One dual H frame instead of two?

guf

One dual H frame instead of two?
« on: 1 Dec 2017, 03:44 am »
Could I get away with building one dual OB H frame (or W) and place it in the center of my speakers? I also have a sealed GR rythmik sub. 2 dual H frames would really impose on my near field set up. Although its not out of the question.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Re: One dual H frame instead of two?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2017, 04:27 am »
One would probably do. I have two but I have room.  I know in the past with some other subs, one would get turned off and I wouldn't notice.  Just keep the crossover point low.  You also could easily use them in the place of your speaker stands and fit 2 in there without really changing the speaker footprint.  Nice doggie, by the way.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2017, 04:29 am »
Yes you can use a single H-Frame. It won't be as full nor in stereo but it can be done. However you have a bigger issue to deal with. Open baffle subs, like open baffle speakers, need to be at least 3ft. away from the front wall (into the room) to work properly.  From the picture it doesn't look like you have the necessary room.

guf

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2017, 05:06 am »
hmmmm... yeah the drivers of the speakers are at 3 feet now. If I used dual 12s as the stands it seems to place the speakers a little too high. My current stands ( not pictured )  are at 16 inches with a slight tilt up. Could the dual H frame be played horizontal? Or build a wall of sound with the 2 vertical H frames in the center? But that would mess with my imaging?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2017, 06:59 am »
They can be laid horizontal. A W frame would be shorter but still taller than 16” if I remember correctly.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2017, 04:29 pm »
Yeah, just lay the pair on their sides in the H frame.

You need to get them out into the room though. 3 feet is a minimum.

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2017, 10:53 pm »
and if yo uuse  1.5"   or laminate  2 .75"   sheets for side panels, you'll get  exactly  16' tall  when  on their sides  (horizonatal).
I actually ran  1 dual 12 h-frame for a while.   It works but going to  2 of them   made a huge difference both in  fullness and  in soundstage

jay