Altec modified Model 19 speaker project

Loud and Clear

Altec modified Model 19 speaker project
« on: 30 Nov 2017, 02:18 pm »
Hello,

This website came up while doing a search on this project and I would like to hear from members that can pass along some recommendations or suggestions.  Having always enjoyed the high efficiency and horn loaded speakers from the 1970's, I'm looking to build a modified Altec Model 19 speaker.

As great as the Model 19 cabinet looks, the double bin configuration would be more of a challenge to build, the foot print larger than I would like and the 811b horn is positioned lower than I prefer.  The Altec 620 enclosure, with the recommended slightly smaller port for a 416 woofer (vs. the typical 604 speaker used in it) to serve as the bass cabinet would provide the right internal volume and give the height I'd prefer to set the 811b on top.

Any comments on using the 620 with Model 19 components would be appreciated.

Alternatives to the HF components I have read favorable comments on include the BMS 4550 compression driver used either on the 811b or SEOS-15 wave guide.  If any one has experience with those or has some used ones they are interested in selling, please let me know.

The speakers would be driven by a modified Dynaco ST70 for that familiar and favorite tube sound. 

I look forward to any help or comments.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Altec modified Model 19 speaker project
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2017, 04:09 pm »
Welcome Loud and Clear.  I just finished a rebuild of the very similar Altec Valencias a month ago.  After you get a few post, you can use the PM system (3post? 5post?)  Send me a PM and we'll chat about what I did to mine.  Not all will apply to the 19, but some will. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2017, 05:27 pm »
Welcome Loud and Clear :thumb:
(3 post)

Loud and Clear

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2017, 06:25 pm »
S Clark,

Valencias where the very speaker that introduced me to the Altec sound after Klipsch and some JBL's with horns got me favoring the dynamics they could produce.  Still learning the guidelines, buy will look forward to hearing what worked for you.

Thanks for the post. 

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2017, 03:16 am »
Hello and welcome to AC, Loud and Clear!  If you can share your build we'll all be there to drool over it with you from beginning to end!  :drool:  :lol:

Loud and Clear

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2017, 12:54 pm »
Thanks for the "welcome" replies.  Always nice to have a winter project to look forward to.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2017, 02:22 pm »
Welcome!

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2017, 06:30 pm »
We will need PICTURES!   Lots and lots of pictures.  Looking forward to seeing what you do - I often think of doing something like this.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2017, 02:11 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Loud and Clear   :thumb: