom.
Right away we notice the tight bass, excellent highs, and voices perfectly placed at the right height.
The soundstage expands beyond the limits of the speakers.
What I notice the most, though, is the feeling that there is more air between the voices and instruments (the same impression I had, in favour of the Eichmanns, when we compared the Copper Bullets with the WBT copies).
Against expectation, I note no “silver” aggressiveness.

These are the first steps in a comparison which will be continued, and which will include trials outside our listening room along with some more scientific measurements.

I went a step further and made up a pair of Tork (modulation) interconnects with Furutech Rhodium Filament connectors... I’ll need a little more time with these before I tell you about them.

They cost the same as the Silver Bullets, at $145 a set of four.

The disc library for these listening sessions:

Andrea Zonn, "Better be home Soon", FIM edition
Sofia Petersson, "Can't take my eyes off you", FIM edition
Vincent Bidal Trio, "La bohème", Passavant edition
Xavier Martin, "Scène de la vie pastorale", Passavant edition

Until next time, happy listening!

Canadian distributor

Europroducts Marketing, Ltd
Manager : Derek Coates
720 Sixth Street, Suite 386
New Westminster, British Columbia,
Canada. V3L 3C5