Voice control mute for television?

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Voice control mute for television?
« on: 18 Oct 2017, 02:13 pm »
I just can't take it anymore. We don't watch a lot of tv but I do watch the news shows while cooking and often find myself running into the living room to prevent some doctor from telling me about the new disease I might now have or some millenial telling me about the new truck I just need to buy to haul my grocerys in or the new catheter that's made with me in mind. I just can't take these vile and pernicious ads any longer. Please, please, please tell me that you've incorporated voice mute functionality for tv into your system and how you did it.

Logitech Harmony now - supposedly - works with Alexa, but apparently it's still a bit buggy. Is there anything else? And Alexa/tvs are supposedly on the horizon.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/13/logitechs-harmony-alexa-skill-now-simplifies-home-theater-voice-control/

My thanks in advance,
Lester

"Constantly buying new stereo gear?? Feeling a bit light in the wallet? Why you have all the symptons of audiophilia upgraditis! Ask your doctor now about Unconsciousa and what Unconsciousa can do for you. Call today. I mean it! Call today!"

Don_S

Re: Voice control mute for television?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2017, 02:29 pm »
If I can't afford Unconsciousa can I receive financial assistance. 

Lester, you forgot to speed read all the possible side affects like liver rot, clotting, excessive bleeding, allergic reactions, hair loss, unwanted hair growth, and possible death. The noon news here is dominated by Somnibella. If you find a solution please share.  I would like to voice mute the commercials because they are at a higher average volume level than the programming.  I frequently mute just because of the volume.  Ironic that advertisers who want us to hear their ads encourage us to mute them because they are annoyingly loud.  :duh: I can use my remote but frequently I am doing other things (in the kitchen) and do not have the remote handy.  Besides, it would be more satisfying to shout back at the TV "SHUT THE **** UP!"  :no_speak: :rotflmao:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2017, 03:00 pm »
Remember if you scream too loud at a remote you could cause this kind of damage :green:http://www.utswmedicine.org/stories/articles/year-2016/vocal-cords-care.html

Here's a short article on TV brand specific remotes - https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/09/clickers-for-many-tvs-get-much-slicker/index.htm

Some cable providers I understand have their own voice remotes.

WGH

youravhandyman

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2017, 02:28 pm »
The URC total control system has Alexa integration that you could use for this purpose as I'm sure other control companies like RTI, SAVANT and Control4 do as well.
I can think of a "techy" z-wave solution using home automation and the multi-function button from Fibaro but can't really suggest anything that is ready to go off the shelf.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2017, 02:56 pm »
In this age of dominant misinformation I choose to avoid all TV news.

Noam Chomsky pointed out rather sagely a few years back that television is not intended to bring useful news and information to viewers but rather to deliver an audience to the advertisers. How can you argue against that assertion? And why have you failed to heed his warning? The programming is all advertising designed to sell you a position or a product.

After shutting out TV and then seeing it again, I realized just how foolish I had been in tolerating the ads in the first place. I don't want that crap in my house and the television is, by far, it's primary point of entry.

At my house we watch Netflix all year and add in some football on Sundays between Sept. and Early Feb. Might see a World Series game and might watch World Cup Soccer every four years. That's enough.

BTW, here's a Netflix option I saw recently. It's a comical and thought provoking look at the pros and cons of legal marijuana and the formation of The Cannabist by The Denver Post. The video is called "Rolling Papers".

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2017, 08:35 pm »
I have long been a MUTE advocate. 

I am openly made fun of in my house for how I fly off the handle when others are watching a show and don't mute the ads.

I hate listening to ads.  I can stomach that they "need" to be on, but typically just ignore them when muted.  It is the only way I can watch pro sports in high definition for the most part.

Netflix is useful.  KODI boxes too.

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2017, 12:25 am »
The negativity and bs has me too. I mute everything not pertaining to what I want to digest.  I watched a football game last weekend with audio off and my system playing some nice jazz.  Different but bliss at commercial time which seems to be far too often.  Also the pharma ads are ridiculous.  10 secs- you are cured!, 40secs- this will probably kill you followed by 10 secs- consult your Dr..   Geeze. Mute I use a lot and "last channel" which is usually on music or something commercial free.  No wonder Redzone is so popular.......

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2017, 03:43 pm »
Eureka! Ok, we figured it out (and of course when I say ‘we’ I actually mean my wife) and it’s a slightly pricey fix but after the tv asked me if I was worried that my moderate to severe projectile diarrhea was affecting my love life, I decided enough was enough. So we, I mean my wife, added a Logitech Harmony remote to Alexa. Now with a simple command of “Alexa, mute”, Alexa mutes the tv. And it works wherever there’s an Echo unit; I can tell the kitchen Echo to mute the tv in the living room. There’s a slight delay of a second or two because for some reason Alexa has to answer “OK” but other than that it works well. It will control other functions too as described below.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915-000239-Harmony-Companion-Remote/dp/B00N3RFC4G/ref=sr_1_5?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1513254485&sr=1-5&keywords=harmony+hub

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-logitech-harmony-amazon-alexa-echo/

Cheers,
Lester