cart for a Project Carbon

linnlingo

cart for a Project Carbon
« on: 2 Mar 2017, 03:14 pm »
What is the most you would spend for a cart on a $600 Table? $300,$600, $1000?? :D

electricbear

Re: cart for a Project Carbon
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2017, 05:17 pm »
A great cartridge would be the Dynavector 20x2. It's mc but you can get it in the high output version that will allow you to run it into your mm stage. Probably my favorite sub $1000 cartridge. It lists for $995. According to the importer there is no sound degradation in using the high output version.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2017, 05:41 am »
On a Pro-ject Debut Carbon?  Probably not more than an Ortofon 2M Bronze ($440 list).  The PDC punches above it's price point, but at a certain point your better off saving up for the next step up.  Motor and arm are ok, but the plinth is what really lets it down.  Stock metal platter also rings like a bell (acrylic upgrade platter - standard on the Esprit) is a worthy upgrade.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2017, 01:34 pm »
Consider the Van Alstine-modified Grados, probably a real good match on many levels.

linnlingo

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2017, 12:59 am »
I was thinking of keeping the 2m Blue and adding a Lounge Audio phono. I currently have a $80 MM project phono. Would this be a better choice?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2017, 01:28 am »
I was thinking of keeping the 2m Blue and adding a Lounge Audio phono. I currently have a $80 MM project phono. Would this be a better choice?

No personal experience with that Lounge Audio pre - but reviews are interesting.

I'd personally make sure I have the acrylic platter upgrade and a good platform - such as the excellent and inexpensive Mapleshade ones - before proceeding with the phononstage upgrade.

Hogues

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2017, 01:32 am »

I have a blue on my second system and am very happy with it.  Personally, I wouldn't go any higher.  The nice thing about getting a good phono stage is that you can keep that if you ever decide to upgrade the TT.

cujobob

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2017, 08:26 pm »
Nagaoka MP-110 and be done with it, most likely. Maybe the higher end version of the same. A lot of the higher priced carts are not better carts.

jazzwave

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2017, 12:48 pm »
Nagaoka MP-110 and be done with it, most likely. Maybe the higher end version of the same. A lot of the higher priced carts are not better carts.

Do you consider MP-110 give better sound compare to 2M Blue on Project Carbon?
Thinking to upgrade my 2M Red as well , I'm looking for wider soundstage and little bit laid back sound.

~ron~

undertowogt1

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2017, 02:19 pm »
I upgraded to the Audio-Technica AT440MLa cartridge, it is now $279, I love it. Giant upgrade from the stock on my Project Debute II. No inner grove distortion now.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2017, 03:20 pm »
I would pick up a Nagaoka MP-150.  They can be had for $275.  I use a Nag MP-200 and love it.  I have it paired with a Thorens TD-145.  Nagaoka's have a warmer sound, full mid range and bass.  Very musical and dynamic. Wide sound stage with a lot of depth. Tolerant of surface noise.  Hi frequencies can be a little pushed back though.

The Nagaoka's are low compliace however and may not be a good fit for a low mass tone arm.  You may have resonance issues.

Here is a Cartridge Resonance evaluator tool-

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php

Other's to consider are the LP Gear AT95SA, Clear Audio Concept V2

Here is a nice review on 9 cartridges-

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/nine-cartridges-compared-reviewed-and-voting-results

rotarius

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2017, 05:42 pm »
Yes, the 2m blue will do just fine and I would not get something more expensive than that for this table.  If you want to try a different flavor, try an older Shure like M91 or M95.  As for phono preamps, I have the Pro-ject phono box S.  This is a very good piece for the money, in fact I found it to be much better than higher priced units.  Adjustable loading, solid bass and refined sound. 

orientalexpress

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2017, 07:46 pm »
a good pre amp ,here on AC Vista audio phono pre  :thumb: :thumb: