A370PEQ as replacement for older Genesis APM1 plate amp?

dschur

I'm trying to replace 2 failed Genesis APM1 plate amps with the 15" Ryhmik custom install kits that use the A370PEQ amp.  This kit (amp/driver) can fit the existing Genesis cabinet with minimal cabinet modification.  Issue is lack of knowledge on electronic circuits and need to somehow integrate the Genesis mid/tweeter with the A370PEQ?  Can anyone recommend a contact that might be willing to do the electronics integration work?

jparkhur

Re: A370PEQ as replacement for older Genesis APM1 plate amp?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2017, 12:28 am »
They are not the same. Your best bet to make positive is to email Brian D at Rythmik but if you search it there are few explanations to the " not same"

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2017, 02:25 am »
Welcome to AC!

Norman Tracy

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2017, 03:31 pm »
Much as I want to support vendors like GR Research (I do not see Rythmik listed) who help sponsor AudioCircle I believe you are better served with support from Genesis. Orphaned products are a constant issue in the High-End. When a company survives and goes the extra mile to support older models rather than declare after X years no support it is worth rewarding them with your business, IMHO.

http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/upgrades.html

Quoting from the above link:

Plate Amplifier Upgrades

The G500, G501 and APM-1 were among the most popular models from the old company. Unfortunately, as these speakers approach 15 years in age, their “hearts” are no longer pumping the bass. Some of the parts of the ancient Class D amplifiers used in the plate amplifier are no longer available making repair impossible if not extremely difficult.

Hence, we adapted the plate amplifier of the current model G5.3 for these older speakers. They are not just a repair, but a full upgrade to the bass system. As a happy customer noted, “Spending the money for the new amps was a hard pill to swallow when I thought I was just going to get my old speakers back but that's not what happened. I got a new and much better pair of speakers from the upgrade and that was not expected.”

http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/g5p3.html

dschur

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2017, 03:14 pm »
Thanks to all that replied to my question.  Norman, I followed up with Genesis (new company) and I think your suggestion is most appropriate.  Only concern is cost for their upgrade is $5k!  Given that the speakers are 15 yrs old does it make sense with todays technology to invest in this upgrade?  Any opinions?