BDP-3

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-3
« Reply #20 on: 23 Feb 2017, 10:07 am »
HI James,

Cool. we've been asking for chances to a BDP-3 and you've always denied it would be anywhere close, just not planned, because not necessary. And yet here it is!
Would you care to shed some light on  “We had an opportunity to leverage some exciting new technologies in order to improve our flagship music player,”?

What are those technologies, and in what way do they leverage the specs of the BDP-2? Chris always emphasized usb3 and GB wifi weren't necessary at all given current file formats and (high) resolutions, so i wonder what could be the main driver for an update. Library size would be one aspect i could think of.. DSD isn't up specced ?

press releases state no real new possibilities over the BDP-2? other than the Streamlength protocol, which is just asynchronous usb? really in limbo just yet, still excited ;-) Which is what this hobby is all about isn't it?

Cheers,

Marius

HI

Yes the BDP-3 is something we decided on very recently and is really just a CPU circuit board that became available last month that Chris found.  So until recently we had no idea of any changes forthcoming.

We are going to offer this new CPU circuit board  as a retro fit to current BDP-2’s – I will let you know how that progresses.  The BDP-3 is still about 2 months away so we were just giving people lots of notice.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2017, 10:08 am »
Good question... DSD via AES/EBU sounds interesting...

From what I have been told DSD via AES is not legal - only USB?

james

Hoiman

« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2017, 10:27 am »
We are going to offer this new CPU circuit board  as a retro fit to current BDP-2’s

I just ordered one, does it get this new board?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 23 Feb 2017, 10:35 am »
I just ordered one, does it get this new board?

Hi

As long as you are willing to wait the 2 months call the dealer and have him change it to the BDP3.

James

Hoiman

« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2017, 10:36 am »
Hi
As long as you are willing to wait the 2 months call the dealer and have him change it to the BDP3.
James

I already asked him  :lol:

Grant Hill

« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2017, 10:47 am »

james

I'm not sure James... I think you are right but other digital players do that, so it must be possible. Maybe paying royalties to Sony? I'm just guessing...

Hoiman

« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2017, 11:28 am »
I already asked him  :lol:

So arranged, now waiting a little bit longer. Gladly the dealer will give me a loaner till this time  :thumb:.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2017, 01:25 pm »
James - will it do DoP (64) via AES/EBU (others do it like the Lumin U1 for example)? 

If you dac will accept DoP via spdif, then yes, even the BDP-2 with the Bryston IAD and perhaps even the original Juli@ could.  I've never tested it myself, but customers have reported that this configuration works.

Marius

« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2017, 01:31 pm »
sometimes even the good things come unexpected...  :thumb:

any news on the advantages if this new board, what new options would the user benefit from? What new functionality is on offer?

Cheers,
Marius

HI

Yes the BDP-3 is something we decided on very recently and is really just a CPU circuit board that became available last month that Chris found.  So until recently we had no idea of any changes forthcoming.

We are going to offer this new CPU circuit board  as a retro fit to current BDP-2’s – I will let you know how that progresses.  The BDP-3 is still about 2 months away so we were just giving people lots of notice.

james

Phil A

« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:19 pm »

james

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-aries-hardware-impressions-and-information-21261/index13.html

"Some DACs are limited to DoP via USB but this is a limitation of the DAC *not* a limitation of DoP."

http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard#.WK7vFzsrJaQ

"While this method is mainly targeted for USB links it is general enough to be applied to other PCM based links such as Firewire, AES/EBU, S/PDIF etc."

Phil A

« Reply #30 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:19 pm »
If you dac will accept DoP via spdif, then yes, even the BDP-2 with the Bryston IAD and perhaps even the original Juli@ could.  I've never tested it myself, but customers have reported that this configuration works.

Thanks - the DAC doesn't at the moment but it might in the future.

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:33 pm »

james

Here's another link - http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/what-is-dop-dsd-over-pcm/

Grant Hill

« Reply #32 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:58 pm »
What about the possibility to read ISO files?

Rod_S

« Reply #33 on: 23 Feb 2017, 04:55 pm »
HI

james

So if the BDP-2 upgrade happens, what would the actual BDP-3 be capable of at that point that the BDP-2 with the upgraded board can't do? Anything?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #34 on: 23 Feb 2017, 05:49 pm »
So if the BDP-2 upgrade happens, what would the actual BDP-3 be capable of at that point that the BDP-2 with the upgraded board can't do? Anything?

Generating new revenue $ for Bryston, I assume.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 23 Feb 2017, 06:09 pm »

It would be identical.

We have to change the main board and a new back panel as well as some cabling inside.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #36 on: 23 Feb 2017, 06:38 pm »
Thanks. I was wondering about the back panel because I can see from the pic in the S&V link it's different but it can't be zoomed in so I wasn't sure what the different inputs/outputs all were.

tomsenko

« Reply #37 on: 23 Feb 2017, 08:58 pm »
So with Roon there won't be any pops and clicks like on BDP-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 23 Feb 2017, 10:33 pm »
So with Roon there won't be any pops and clicks like on BDP-1?

HI

Sorry I have never used ROON with the BDP-1 so not sure on that count.  Are you sure the ROON server you are using meets spec?

james
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2017, 11:14 am by James Tanner »

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #39 on: 24 Feb 2017, 12:06 am »
HI

james

I got pretty exited when there was a hope of upgrading my SST2 amps to S3 (cubed). Unfortunately, all the regulatory junk got in the way and it wasn't feasible for  Bryston to offer that upgrade, despite their best efforts to do so.

James, do you think there's any chance that the BDP2 to BDP3 upgrade will fall through also, or is the approval process different/easier since it's not an amplifier?

- Garrett