Bryston BIT question for James and others...

TJ-Sully

Re: Bryston BIT question for James and others...
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2017, 11:32 pm »
Will do Grit. It'll be some time, as we just bought a new house and need to move, etc, etc.
But I'll definitely let you know. Cheers, TJ  :thumb:

TJ-Sully

« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2017, 11:06 pm »
I'd LOVE to hear your impressions when you get it integrated into your system!

Hey Grit, the BIT 20 arrived today! But now i need the adapter. should have ordered it earlier  :duh: :duh:

I'll give my impressions in a couple weeks.

cheers, TJ

zoom25

« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2017, 11:34 pm »
Hello James,

I've been wondering what Bryston/Torus thinks about plugging analog and digital gear into the same BIT. Since all the outlets share the transformer and thus the noise, do you think there is a benefit in having a separate BIT for the digital gear (like the BDP and BDA) and then another BIT for the analog stuff (BP preamps and BHA-1)? Or do you think the noise from the Bryston digital gear is negligible and best to have all the gear on one BIT? Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2017, 12:40 pm »
Hello James,

I've been wondering what Bryston/Torus thinks about plugging analog and digital gear into the same BIT. Since all the outlets share the transformer and thus the noise, do you think there is a benefit in having a separate BIT for the digital gear (like the BDP and BDA) and then another BIT for the analog stuff (BP preamps and BHA-1)? Or do you think the noise from the Bryston digital gear is negligible and best to have all the gear on one BIT? Thanks.

HI

Yes if you think your digital gear has issues then a separate BIT would make sense but testing and back emf with a standard BIT seems to support the fact that the digital and analog gear do not seem to affect each other when connected to the same BIT.

james

zoom25

« Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2017, 03:55 pm »
HI

Yes if you think your digital gear has issues then a separate BIT would make sense but testing and back emf with a standard BIT seems to support the fact that the digital and analog gear do not seem to affect each other when connected to the same BIT.

james

Thanks, James. Yes, my question was actually meant with all Bryston digital and analog gear in mind. Good to know about the back emf.

jtinto

« Reply #25 on: 30 Nov 2017, 11:15 pm »
In my system, BDA-3 to BP-26 to 7B3, I have tried connecting all to either no power conditioning, a PS Audio P5 or a BIT-15.

I use shielded 14G cables with the BDA-3 and the BP-26/MPS-2 and unshielded 12G to each of the 7B3 amps.

The best sound is with everything plugged into the BIT-15.

dznutz

« Reply #26 on: 1 Dec 2017, 04:17 am »
In my system, BDA-3 to BP-26 to 7B3, I have tried connecting all to either no power conditioning, a PS Audio P5 or a BIT-15.

I use shielded 14G cables with the BDA-3 and the BP-26/MPS-2 and unshielded 12G to each of the 7B3 amps.

The best sound is with everything plugged into the BIT-15.

Very interesting, I moved from a bit20 to a P10 and the P10 is far superior

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #27 on: 1 Dec 2017, 09:56 am »
Hey Grit, the BIT 20 arrived today! But now i need the adapter. should have ordered it earlier  :duh: :duh:

I'll give my impressions in a couple weeks.

cheers, TJ

I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear what you think!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #28 on: 1 Dec 2017, 11:33 am »
Good power cleansing will always benefit an audio system.  :thumb:

jtinto

« Reply #29 on: 1 Dec 2017, 10:26 pm »
Very interesting, I moved from a bit20 to a P10 and the P10 is far superior

I don't doubt it dznutz. The P10 is great if you have bad/noisy power.

I liked the P5, but it wasn't enough VA for my pair of 7B3s, and those humming fans would get annoying.

The P10 has more VA and no fans, but still not as much VA as the BIT-15, because it uses more power to regenerate than the BIT uses to transform.

Cheers

TJ-Sully

« Reply #30 on: 13 Dec 2017, 02:44 am »
Hey Grit

I've had the BIT 20 running in the system for about a week - and have had 2 extended listening sessions.

This will probably sound weird, but my first thought is - the music seems to SLOW down.  I know this is not possible but that's the feel i have - and it's a lovely sensation.

Secondly, the soundstage is more evident and clear. The proverbial space between the instruments becomes much wider and seemingly quiet. Real quiet.

The BIT20 makes a noticeable difference immediately. And it is not subtle.

The BIT20 is going to stay in my system for a long long time. I am looking forward to new discoveries in the music over the coming weeks, with rum and eggnog on a few occasions I'm sure!

