Spoon

Syrah

Spoon
« on: 5 Jul 2017, 11:02 pm »
I just came back from seeing them live in Paris.  It was my first Spoon show after having been a fan for years.

Wow.

What really blew me away (other than, well everything) was their timing.  I don't thing I've seen a rock band that had such tight timing live.  They came in like a tight crash and ended with stone cold silence.

And Brit Daniel has the best rock voice ever.  To Trump it up - period, end of story.

I knew they started life (much like REM) as an indie band performing live, night after night after night.  So I knew I was likely not in for disappointment and I had extremely high expectations.

They were met, and then some.

If you like Spoon, make a point of trying to see them live.  It is something else.

Phil A

Re: Spoon
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2017, 11:04 pm »
Thanks - have one of their albums and need to look at more.

Brettio

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2017, 11:14 pm »
I had been lukewarm to them but now they're one of my favorites. I'll see them live as soon as possible!

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2017, 11:41 pm »
I just got into them a couple of years , falling in love with their previous album!!!
How is the new album ?
What other albums should I check out?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2017, 11:56 pm »
I just got into them a couple of years , falling in love with their previous album!!!
How is the new album ?
What other albums should I check out?

Iv'e heard two songs from their just released new album and they are both really good.

Thank's for the heads up on them as a live band, I will have to see them one of these days.

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2017, 09:56 pm »
Like their new album a lot. It has some nice changes in direction while still feeling very Spoon.

But their whole discography is so damn good. I'd recommend checking out the below in particular (but in no particular order):

Kill the Moonlight
Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Gimme Fiction
They Want My Soul
Hot Thoughts

Yeah, that hardly narrows it down, does it. Hmm, maybe start with Gimme Fiction and Ga Ga Ga. Oh wait, but Kill the Moonlight is so good.

Just binge 'em all, that's the best plan.

brother love

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2017, 10:25 pm »
Just binge 'em all, that's the best plan.

Sage advice. I'd recommend utilizing Spotify or Tidal to sample Spoon's impressive library. 

A very tight band. I'm most partial to Kill the Moonlight & Gimme Fiction. I recall them doing Austin City Limits after the release of Gimme Fiction. Well worth watching.

Syrah

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2017, 07:57 pm »
Yeah, pretty tough to go wrong.  But a Sophie's Choice of desert island picks, I think I'd be a contrarian in preferring their newer material with the possible exception of their most recent album.

I'd go,

1. Transference.
2. They Want My Soul

And it gets a bit equal after that.  I really love those two albums.  To my ears, they have a bit more consistency and depth.  But I'm sure whatever is the last album I've listened to I would swear is their best.

I'd like to spend more time with their most recent album (Hot Thoughts) great title track but I'm not so sure about the rest of it.

Enjoy.

The great thing about loving these awesome indie bands is that you don't need to watch them in row 400 on a video monitor.  They followed very much the route of a band like REM, which is why they're so awesome in concert - they've done it a few times, and earned it.

Almost without exception, everyone I've introduced to Spoon loves them.  Don't break my streak!

Syrah

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2017, 08:00 pm »
Oh, and for whatever it's worth, metacritic did a meta score of reviews and concluded that Spoon were the most consistent, most critically acclaimed band among reviewers of the last decade.

If you're like me, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  But hey, fun fact.

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2017, 08:19 pm »
Yeah, pretty tough to go wrong.  But a Sophie's Choice of desert island picks, I think I'd be a contrarian in preferring their newer material with the possible exception of their most recent album.

I'd go,

1. Transference.
2. They Want My Soul

And it gets a bit equal after that.  I really love those two albums.  To my ears, they have a bit more consistency and depth.  But I'm sure whatever is the last album I've listened to I would swear is their best.

Funny, those 2 are probably the albums I've listened to the least and have been least drawn to. But your post is motivating me to go back and revisit them. Viva Spoon!

brother love

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2017, 10:48 pm »
This band is so good & the compositions are so clean yet complex, many songs/ albums that initially don't grab you, will certainly do so after repeated listening (probably more than any band that I can recall).  Take "You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb" from Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. I initially considered it lightweight & filler, but it was different than their usual stuff & needed to grow on me. The tasteful horns & that  crescendo at the end now make it a fun favorite.