One More Burson Cable + Review

I.Greyhound Fan

One More Burson Cable + Review
« on: 3 Jul 2017, 03:31 am »
Burson also contacted me about doing a review for their new cable.  I choose the Cable Plus IC.

This is a preliminary review as I have only tried the cable in a secondary system between my Pass Labs B1 preamp and my Parasound A21 amp replacing a Tara Labs RSC IC  (I am going to try it in my main system between my Phono preamp and BAT Preamp next Friday and will post a review and pictures then).  The remainder of the system consists of an Emotiva Big Ego DAC with a Jitter Bug, speakers are Wharfedale 10.2's and a Velodyne sub.  The Music Player is Bug Head version 6.88.  Other cables are an AQ Cinnamon USB and an AQ Golden Gate mini RCA to RCA.

To tell the truth, I was not expecting much from the Burson IC but I was pleasantly surprised. I played various high quality recordings such as Ann Bisson's- Blue Mind, Pat Metheny's- What's It All About, London Grammars-If You Wait and a few others.

Right off the bat my budding audiophile son and I noticed a blacker background which made things more clear and detailed.  Bass tightened up a bit and there was less bloom.  Cymbals were a little more forward and natural.  The overall tone was just a hint brighter but not in a bad way (but this system leans to the warm side quite a bit as the Pass B1 was built with parts to impart a warm, lush mid range).  There were no sibilants or glare.  One thing that we did notice was that there was a boost in gain or volume, somewhere between 3-5dB.  We did volume adjust the comparison cables so we were not comparing apples to oranges.  The boost in gain was nice since the Pass B1 has no gain and uncompressed recordings that were recorded at low volumes don't play very loud.

I will post another review and post pictures next weekend when I get a chance to try the Burson cable in my main system.

Cheers,

Larry

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: One More Burson Cable + Review
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2017, 01:43 am »
Here are pictures of the cables in use.

Please excuse the mess of cables.

Stercom

Re: One More Burson Cable + Review
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2017, 02:11 am »
Larry - I essentially came to the same conclusion. I've gone to the pro version and I'm using a battery powered supply for the buffer - both provide a step-up in sound quality. Overall, they are really good cables at any price but especially for the money.  I guess Burson's idea of giving away cables and asking for reviews is working out for them.