Happy camper over here in New Brunswick!  :thumb:

Cheers, TJ

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #31 on: 13 Dec 2017, 05:25 am »
TJ, that's great to hear! So happy for you. I've relished getting one myself.

What all do you have plugged in to it? I'm mostly curious if adding things such as TV sets, DVRs, etc have an audible impact?'

- Garrett

dznutz

« Reply #32 on: 13 Dec 2017, 09:54 pm »
I don't doubt it dznutz. The P10 is great if you have bad/noisy power.

I liked the P5, but it wasn't enough VA for my pair of 7B3s, and those humming fans would get annoying.

The P10 has more VA and no fans, but still not as much VA as the BIT-15, because it uses more power to regenerate than the BIT uses to transform.

Cheers

The P10 has no fans as you mentioned so no concerns there.  Also, I think you may be confused as to what the Torus does.  The Bit is just a power conditioner and energy bank.  Its mainly just one gigantic toroidal transformer that stores energy and filters out all DC on the line.  It doesnt do anything magical but can certainly keep power hungry components from starving and protecting them to some extent.

And all power is noisy, doesnt matter where you live

TJ-Sully

« Reply #33 on: 14 Dec 2017, 01:44 am »
TJ, that's great to hear! So happy for you. I've relished getting one myself.

What all do you have plugged in to it? I'm mostly curious if adding things such as TV sets, DVRs, etc have an audible impact?'

- Garrett

Thanks Garrett.

My first listening session, I only plugged my 4BSST2 into the BIT.  Sounded great.
Second session - i loaded it up - BDA2, BDP1, BP20, Oppo player, big honking TV, Classe CA100 amp, and it still sounded great! No noticeable change.

Mind you, i still have many hours of critical listening to do.

To complicate the critical listening,  I very recently added new speaker cables and new speaker stands into the mix. So i need to factor the new sounds these changes bring into my observations of the BIT20.

All good fun!

TJ

jtinto

« Reply #34 on: 14 Dec 2017, 02:18 am »
Good to hear that it works with all your gear TJ  :thumb:

The BIT-15 works so well in my two-channel system that I ordered another one for my home theatre.

JT

TJ-Sully

« Reply #35 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:42 am »
Load up on the BIT's. Nice work Jtinto

TJ-Sully

« Reply #36 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:45 am »
Hi James

With the BIT20 into the system - what is the recommended sequencing for turning off the gear?  Amp first, then front end, then BIT?

T

jtinto

« Reply #37 on: 15 Dec 2017, 02:07 am »
TJ, I was thinking about the power-up/down sequence too.

The breaker on the front of the BIT doesn't feel like a switch. It might be designed to be turned on most of the time?

If you're turning your system on/off manually, I think that your turn-off sequence is right. Amp first, then front end, then BIT.

In my system, I've found that wiring everything up to a 12v trigger works really well and I leave the BIT on all the time. I use the MPS-2 to turn on the BDA-3 and 7B3. The amps soft start with a short delay and no pops turning on or off. Good job Bryston.

zoom25

« Reply #38 on: 15 Dec 2017, 02:30 am »
Follow the start of signal path for start up and then reverse it during shutoff. The BIT should be on 24/7 if you want surge protection. I leave the Torus and all my gear on 24/7. If I had a Class A/B or Class A, then I would turn that off, but still leave all the pre-amps, DACs and sources on 24/7. I find it sounds better and consistent that way.

VinBob

« Reply #39 on: 6 Feb 2024, 12:36 am »
Hi All,

I am in the process of receiving a BIT20 produced in late 2015. I noticed that it doesn't have the fuse option on the back like the later versions do. I was wondering whether this is a major improvement on the older units or whether nothing to worry about. Also given the age, should I look into looking to get the unit serviced or is there no need with these transformers? I guess I am just concerned that given the age of the unit, it may not be performing as well as it can??

Also, I don't have a dedicated 20amp circuit to plug into, but will be looking to use the standard 15amp mains with a possible upgrade in future. What would be the downside to using the BIT20 via a standard 15amp power service? Would the unit simply shutdown and go into a protective mode if I was to draw too many amps with all of my equipment powered up? Just to provide some context, I will be looking to have the following equipment plugged in: Bryston 4b3 amp, Bryston BP-26, Bryston MPS-2, CD player, Lumin Streamer, Tuner and Cyrus phono using a dedicated PSU.

Would appreciate any guidance/advice in preparation for use later in the week - thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vin.