Notch Filter for Omega Speakers

roscoe65

Notch Filter for Omega Speakers
« on: 28 Jun 2017, 04:38 pm »
Over in the Cary Audio thread at Audioaficionado.com user BearcityUSA described an afternoon listening to a pair of Omega 7 monitors with Inspire SE amps.  He shared Dennis' opinion that they did much better with a notch filter to knock down the midrange and with a add-on supertweeter (rear-firing).  I am unsure of the vintage of the monitors.

Those opinions echo some around here, which are that the Omega's generally benefit from midbass to lower midrange reinforcement.  The notch filter accomplishes this by knocking down the midrange be more in balance with the bass, and the add-on supertweeter adds the high end sparkle and dispersion that some of us enjoy.  I would argue that the notch filter has a couple of disadvantages:  it lowers the overall sensitivity of the speaker, and it introduces a series capacitor at speaker level.

Calculators for notch filters can be found here:  http://www.mh-audio.nl/parallelnotchfilter.asp

However, if we own a separate amp and preamp, I think a better choice is the Bottlehead The Fix:  http://bottlehead.com/?product=the-fix

This is a line-level passive equalizer (i.e., tone control) that allows for both bass and treble boost.  It might be an interesting addition for single-driver omega speakers.  At $75, it is cheap enough to experiment with.

PaulF70

Re: Notch Filter for Omega Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2017, 11:38 pm »
What is BearcityUSA's room size?  Or Dennis'?

Room reinforcement is paramount regarding bass and mid-bass response for any speaker.

Omega speakers don't need notch filters, IMO.  I've owned countless wideband-driver speaker systems, most of them much more expensive than Omega's offerings, and these - or at least the Super 6 Alnico XRS which I now own - are among a select few that are properly balanced. 

Again, though, we're not talking about bass, which is highly room-dependent.