Mussorgsky 'Pictures' recommendations?

dB Cooper

Mussorgsky 'Pictures' recommendations?
« on: 30 Jul 2017, 06:38 pm »
Looking for recommendations for your favorite versions of Moussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition'. There's a lot of versions on Tidal (including an arrangement for two marimbas and the venerable Tomita analog-synth version. Helpful if recommended version can be found there.  Tend to prefer digitally mastered recordings and simple miking approaches (á la Telarc) but would depart from those criteria for the right performance. Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2017, 12:36 pm by dB Cooper »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Moussorgsky 'Pictures' recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2017, 06:51 pm »
Aside w/a Classical Karajan version the ELP prog rock version is mandatory.
On Tomita the 1970s Planets are a ''classic'' stuff on progrock.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2017, 07:01 pm »
I had the Tomita on vinyl way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I figured the von K version was worth a listen too.

rbbert

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2017, 10:17 pm »
Do you mean the commonly recorded Ravel orchestration of Moussorgsky's piano suite, the original piano version, or some other version (e.g., Tomita's, ELP's, or a different orchestration)?

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2017, 11:04 pm »
I like the Telarc Cleveland Orchestra version.

For the piano version, I highly recommend the Barry Douglas performance on the RCA label... http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/mussorgsky-pictures-at-an-exhibition-mr0002688730

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2017, 11:14 pm »
Do you mean the commonly recorded Ravel orchestration of Moussorgsky's piano suite, the original piano version, or some other version (e.g., Tomita's, ELP's, or a different orchestration)?
In the 90s I was familiar w/the Piano arrangement, I sold that CD because it is a music of difficult appreciation, its not luxuriant as the orchestral arrangement.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2017, 12:12 am »
The commonly recorded Ravel orchestration primarily (although the two marimbas version and the 'Piano Guys' version seem interesting from the parts I've heard). The Tomita version is amusing but sounds rather dated to me. Would like to get to know about the piano versions too, though; in learning more about the composition, apparently that was the original intention.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2017, 10:53 am by dB Cooper »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2017, 12:46 am »
Presently available in vinyl only, unfortunately. This is a fiendishly difficult piece to perform on classical guitar. Its amazing that it can be performed with the emotion and skill that Yamashita exhibits...pun not intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwmljH41B1Q
Too bad the SQ on this video is not so good.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2017, 12:52 am »
The Tomita version is amusing but sounds rather dated to me.
No defect, think it as vintage.

rpf

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2017, 01:01 am »
The Karajan is great. Also very good are Dorati and Reiner. One of my favorites is Stokowski/New Philharmonia on a Decca Phase Four disc. Stokowski did the orchestration r/t using the Ravel and it sounds more Russian. The conducting, playing and sound are all excellent. I have to hear the Maazel/Cleveland.

For the piano version, Horowitz is probably my favorite but the sound is old. Likewise the Richter. Wonny Song does a very good job in much better sound.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2017, 01:59 am »
The von Karajan is my symphonic version go-to. I've been studying the 1922 Bauer piano transcription for about a year and a half, but that is a different story.

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2017, 10:43 am »
No defect, think it as vintage.
I do think of it that way. Actually listened to some of it the other day.

Label/release number info helpful for locating specific releases- for instance, the Cleveland orchestra has a disc out with Maazel conducting and another with Szell.

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2017, 12:34 pm »
Aaaannnddd... turns out there's both the Ravel and Stokowski orchestrations (and maybe others, for all I know). Stokowski apparently thought the Ravel orchestration sounded 'too French'. The Stokowski seems to be much more elaborate, which in a way is pleasing to the ear but perhaps further from the original piano intention.

When I'm at an art exhibit, if I were to hear 'music in my head', it would probably tend more towards small ensemble type stuff, so maybe I should focus on the piano version. I will check out the Maazel/Cleveland and von K versions though, and again, the German Marimba Duo version pleases me. Some purists might flinch, but to me, musical is musical, and it certainly is more intimate than the big orchestral interpretations.

rpf

Re: Mussorgsky 'Pictures' recommendations?
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2017, 02:05 pm »
Has anyone heard this guitar quartet arrangement?

rpf

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2017, 02:07 pm »
Also, the Dorati mentioned above is coupled with the piano version by Byron Janis.

Dmason

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2017, 02:35 pm »
Von Karajan symphonic, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and you have two great interpretations.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2017, 02:57 pm »
My primary benchmark CD is Telarc's recording of Maazel conducting the Cleveland Orchestra on Ravel's arrangement of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition".  It was actually the 1st CD I purchased in the spring of '84.  The 2nd CD I purchased was I Robot.

The local Symphony is kicking off their 2017-2018 season in the fall with Pictures followed by  Carmina Burana in October.  It should be a fun evening!

HsvHeelFan

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2017, 03:55 pm »
Has anyone heard this guitar quartet arrangement?

I'm definitely going to look into that. Thanks.

jimtranr

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2017, 09:50 pm »
The analog-mastered RCA Reiner/CSO remains my favorite performance of the Ravel orchestration. Reissued as an SACD several years ago. The Stokowski never struck me as a more "Russian" reading, but rather as simply more gimmicked to suit Stokie's (and perhaps the recording producer's) taste.