Aussie in the Silicon Valley

Decky

Aussie in the Silicon Valley
« on: 16 Feb 2018, 09:20 am »
Just to say hello  :D. I am still in the land down under and currently without any audio gear worth mentioning. The reason is that I sold it all and currently waiting for my work visa - hopefully soon joining fellow audiophiles in the Bay area. Looking forward to CA sun and starting my audio journey from zero again.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Aussie in the Silicon Valley
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2018, 01:06 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Decky.  :beer:

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2018, 01:15 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, Decky.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2018, 03:08 pm »
Welcome to AC!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2018, 05:20 pm »
Welcome aboard Decky :thumb:
Do you like tube amps?

Decky

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2018, 11:25 pm »
Thanks for all the welcomes.

Tubes - that is difficult topic. I am coming to audio from a DIY perspective. I worked with tubes and taking all pros and cons - I am sticking personally with solid state. This is purely from engineering point of view. I cannot comment of subjective perception of sound  :wink:

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2018, 02:07 am »
So...you wanna do the entire system as DIY as possible or just the speakers?

Decky

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2018, 09:59 pm »
I used to do DIY with everything but the speakers :). Started with cables and moved to amps, DACs, transports, preamps. I did some speaker designs and upgrades but that required tools and space that I did not have. I then started representing an Australian brand that makes high-end gear, mainly focused on active systems. I ended up using their active speakers in the main system and focused my DIY skills on the second system.

Now since I am free of any existing audio gear I might go down to the basics and start from a small set-up, do a bit of upgrading here and there, depending on time and space again. Housing seems to be an issue in the Bay area so I am not sure how much space for audio I will end up having. Exciting times!